Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Resizing the System Drive (C:\) in Windows ME

by cnot / January 19, 2011 2:58 AM PST

I have an older computer running Windows ME that I have kept to run a couple of useful peripherals which are not compatible with newer systems. The System drive is 4GB which is more than adequate for the operating system and the few program files installed. I have a second hard disk solely for any data I wish to save on the computer.

There is a second extremely small partition sharing the main drive with C:\(so small it can only be formatted as FAT16 rather than FAT32 as on the C:\ partition). I would like to reduce the C:\ partition by about a third and add the gained space to the second partition which I would format as FAT32.

I have attempted to carry out the task using Paragon Partition Manager 8 and this appears to work except that I have not confirmed the changes as the allocated drive letters of the two partitions disappear in the Paragon drive view window and are replaced by asterisks. If I knew that the drive letters (especially the C for the system drive) would be reinstated after I confirm the changes and allow the procedure to take place, I would feel happier. I don't want any headaches regarding unrecognized drives.

Any advice, thoughts or suggestions would be welcome. Thank you.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Resizing the System Drive (C:\) in Windows ME
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Resizing the System Drive (C:\) in Windows ME
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Since the drive is that small
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 19, 2011 6:38 PM PST

Why not back up the entire drive with CLONEZILLA, then try what you want? With a backup of the entire drive you can test with inpunity.
Bob

Collapse -
Resizing the System Drive (C:\) in Windows ME
by cnot / January 20, 2011 5:35 PM PST

Thanks Bob,

Yes, creating a drive image would provide recovery possibilities in the event of a catastrophe if the backup software was entirely reliable. I know nothing about Clonezilla and my searches on the web seem to show it is compatible with WindowsXP and later but does not include earlier Windows operating systems. If the worst comes to the worst, I can always reformat the drive and reinstall Windows ME but I am hoping for a less tedious solution. I am exploring the possibility of using a Linux live CD but only a few work with my limited ME system.

Collapse -
Resizing the System Drive (C:\) in Windows ME - Update
by cnot / January 20, 2011 7:42 PM PST

I ran an Upup (Puppy Linux)live CD on the system and took the risk of using the GPartEd application within it to modify my main drive partitions. Everything ran smoothly and now, when I boot Windows ME, the drives are recognized and have their original drive letters. It was much easier than I anticipated and I have the outcome I was hoping for. Thanks for your interest.

By the way, I can thoroughly recommend Puppy Linux live cd/dvd. I sometimes run the latest version live dvd on my main XP Professional system. With the Wine option installed, many of my windows applications work. Other software contained allows access and editing of text, *.doc, *.xls and *.jpg files. Unfortunately my ME system does not have a DVD drive and there is not enough room for Wine on the Upup cd however I still have access to my documents, spreadsheets and picture files stored on the system's second hard drive.

Collapse -
Clonezilla is fine with older dos based windows.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 20, 2011 8:04 PM PST

Even Windows ME.

Good to see you used GPARTED. I didn't need to use Puppy as GPARTED is out there as a boot CD with just that.
Bob

Collapse -
Resizing the System Drive (C:\) in Windows ME - Clonezilla
by cnot / January 21, 2011 1:10 AM PST

Thanks Bob,

I happened to have Puppy and the new partition on the main drive will be used for Puppy related files so I thought I'd give GPartED a go from the CD. I'll download Clonezilla and give it a try sounds as if it might be useful.

Kes.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech Tip

Stuck without Internet and want to watch movies?

CNET shows you how to download movies and TV shows onto your device using Amazon Prime so you'll always be entertained.