Cameras

General discussion

Rescuing corrupted photos

by NANCYAC / July 22, 2006 3:47 PM PDT

I had an SD card become corrupted on my trip to Russia. I did not know to ask Sandisk to try to rescue the pics. I had downloaded everything on the card before returning it to Sandisk.
The corrupt pics have thumbnails that are whole and I need exact instructions on how to preserve them in a usable form, since they are all that I have.
Remember they are now on my hard drive and my screensaver program is able to fill the screen with them but I can't "open" them.
Thanks,Gay

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Rescuing corrupted photos
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Rescuing corrupted photos
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
here is something
by 1mobilman / August 6, 2006 4:13 PM PDT

Here is something you should have at all times if you use any kind of memory card to save pictures. Down below I enclosed a link for some software just for what happened to you and it is a life saver.It will also sometimes save you from having to send your stuff back to the manf.

http://www.lexar.com/software/image_rescue.html

Joe D
God Bless And have A Great Day

Collapse -
CORRUPT IMAGES
by NANCYAC / August 11, 2006 6:09 PM PDT
In reply to: here is something

JOE D, THANKS FOR THE INFO ON RESCUE IMAGE. UNFORTUNATELY MY IMAGES WERE DOWNLOADED TO MY HARD DRIVE SO i DON'T KNOW IF RESCUE IMAGE WILL WORK. I'LL TRY TO REACH THEM AND GET SOME ANSWERS.
SHALOM,
GAYBAR

Collapse -
here is something
by PJS Llandudno / August 17, 2006 8:04 PM PDT

Sounds interesting but will it rescue corrupted images on a hard drive? Dealer erased mine during an upgrade. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Collapse -
Something free that I have heard some recovery....
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 18, 2006 12:41 AM PDT

Look up

PC FILE INSPECTOR on google.com

Try that.

Bob

Collapse -
O.K.
by PJS Llandudno / August 18, 2006 4:09 AM PDT

Thanks, Bob. Will do and will post results.

Collapse -
GetDataback recovered images from a formatted HD
by Kiddpeat / August 18, 2006 1:58 AM PDT

for me, and has a lot of good reviews. You can download a trial version to find out what it thinks it can recover. You must pay for it before it does any actual recovery.

You do realize though that the images may have been overwritten when the OS was reinstalled? If so, they are gone.

Collapse -
Probably overwritten on install.
by PJS Llandudno / August 18, 2006 4:12 AM PDT

Thanks. I have a terrible fear that this is what happened. However, I will try anyway.

Collapse -
This did it for me.
by Lazarusuk / August 19, 2006 7:41 AM PDT

Hi im new so be nice I have had photos saved from my SD card when it went bad on me and I had formated it and I have used the same program to check what I could retreve from my H/Drive after I had to format it.
The program is Called PC Inspecter smart recovery and it is Freeware you get it from www.Convar.com the only problem was it renamed the files but they were all there and that is what matters.
The site is German but you just pick your country from the drop down menue give it a go.

Collapse -
CORRUPTED PHOTOS
by NANCYAC / August 25, 2006 10:08 AM PDT
In reply to: This did it for me.

THANKS, I'VE BEEN LOOKING FOR THIS. I ACTUALLY USED IT AND IT RECOVERED MOST OF THE IMAGES BUT I STILL HAVE SOME THAT ARE 1/3 THERE & 2/3 BLACK OR GREY OR WEIRD, SIGH.
I WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT YOU IN HOPES WE HAD SOME COMMON INTEREST AND WAS DISAPPOINTED TO FIND YOUR PROFILE EMPTY.
IT DID PROMPT ME TO GO FILL SOME OF MINE OUT,
AGAIN, THANK YOU SO MUCH.
AND, THANKS TO ALL THE OTHERS WHO TRIED TO HELP!

Collapse -
YES PC-Inspector
by Rangi111 / January 7, 2013 1:53 PM PST
In reply to: This did it for me.

Wow this solution actually did something for me. It recovered approximately 30% of the photos from a corrupt SD card. It achieved a lot of than I thought it could. And it is indeed free.

Collapse -
You could do a screen capture if you are seeing a large
by Kiddpeat / August 12, 2006 12:22 AM PDT

diplay on the monitor. Not great, but better than nothing. Paste into a photo editor and save.

Collapse -
detdataback
by 1mobilman / August 18, 2006 5:45 AM PDT

I have this piece of software and it is very very good it will tell you what can be recovered and what cannot be recovered. I used it already and it has a copuple of different methods of recoving your files and pictures.you can scan it just for jpg's or bmp's you has endless combinations of recoving items. It is worth the investment I read some or the reviews on it and it had excellent reviews that is why I purchased it.
Joe D

Collapse -
Rescuing "corrupted" photos
by kelsco95 / August 18, 2006 9:07 AM PDT

the first thing you should do is open up your screensaver and see where the files are being "seen" from...open that folder up in windows explorer and if you have to change the extension for the photos to .jpg and open them up in any image editor and then resave them to another folder...to see the files (they might be hidden) you might have to open the folder and then go to "tools", "folder options", "view" tab, and select "show hidden files and folders". If your screensaver still sees them, then the files are still on the computer and not written over...Hope this helps...

Collapse -
something I did
by krackers / August 23, 2006 8:10 AM PDT

When I had a bad photo card I transferred the photos to my computer and sent the card back. A new one came and I transferred the photos to the new card and sent it to have the photos recovered which they did.

Collapse -
Why didn't you just use the photos that you transferred to
by Kiddpeat / August 23, 2006 8:33 AM PDT
In reply to: something I did

the computer? I must be missing something here.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.