Computer Help

General discussion

restart - no operating system found.

by aer0s0ldreams / February 23, 2007 5:31 AM PST

At first my computer had Windows XP Home installed. I recently bought Windows XP proffesional and i also bought a new hard drive (it is a 120gb Seagate). I do not know which one of these caused this problem but anyways...

I installed both XP proffesional and the hard drive normally and followed all of the instructions provided. Now when i RESTART my computer it displays an error saying no operating system was found. If i completely shut off my computer and turn it back on everything works fine.

I have also noticed that if i access C:\Documents and Settings i have a folder for all of my current profiles along with the username i had before i installed these two things. When i view the properties of this folder it says the size is 0 bytes and contains no files. If i try to open or delete the folder it says "C:\Documents and Settings\Owner is not accessible." "Access is denied".

I would appreciate if someone could tell me how to fix this. If you need any other information on my system just ask. Thanks.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: restart - no operating system found.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: restart - no operating system found.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
*Crosses fingers and makes post*
by scoolio / February 23, 2007 6:01 AM PST

Your description of the problem is just vague enough to not be very helpful.

Assuming that you don't dual/triple/whatever boot your PC you should only have one operating system installed.

It seems from your post that you can get into windows just fine on subsequent restarts so I'd check the following things.

Examine your boot.ini

Typically it looks like this:
[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

Check your event viewer for warnings and error messages. If you're lucky and you have a misbehaving file that reports and logs entries into the event viewer you may be able to more easily identify the culprit.

There are dozens of things that could be wrong but try some of the built in windows maintainence tools like checkdisk/scandisk/defrag and if you get no joy then post back for more tips.

Also try to use spinrite 6.0. You can buy it and return it for a full refund if you don't find it helpful. You can also borrow it from a buddy if you have a buddy that has it. The owner of spinrite just asks that if you use it and it works for you then pay him for a copy.

If all else fails restore your last image backup (You do image your computer dont you? Happy

Scoolio

Collapse -
hmm
by aer0s0ldreams / February 23, 2007 6:36 AM PST

boot.ini:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /cmdcons

i looked at the event viewer but i dont know what exactly to look for. dont see anything that really jumps out at me though. I looked at the sources in the application and the system tab really quick.

Collapse -
still no OS on restart.
by aer0s0ldreams / February 23, 2007 3:33 PM PST

I just tried Checkdisk (checkdisk is XPs version of Scandisk, scan disk is for 95,98,and ME)and i tried defrag. Then i tried to restart again and i found the same error. After i turned my computer off and back on i looked at the event viewer and there were no new events besides the normal ones.

any other suggestions besides buying software to fix it?

Collapse -
If your problem is only with RESTARTS...
by Edward ODaniel / February 24, 2007 2:01 AM PST

take a close look at your power settings in both the Control Panel and also in the BIOS.

When you loaded XP Professional did you also take the time to load the Motherboard driver software? (such problems as you describe are an indication that you didn't do so)

Collapse -
ok
by aer0s0ldreams / February 24, 2007 7:08 AM PST

yes restarts are the only problem i believe.
besides that annoying folder.

what would be wrong with my power settings?
they seem fine...
and i didnt know motherboards have drivers...
you mean upgrade my bios?
or my chipset drivers?

Collapse -
Drivers
by Stan Chambers / February 24, 2007 7:44 AM PST
In reply to: ok

You should have a driver cd that came with the computer. Many times people simply let Windows install whatever driver is available, and sometimes they work. Unfortunately, not always. You need to install the drivers from the cd, then check the mfg website for updates, if any, for your particular model. Check in the Device Manager for possible driver problems. Any question marks or exclamation marks beside an entry indicates a problem with the device.

