Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

res://ieframe.dll security settings?don't know how to change

by cat95t / September 10, 2008 2:13 AM PDT

Hi, another person with the res://ieframe.dll problem where a pop up warns me the current webpage is trying to open a trusted site.

I read a few threads including this one (http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6620_102-0.html?forumID=14&threadID=289267&messageID=2738298&tag=forums06;search-results#2738298 ).

Here is what I tried:
internet options/security tab/trusted sites/custom settings, but I am clueless as to what my settings should be once in custom. The above thread suggested that users with the res://ieframe.dll problem look at their websites in less priveledged content zone settings. I looked at my less priveledged content zone and here is what I found: prompt is clicked for that setting. So, do I enable or disable that setting?

Thank you for any answers in advance!!!!!!

possibly 4 yr old Dell Dimension 4700 (probably lots of outdated stuff on here, but don't know how to correct any of the outdates) : (
IE7
Windows xp sp2
Mcaffee Total Protection with site advisor plus (as others have said-makes my computer run real slow!!)
Ad-aware
Spyware blaster
had spybot, but Mcaffee suggested ditching spybot..... sigh
only 60% (88.99 GB) free memory space left.... sigh

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: res://ieframe.dll security settings?don't know how to change
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: res://ieframe.dll security settings?don't know how to change
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Are You Using A HOSTS File?
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / September 10, 2008 1:38 PM PDT

If so, then the "res://ieframe.dll problem" is probably caused when external javascripts from blocked sites are blocked. It's basically telling you that the page is not found.

It is also possible to eliminate the popup by changing the setting below:

Open Control Panel-Internet Options-Security tab-Trusted Sites-Custom Level button. Scroll down and "enable" or "disable" the setting below. (Disable is safer.)

"Web sites in less privileged Web content zones can navigate into this zone"

Click on OK, "apply", then OK, etc.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
res://ieframe.dll problem
by Supgergran / July 22, 2009 4:22 AM PDT

Many many thanks Griff - although this post is months old, your excellent answer has cured the very excruciatingly annoying popup messange which has only recently started appearing on my pc. I'm glad I Googled the popup message and found this thread Happy

Collapse -
(NT) Good Job & Glad It Helped !
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / July 22, 2009 6:18 AM PDT
Collapse -
"res://ieframe.dll problem"
by Haymoms / July 31, 2009 1:13 PM PDT

I can't thank you enough for helping me solve the "res://ieframe.dll problem". It drove us crazy trying to get around our websites with the pop-up warning. It was fixed in less than a minute.
Thank you again for your post.

Collapse -
Vema123, Your Post Was Removed For Adverts
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / August 5, 2009 6:33 AM PDT

The tagline advertising/solicitation is against forum policies.. Your help is appreciated but please out the inappropriate links.

In response to your question:

Hi Grif,

Do you think it also possible that such a problem exist due to some virus affected sites trying to affect our sites as well? I've experienced a similar problem some time ago (I forget how exactly it reads), however my computer was infected then. Thank you for your valuable advise:-)

Stan

Basically, you are correct.. Most HOSTS files block adware/spyware sites and it will those sites that throw the error.. That's exactly why I mentioned that "enabling" the setting mentioned was less safe.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
ieframe.dll
by Rexnathan / September 1, 2009 1:39 AM PDT

Thanks Grif, I nominate you be "Tech Lord". Thanks again for your posted help.

Rex

Collapse -
ieframes.dill problem fixed
by Bluehog1 / September 3, 2009 7:34 AM PDT

Grif,
you posted the answer 1 year ago but it still helped.

thank you very much,

Collapse -
(NT) Glad We Could Help !
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / September 3, 2009 8:11 AM PDT
Collapse -
res://ieframe.dll
by impushstart / December 7, 2009 5:48 AM PST
In reply to: Glad We Could Help !

I followed the instruction, disabled and it still pops up when on Amazon.com Any other ideas ? Running XP I think I have ie8 ? My brain wont let me remember how to check Sad Im so tired of the ieframe poping up I dont even want to use the comp

Collapse -
Only ONE Site??
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 7, 2009 6:53 AM PST
In reply to: res://ieframe.dll

If it's only happening at Amazon, it well could be an issue with Amazon itself..

Still, there are lots of options but we'll need to know EXACTLY what you've got on your computer.. For the version of Windows XP, we need to know which service pack.. (RIGHT click on "My Computer", choose "Properties"..You'll see the Windows version and SP installed.) For the version of Internet Explorer, open IE, then click on "Help" in the upper left, choose "About Internet Explorer".)

