Laptops

General discussion

Restore and Backup Problem

by mdh114 / January 22, 2013 12:53 AM PST

I have a Windows 7 Aspire 5750G Laptop. Yesterday I installed a new Font that I inadvertently installed a toolbar with it. I can't remember the name of the programe, but when I tried to uninstall it, it wasn't there, so I tried to restore my laptop to an earlier date, now nothing works. All I get is The backup and restore application could not start due to an internal error: Class not registered (0X80040154). can someone help please. Marg

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Restore and Backup Problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Restore and Backup Problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Toolbars for a BROWSER?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 22, 2013 12:58 AM PST

If so, those rarely are in add/remove programs and System Restore does that if you have any number of AntiVirus suites.

I will not write nice about such suites as they should announce they blocked system restore.

And about the toolbar. Unless I know which browser all I can offer is that it's under manage addins.
Bob

Collapse -
Toobar
by mdh114 / January 22, 2013 2:11 AM PST

The toolbar that appears is just a Grey Band with nothing on it except a spanner and a grey cross in a box at the right hand side of the toolbar I have right clicked on it and nothing happens. I have gone into Google settings and it is not their.

I have tried AdwCleaner and CC cleaner nothing works. I am having to work with an Ethernet cable plugged in as my WiFi no longer works even thought my router is working properly. Sad

Collapse -
Without a browser name I can't offer much.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 22, 2013 2:28 AM PST
In reply to: Toobar

Sorry but the lack of detail means we can't do much.
Bob

Collapse -
Backup and Restore
by mdh114 / January 22, 2013 5:02 AM PST

I use Google Chrome as my browser and Hotmail as my email.

Since using my laptop to a previous restore point everything has gone wrong, I can't get into uninstall, I can't use my restore point, I can't use anything in My Control Panel. Network sharing will not open either.

Nothing shows in Task manager except Chrome which I am on. because nothing else works.

Even my browser doesn't work unless I use and Ethernet cable attached to my Virgin router which normally works fine Wi-Fi.

Collapse -
We'll tackle Chrome is a sec.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 22, 2013 5:10 AM PST
In reply to: Backup and Restore

But System Restore does indeed break if you install Norton, Kapersky and some other "protection." Not one is nice enough to pop up and warn you that they blocked the restore. For that, I have no kind words. OK, this is that detail I alluded to. If you want to tackle system restore we have to know what antivirus and other "protection" apps are installed.

About Chrome add ons. http://support.google.com/chrome/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=142064 covers how to disable and block plugins. So that's not a mystery at all.

http://www.ghacks.net/2012/07/23/how-to-manage-disable-or-remove-google-chrome-plugins/ shows the screens and tells that to delete it manually is as simple as moving the plugin out of the Chrome plugin folder.
Bob

Collapse -
Backup and Restore
by mdh114 / January 22, 2013 5:34 AM PST

Is the information I gave below enough. Thanks

Collapse -
If you want to tackle system restore we have to know what
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 22, 2013 5:44 AM PST

" If you want to tackle system restore we have to know what antivirus and other "protection" apps are installed."

I supplied some items about Chrome plugins but this is starting to sound like a very bad infection or even the old "limited user account."
Bob

Collapse -
Backup and Restore
by mdh114 / January 22, 2013 7:01 AM PST

I use avast, Trustee Rapport, I think I may also run Bit Defender. Spybot S-B,and CC cleaner. does this help.

Collapse -
Sounds like you have overlapping protections.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 22, 2013 7:36 AM PST

We know that Spybot has created issues with McAfee but you have quite the brew there. I can't tell you if it's toxic or not but it looks like nothing I'd use.
Bob

Collapse -
Backup and Restore
by mdh114 / January 22, 2013 5:38 AM PST

I use Google Chrome as my browser and Hotmail as my email.

Since using my laptop to a previous restore point everything has gone wrong, I can't get into uninstall, I can't use my restore point, I can't use anything in My Control Panel. Network sharing will not open either.

Nothing shows in Task manager except Chrome which I am on. because nothing else works.

Even my browser doesn't work unless I use and Ethernet cable attached to my Virgin router which normally works fine Wi-Fi.