Collapse -
possible errors?
by aer0s0ldreams / February 24, 2007 9:29 AM PST
In reply to: Drivers

1. what is mfg?
2. ill try to find the cd(s) that came with my computer
3. the only error i could find in Event Viewer that could have anything to do with it is:

"DCOM got error "The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it. " attempting to start the service IISADMIN with arguments "" in order to run the server:
{A9E69610-B80D-11D0-B9B9-00A0C922E750}

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp."

i don't know what exactly this is and the Help and support center didnt really help me out that much (surprise)

so could this be it? if not ill post back when i try the cd.

and thanks a lot to everyone that is trying to help me Happy

Collapse -
Mfg. Website
by Stan Chambers / February 24, 2007 10:31 AM PST
In reply to: possible errors?

The manufacturer would be whomever made your hardware. If this is some Dell, Gateway, HP, machine, check their website of newer versions of drivers for your model #----. On the other hand, if you know the maker of your motherboard, you can also check their site for updates.
Check the release dates to determine if they are newer than what you already have, for each piece of hardware.

Collapse -
alright.
by aer0s0ldreams / February 24, 2007 11:25 AM PST
In reply to: Mfg. Website

ohh i knew what a manufacturer was i just didnt know people abbreviated it with mfg.
apparantly my computer didnt come with any cds...
and someone told me that your motherboard model is shown on the bottom left of the screen on startup but...i dont see anything in the bottom left of the screen during the whole process...

maybe this is a problem?

ill try to find something on the hp site though...

Collapse -
err
by aer0s0ldreams / February 24, 2007 11:46 AM PST
In reply to: Mfg. Website

ok i found out my motherboard was a TriGem Glendale.
i went to the hp site and downloaded drivers and an update to BIOS for that motherboard. That didnt seem to do anything really.

Collapse -
a few thoughts
by Les28 / February 24, 2007 9:23 PM PST

Download free SIW for windows find out a bit about what's in the PC and have a look at hard drive temperatures.It's just a thought but over heated drive bearings on a warm boot can slow the spin speed down and the drive is not recognised, the time delay with a cold boot can be enough to cool the bearings, that's why I mentioned drive temperatures in SIW.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/System-Info/SIW.shtml

The DCOM message in event viewer have a look here
http://forum.adiscon.com/topic,435.html
or here
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;189649

I see you have a dual boot XP Pro and Recovery Console have a look in Control Panel/System/ Advanced Tab start up and recovery settings on that page click settings button, on the new page is Windows XP Pro showing in the default operating system window ?

The file in my documents you mentioned can you take ownership and open it ?

Right click the folder , and then click Properties.
Click the Security tab.
Click Add, and then type the name of the user to whom you want to give access to the folder. Typically, this is the account with which you are logged on (The USER NAME you are logged in as). Click OK, and then click OK.
Double-click the folder to open it.

Have you thought of removing the dual boot option, ie removing the recovery console boot option and seeing if this makes any difference to the restart
How to delete the Recovery Console
To delete the Recovery Console: 1. Restart your computer, click Start, click My Computer, and then double-click the hard disk where you installed the Recovery Console.
2. On the Tools menu, click Folder Options, and then click the View tab.
3. Click Show hidden files and folders, click to clear the Hide protected operating system files check box, and then click OK.
4. At the root folder, delete the Cmdcons folder and the Cmldr file.
5. At the root folder, right-click the Boot.ini file, and then click Properties.
6. Click to clear the Read-only check box, and then click OK.

Warning: Modifying the Boot.ini file incorrectly may prevent your computer from restarting. Make sure that you delete only the entry for the Recovery Console. Also, change the attribute for the Boot.ini file back to a read-only state after you finish this procedure. Open the Boot.ini file in Microsoft Windows Notepad, and remove the entry for the Recovery Console. It looks similar to this:
C:\cmdcons\bootsect.dat="Microsoft Windows Recovery Console" /cmdcons
7. Save the file and close it.

You can always reinstall the recovery console later as a boot option, I have it as a boot option on my PC.

