HP forum

Question

Reset BIOS, now computer is very VERY slow, help please

by ZLanphere / October 31, 2012 10:50 AM PDT

Trying to fix a friend's computer that kept getting the BSOD. Since he'd already got everything he wanted off of it I wiped the drive with killdisk and installed XP Pro. One of the BSOD mentioned shutting down because a program was trying to write to ROM.
After the clean install it was running very fast but still getting the BSOD with an nvidia driver error from the onboard graphics. I got a new vid card and put it in, then removed the CMOS battery for 5 min to reset the BIOS in case it was corrupted somehow. Ever since then it is BSODless, but takes like 10-15 min. to load windows and is 'throw it out the window' slow with everything else.
I'm thinking perhaps there was something in the BIOS before reset that allowed the computer to make use of something that made it fast, and now it can't use it because of the reset. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I found a website where you can pay 20 bucks to get BIOS updates from Phoenix but would love to find an update for free. System info is:
HP Pavilion Media Center m8200n, Phoenix Award BIOS CMOS, chipset: Athlon 1100 rev0, version: 5.27 06/10/2008, motherboard: mcp61pm-hm (Nettle2), Running Win XP Pro SP3

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Reset BIOS, now computer is very VERY slow, help please
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Reset BIOS, now computer is very VERY slow, help please
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
HP for the most part is fine with BIOS defaults.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 31, 2012 10:55 AM PDT

But I can't tell if you loaded those after the reset.

It's possible you need to change the HDD "mode" but this is something the owner should know.

And a few more things. No to bios updates. Those are free at hp.com and again, unplug USB devices for a test boot.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Fix for this issue
by H8tanked / March 15, 2013 6:23 AM PDT

After the CMOS is reset, you need to cold boot with an ethernet cable plugged in connected to a live connection, like your router. Sounds silly, but it works.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.