Does this help

Collapse -
Backup and Restore
by mdh114 / January 22, 2013 5:37 AM PST
In reply to: Try this:

No

Collapse -
My backup / restore recommendations
by wpgwpg / January 22, 2013 5:48 AM PST

I suggest you get away from the Windows backup program and get yourself a good commercial backup program. I've seen forums fraught with problem reports for the Windows one. I know I was very unimpressed when I tried it. Three I'm familiar with and like are Norton Ghost (which I've been using for 8 years without the 1st problem), Easeus Todo Backup Free, which you can download from http://www.todo-backup.com/products/home/free-backup-software.htm and Memeo which has a 30 day free trial and you can buy it for $29.99 - you can download it from http://memeo.com . You can get Ghost for next to nothing (like I did) if you watch the sales.
The March 2012 issue of PC World was very high on the FREE program from Easeus and so is CNET. In my experience with a variety of configurations I have to say I'm very impressed. Like Ghost it will back up to a networked drive, and it will create a boot CD for when your PC won't boot. See CNET's review of it at
http://download.cnet.com/Easeus-Todo-Backup-Free/3000-2242_4-10964460.html?tag=mncol;1#editorsreview .
-
CNET has a lot of backup program reviews at
http://download.cnet.com/windows/backup-software/?tag=contentBody;sideBar .

Some of these are free (last time I checked there were over 300), some have free trials (over 1000), and some are purchase only (over 200).
-
External hard drives are best for backup. You can get a 500 GB one for around $60 and a 1 TB one for around $70. You can also buy a 32 GB flash drive for under $15. It's the best insurance you can ever buy!

-
I hope this helps. Good luck

Collapse -
Backup and Restore
by mdh114 / January 22, 2013 6:56 AM PST

I have Avast, CCCleaner, and Spybot S-D.
I will definitely do this tomorrow. bed time now as I have been standing all day. because I need to be plugged into my router via an Ethernet. Do you mean I should back up my whole machine then go back to Factory Settings?

Collapse -
Factory settings sound pretty good
by wpgwpg / January 22, 2013 7:06 AM PST

If nothing much works, I think backing up your data and anything else you want to save, then restoring to factory settings would be what I'd do. Then I'd start making full system backups at regular intervals. Sooner or later all PCs will develop problems requiring a backup to recover from. Personally I'd never consider having a computer without numerous backups. If you have full system backups, you can usually recover in well under an hour. If you don't, it can be very painful.

Good luck.

Collapse -
Backup and Restore
by mdh114 / January 22, 2013 9:18 PM PST

Can I backup everything to Cloud?

Collapse -
Re: backup everything
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 22, 2013 9:30 PM PST

Depends on how much "everything" is. If it's your new 3 TB external disk full with downloaded movies, I wouldn't do it.
And it depends on your backup program. Can that write to the cloud?

Kees

Collapse -
Backup and Restore
by mdh114 / January 23, 2013 9:32 PM PST

I have now bought an external Hard Drive. However, when I plugged it in I got the message outlined below.
One or more features failed to install Details: Error: 1601. The Windows installer could not be accessed. contact your support personnel to verify that the Windows Installer service is properly registered.

I then tried Factory Restore: However, Microsoft.NET Framework. Unhandled exception has occurred in your application. If you click continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. If you click Quit, the application will close immediately. class not registered (Exception from HRESULT.

I carried on and this came up: I only got Failed to Initialize Volume Shadow Copy service. Maybe some files cannot be backed up. Please close the smaller software and Windows system snapshot and then try again.

I don't know what else to try:(

Collapse -
All those messages are on google.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 24, 2013 1:16 AM PST

If I had a banged up OS I can still backup if I can copy files out. It appears you are trying to use Windows backup software which is going to be a bad idea.

Why not copy files out?

Why not boot a LIVE CD of some OS like BartPE or Ubuntu (no install required) to copy your files out.
Bob

Collapse -
Looks Bad. I suggest repair windows
by AreTwo-2 / January 22, 2013 11:26 AM PST

Looks Bad. I suggest repair windows by starting up your laptop from the supplied recovery disk, and go through the rebuild/repair (sorry I'm not familiar with W7) process. This rebuilds windows, and also leaves your apps in tact.
If you ever (sorry) get through this tragedy, I use Easeus Home (free) backup. it is great but will only recover from USB drive, not LAN - as I found out Sad although it let me backup to my NAS!!
I have used XP recovery disks quite successfully on Dell Laptops a few times.

Collapse -
If you're looking for a good free backup program,
by wpgwpg / January 22, 2013 11:08 PM PST

Try the Easeus Todo Backup Free, which you can download from http://www.todo-backup.com/products/home/free-backup-software.htm . The March 2012 issue of PC World was very high on the FREE program from Easeus and so is CNET. In my experience with a variety of configurations I have to say I'm very impressed. It will back up to a networked drive, and it will create a boot CD for when your PC won't boot. See CNET's review of it at
http://download.cnet.com/Easeus-Todo-Backup-Free/3000-2242_4-10964460.html?tag=mncol;1#editorsreview .

Good luck.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.