Here is a mention of a similar situation with warm boot failure
http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-6230-0.html?forumID=102&threadID=206074&messageID=2137534
This seems to be a fault with the drive controller, have you had the problem ever since you got the new drive?

FIXMBR command from recovery console seems uncalled for as the sytem boots OK from cold.

Is your master file table heavily fragmented, if you use windows defrag and look at the results is MFT heavily fragmented? Windows defrag doesn't defrag MFT.

Have you tried creating a desktop shortcut icon for restart and tried different time settings with it?

Right click on the desktop
Click [New] [Shortcut] to open the Create Shortcut Wizard
Type [shutdown -r -t 00] without the brackets.
Click [Next] and type a descriptive name of your choosing for the shortcut
Click [Finish]
with 00 on the end it's immediate restart try that first and see if it works then try 10 on the end, a 10 second delay and see if that works, I'm thinking of hard drive bearing cooling times.

Sorry not to be specific, hope something helps, Les.

Collapse -
info
by aer0s0ldreams / February 26, 2007 5:12 AM PST
In reply to: a few thoughts

Regarding possible temperature problems:
tried your restart shortcuts with 00 and 10 seconds = still no restart

using IWI i found
SEAGATE 120gb (my new HD)
-Primary controller - slave drive
-41 degrees celsius (106F) is that too hot?
-7200rpm

WD 40gb (came with my pc)
-Primary controller - master drive
-doesnt show temperature (COULD THIS BE A PROBLEM?)
-5400rpm

---------------------
*I also noticed in IWI that the "owner" account doesnt show up in the local users tab which im guessing is a good thing (the owner account is the folder i cant delete from when i had XP Home installed)

----------------------
::THE FOLDER::
this is pretty weird...i dont know why but with all folders in my computer there is no "security" tab in the properties, there is only "General", "Sharing", and "Customize"

----------------------
::Deleting files and editting BOOT.ini::
When i axcess my C: drive i found the Cmdcons folder but not the Cmldr. I deleted the Cmdcons anyways and i took out the recovery OS in my boot.ini. I tried restarting and still nothing changed.

I also have a drive (drive E:) which is named HP_RECOVERY. This had both of these folders. I deleted both and took the recovery OS out of this boot.ini as well. tried restarting and still nothing...
--here are the 2 boot.ini mentioned above:

C:drive boot.ini:
[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

E:drive BOOT.ini:
[boot loader]
timeout=0
default=C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

the xp PRO os's in these have different names (no /NoExecute=OptIn in the E: drive's boot.ini...E: has partition 1 and C: has partition 2.

----------------
HERE'S WHAT MY STARTUP AND RECOVERY SAYS MY DEFAULT OS IS:
"Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
(same as named in my C: drive's boot.ini)

Collapse -
slave drive
by Les28 / February 26, 2007 3:31 PM PST
In reply to: info

Thanks for the info, you have 2 hard drives C and E both sharing the same IDE ribbon ? With the operating system on C drive the new 7200 rpm Seagate ? If so why is the C drive a slave drive ? Have you tried changing the drive arrangement, switching the drives on the IDE ribbon, the new larger drive C at the end of the ribbon and changing the jumpers making it the master and plugging E your old drive into the middle of the ribbon and setting its jumpers to slave. Have a look at this site about duplicated lines referring to the same operating system and also the item about msconfig/boot ini/check boot paths.
http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-1922769.php

Collapse -
not sure...but...
by aer0s0ldreams / February 27, 2007 12:30 AM PST
In reply to: slave drive

i think i worded that wrong or something but
my old hard drive is C: (my main HD)
my new seagate is H: (doesnt have any boot.ini or anything)
and i think E: (HP_RECOVERY) is a partition of C: its not an actual drive. it comes with every hp i think...

Collapse -
What is your comfort level with setting jumpers
by scoolio / February 27, 2007 2:23 AM PST
In reply to: not sure...but...