In addition, are you using a HOSTS file? If you don't know, then you aren't running one.. If so, then access the HOSTS file and rename it to "HOSTS.txt" and see if it fixes the issue. If you don't have a special HOSTS file on the computer, then something else is blocking the coding on the Amazon site.. Try the steps below to attempt a fix:

1. Clean out all Temporary Internet Files and Cookies by using Tool/Internet Options in IE.

1a. Make sure you have SP3 installed on your computer and all critical Windows Updates included.

2. Disable any Phishing Filters running. On Internet Explorer, it will be the "Smart Screen Filter". (Control Panel/Internet Options/Advanced tab, scroll to the "Security" section and UNCHECK the "Enable Smart Screen Filter".)

3. Reset Internet Explorer security options back to their default. (Control Panel/Internet Options/Security tab, then click on the "Reset All Zones To their default levels".

4. Try using a different browser such as the free Firefox when visiting Amazon.

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/personal.html

Hope this helps and let us know how it goes.

Grif

Collapse -
Only ONE Site??
by impushstart / December 11, 2009 12:05 AM PST
In reply to: Only ONE Site??

Windows XP Home, Version 2002, SP 3, IE 8,
I reset zones to default - Unchecked Enable smart screen filters, I wanted to try as few as possible to see which fix worked , It was 1 of 2 or both Happy
So far that seems to have taken care of it ?
Will update if any changes,
Thanks you so much !!!

Collapse -
(NT) Thanks For Posting Back !
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 11, 2009 2:25 AM PST
In reply to: Only ONE Site??
Collapse -
IE isn't working at all
by Jon91498 / January 8, 2010 12:30 AM PST

Last week malware or some type of virus attacked my computer. I ran an anti-virus scan and it got rid of whatever was on my desktop. However, IE7 does not work and each website I try to access IE says the page cannot be found. While a web page tries to load, this is what appears in the corner of the IE window: res://ieframe.dil/dnserrordiagoff.htm...
I deleted the browsing history, cookies, etc and have restarted my computer multiple times but IE still doesn't work. Any suggestions???

Collapse -
Just one idea.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 8, 2010 12:45 AM PST

There will be more.

Do other browsers work? And why use IE because it's a favorite attack vector?

-> Ok the one idea here. I've seen that page where the malware has installed/changed IE to use a proxy. Set IE's proxy to none.
Bob

Collapse -
IE 7 doesn't work! res://ieframe.dll/dnserrordiagoff.htm
by Jon91498 / January 15, 2010 5:57 AM PST
In reply to: Just one idea.

Every time I open IE7 I get the following error: res://ieframe.dll/dnserrordiagoff.htm
IE 7 worked fine for two or three months then this crap started. I can use the internet when I'm logged into AOL, but not just IE7 by itself. What the hell is the problem? This is soooo frustrating.

Collapse -
res://ieframe.dll problem
by lannah99 / May 29, 2010 3:04 AM PDT

This si great! I've had this popup every time I on Amazon. I had to click no three times on each page I went to. Thanks.

Collapse -
Thank you
by rebbecay / November 2, 2011 3:32 PM PDT

Thank you Grif for this. Appreciate your sharing your knowledge.

Collapse -
ieframe.dll popup problem solved!

I am soooo suprised at how many top level techs have no answer to this problem. Anyway here is the answer:

The popup occurs because the Tools>Internet Options>Security>Custom Level>"Launching programs and files in an IFRAME" is set to 'Prompt'. Setting it to either 'Enable' or 'Disable' will stop the popup.

This is for IE8 and is independent of the OS...

Collapse -
Solved Previously In This Thread
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 5, 2011 5:32 AM PST
Collapse -
res//ieframe.dll and trusted site pop up
by gfa3 / November 27, 2011 5:22 AM PST

The reason that the pop up for trusted sites / res//ieframe.dll happens on Amazon is convoluted. The IE8 Trusted sites defalt is "https://". To add Amazon you must uncheck the "https://" requirement to allow amazon to be added to the trusted sites list. When you do this IE8 asks once per log on to amazon if you trust the site. by clicking yes the ugly trusted site RES//isframe.dll pop up goe away. Amazon does not use the https:// designator.

This is a product of everybody trying to protect against accessing untrusted sites and not everyone is on the same page.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.