To help simplify this thread lets try this.

Your new hard drive probably shipped with the jumper set to CS or cable select.

Depending on which header pin you plugged him into on the ribbon cable (big wide grey cable with black pin holes in it)one of the drives will be selected as primary (master) and the other one will be secondary (slave).

Before we go changing out jumpers I have to ask what happens if we remove or unplug and unpower the new hard drive? Do all of our problems go away?

I saw where someone had advised you to check out your device manager. Have you looked for the yellow question marked items?

Scoolio

Collapse -
more info
by aer0s0ldreams / February 27, 2007 3:22 AM PST

my old main hd(C:) is primary master
my new seagate (H:) is primary slave
ill try unplugging the seagate and see what happens though...

and about event viewer...
every time i start my computer i get 2 question marks under application which say:

1)EvntAgnt:
TraceFileName parameter not located in registry; Default trace file used is .
and..
2)EvntAgnt:
TraceLevel parameter not located in registry; Default trace level used is 32.

i dont know if either of those would be causing the problem
and under the system tab i get...
occasional DCOM warnings...(red x)
and stuff about IIS (red x)
actually i just got one that ive never seen before...
when i tried to play a cd like a half hour ago that says...
cdrom:
The device, \Device\CdRom1, has a bad block.

but thats all i get...

Collapse -
The information you have provided is NOT...
by Edward ODaniel / February 27, 2007 3:52 AM PST
In reply to: info

saying what you have said.

We agree that you have two hard drives with the primary (drive 0) being the 40 GB and the slave (drive 1) being the 160 GB.

Then you provided this (I am bolding what you provided and commenting unbolded):

THE FOLDER::
this is pretty weird...i dont know why but with all folders in my computer there is no "security" tab in the properties, there is only "General", "Sharing", and "Customize"

That is what you see when you are NOT logged in as Administrator in XP Home.

----------------------
::Deleting files and editting BOOT.ini::
When i axcess my C: drive i found the Cmdcons folder but not the Cmldr. I deleted the Cmdcons anyways and i took out the recovery OS in my boot.ini. I tried restarting and still nothing changed.

I also have a drive (drive E:) which is named HP_RECOVERY. This had both of these folders. I deleted both and took the recovery OS out of this boot.ini as well. tried restarting and still nothing...

Not sure why you deleted the Command Console installed on the hard drive as a boot option. Not important though until we get into the Boot.ini files you show

--here are the 2 boot.ini mentioned above:

C:drive boot.ini:
[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]

This shows that Windows is installed on the second partition of the 40 GB hard drive (first partition likely that HP_Recovery partition you mentioned). It shows that by default it will boot into Windows in 30 seconds but it indicates that that Windows is XP pro although you said it was XP Home on the C: drive.

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS - this is the ARC path that tells us the disk and partition. It is read as follows:
multi(0) - this is the ordinal number of the controller and is always 0
disk(0) - this is NOT used when the path starts with multi (only when path starts with SCSI) and is always 0
rdisk(0) - this is the ordinal for the specific disk on the controller and thus for IDE is always 0 or 1 (primary or slave on the primary controller) or 0 to 3 for disks on a dual chanel EIDE controller.
partition(2) - this is the partition number and all partitions get a number (except for extended partitions as their logical partitions get the number) abd they begin with 1 rather than 0

E:drive BOOT.ini:
[boot loader]
timeout=0
default=C:\CMDCONS\BOOTSECT.DAT
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

If this boot.ini file is actually located on your E: drive it indicates that the default OS is the Command Console (which you say you deleted) and that Windows XP pro is installed on the first partition of the drive.

All this would indicate that you had disconnected the C: drive when you installed XP Pro.

Try remaning the boot.ini file located on your C: drive to boot.ini.old. Then open notepad and enter the following (copy and paste might be best) and save it to C:\boot.ini

[boot loader]
timeout=30
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

When you reboot you should get the menu allowing you to select XP Pro on the second drive as a boot option and when selected boot into it.

Collapse -
blah...
by aer0s0ldreams / February 27, 2007 11:50 AM PST

ok so i edited the boot.ini in my C: drive to what you told me to.
that made it worse if anything...

now the 2 options for boot are
xp home
and xp pro

if i arrow down to xp pro and press enter it says im missing:
c:/system32/hal.dll
or something like that

if select the home option it boots normal
but my computer properties it says my default os is home.

and i still cant restart

:/

Collapse -
If it "made it worse" change it back...
by Edward ODaniel / February 28, 2007 5:56 AM PST
In reply to: blah...

but the message you now get indicates that possibly when installing XP Pro the wrong Hardware Abstraction Layer was installed. Easy to fix but only if you are aware of what you are doing as it is difficult to explain. Easy cure for that is to leave the drives hooked up and reinstall XP Pro.

The failure to restart still sounds like Motherboard drivers haven't been installed.

Collapse -
alright.
by aer0s0ldreams / February 28, 2007 7:49 AM PST

so something wrong happened when i installed xp pro?
i can reinstall it and keep my file system and all of my data right?

Collapse -
Yes, provided that...
by Edward ODaniel / March 1, 2007 12:50 AM PST
In reply to: alright.

you can perform a non-destructive installation.

If yours is a retail installation CD this is an option. If your is an OEM installation CD it will overwrite the existing XP Pro installation requiring you to reinstall most applications but should retain your data if that data was not within the Windows directory.

Always play it safe and back up what you either can't afford or simply don't want to lose.

This link might prove helpful:
http://www.windowsxpprofessional.windowsreinstall.com/

Collapse -
thank you :]
by aer0s0ldreams / March 1, 2007 4:38 AM PST
In reply to: Yes, provided that...

ok. thanks a lot for all of the help.
i will try to reinstall xp and let you know how it went.
just wanted to make sure i wasnt going to lose everything because i have a lot of stuff that i cant get back and a lot of stuff i cant make a backup of...

and how would i go about making my seagate drive the main drive instead of my old HD?
would it just require switching the things on the cable?
if you could tell me or send me to a site that explains it that would be greatly appreciated.
thanks!

Collapse -
Stop what your doing and think real hard
by scoolio / March 1, 2007 7:42 AM PST
In reply to: thank you :]

You've gotten alot of good advice from different sources but my strongest recommendation for you at this point is to spend some money and buy a brand new drive (40 or 6o) would be perfect.

Remove all the existing drives from the tower.

Install your brand new drive.

Install windows back on this new PC.

Install all your drivers and do windows updates.

Image your PC at this point. (drivesnapshot, ghost, altiris, whatever).

Now change the jumpers on drive(s) you removed to CS or Slave. CS preferred.

Remount your new drives and grab any data you need from the new slave drives.

You will need to reinstall all your applications.

If seen dozens of people perform a windows reinstall and screw it up and wipe out everything they had.

Go spend 100$ on a new drive and use your existing drives as slave drives.

Or buy your favorite network/hardware geek beer and pizza and have him/her do the reinstall.

You'll hate yourself if you wipe out your own data.

Scoolio

Collapse -
my laptop computer say's "Operating System Not found"
by Truelife2 / March 12, 2007 3:19 AM PDT

if my laptop computer say's "Operating System Not found" when i boot it up, and it does not go back to windows xp at all, does that mean it broke or can it be fixed.

Please email me a response at Davidwatkins@truelife2.net
becuase i do usally surf the net, i just check my email

Collapse -
We Post Responses Here And...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 12, 2007 8:41 AM PDT

.in your case, it appears like your hard drive has died.. That is...assuming you've removed any floppy discs and CD's from their drives.. It should probably be replaced.

By the way, posting your personal e-mail address is asking for SPAM is generally not recommended on forums such as these.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.