Computer Help forum

General discussion

Requested lookup key as not found

by RICHHNR / April 20, 2007 3:55 PM PDT

My 500mhz 10 year computer with windows XP has developed the above error message. the message ends with "in any activation context". It then on clicking next says "The filename, directory name,or volume label syntax is incorect". I open on my home page normally and can login here but whenever I try another web site I get these messages. I have reinstalled Windows XP and Office 2003 with no help. I have cleaned my directory and removed unnecessary files. Most often when I use a program which needs to go to the Internet it seems to malfunction, e.g. McAfee Secuerity Center screen is blank BUT the program seems to run periodically as scheduled.It also asks for permission when a program asks for acess.Typing Mcafee.com in the address bar gives the same error messages.
Others seem to start loading O.K. but before they complete I get a runtime error
But when I use one site a broker's trading station it downloads and works fine. Can anyone help with this malfunction? I would be very grateful. Thank you.
Harold

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Requested lookup key as not found
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Requested lookup key as not found
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
More info, please.
by caktus / April 21, 2007 6:27 AM PDT

I don't know That I could be of help with this, myself. But surely some will. In any case, some more info will be helpful.

Manufacture and model of the computer.

Do I understand correctly that the machine is 10 years old.

Are you using XP Home or pro? SP1 or SP?

How much RAM is installed?

How long have you been using XP on the 10 year old machine? Has XP ever worked well on this machine?

What Internet browser are you using?

Have you run and anti-virus/spyware scans?

Collapse -
SYSTEM INFO
by RICHHNR / April 21, 2007 10:41 AM PDT
In reply to: More info, please.

Made by ABC Computers in S.CA; Custom Order
Runs on XP Professional, Version 2002-SP2-384 RAM; 501 MHz
It is 10 years old and was running well before the error messages began but it was slow.
Spybot and AdAware were used regularly and run recently.Those utilities worked fine today booted from their shortcuts but I cannot enter Mcafee, Norton or similar adresses in the address bar or Google a word or phrase without getting the error messages-"requested lookup key was not found in any active activation context".
The McAfee Security Center shortcut loads a blank page but scheduled scans have run supposedly detecting problems but have had no report from that process.
Internet is by Verzon DSL

Collapse -
Using IE7?
by sunwatcher / April 21, 2007 11:26 AM PDT

I've read that this could be a problem with Internet Explorer 7. A suggested fix is to uninstall, then reinstall IE7, making sure to reboot the PC immediately after reinstalling. You may have to revert back to IE6 if that doesn't work. Another option is to try a different web browser.

Collapse -
IE7 VS. IE6
by RICHHNR / April 21, 2007 11:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Using IE7?

I have not upgraded to IE7 unless it happened automatically. I cannot find for sure something to tell me what version is running.
When I try to execute Windows or Microsoft updates from the start panel, I get the same old message.
Thank you for your thought and suggestions.
My new computer is working fine on the currnt Verizon DSL.

Collapse -
To Find The IE Version...
by sunwatcher / April 21, 2007 11:57 AM PDT
In reply to: IE7 VS. IE6

In Internet Explorer select "Help" then "About Internet Explorer". That will show you what version you have.

The other option is to try a different browser such as Mozilla Firefox. If another browser works fine, then the issue is with IE.

Collapse -
IE VERSION
by RICHHNR / April 21, 2007 12:07 PM PDT

THANKS. I SHOULD HAVE KNOWN. I AM USING VERSION 6.
IS THERE A WAY TO UNINSTALL AND REINSTALL INTERNET EXPLORER OR FIX IT?

Collapse -
To Repair IE6
by sunwatcher / April 21, 2007 12:36 PM PDT
In reply to: IE VERSION

If your IE6 files are corrupt, this method will repair them.

From the "Start" menu, select "Run". In the dialogue box, enter "sfc /scannow", then click "OK". You may be prompted to insert your WindowsXP disk, so have it ready.

This site has more info:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/318378

Collapse -
RESULTS
by RICHHNR / April 21, 2007 1:05 PM PDT
In reply to: To Repair IE6

I typed sfc/scannow without quotations marks into Run and no program could be found.
I searched both hard drives and no file of that name was found.
I searched the windows XP installation disc in Drive D putting D:\sfc/scannow into run and it was not found.
I searched the disc in drive D and no file by that name was found.
Thanks again even if I'm not getting a result.
Any other thoughts?

Collapse -
Add a space...
by sunwatcher / April 21, 2007 3:06 PM PDT
In reply to: RESULTS

There should be a space after "sfc".

sfc /scannnow

That should do it.

Collapse -
RICHHNR, try this.
by caktus / April 21, 2007 3:15 PM PDT
In reply to: RESULTS

Go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt > type exactly or copy and past into the Command Prompt window "sfc /scannow" w/o the quotes. NOTE that there is a space between sfc and /scannow. Then press Enter. sfc /scannow [should] begin within a moment or two.

Hope this is helpful.

Charlie

Collapse -
Error Message
by RICHHNR / April 23, 2007 12:41 PM PDT
In reply to: RICHHNR, try this.

I did as directed. I should have noticed the space. The program ran for a long time after the XP Installation disc was inserted when requested. There was no report or any demands made during that process. I then installed XP again. No change. I have also redone my D-Link Ethernet router and the Verizon DSL modem making my new computer the primary. I have tried to reinstall McAfee 2004 Professinal on the old computer and just get a blank screen. Programs which worked before do not connect now, even my home page is no longer available. BUT just now AdAware downloaded new dfinitions and is running a check.
I have talked to Verizon help people(in India) and they have run through routine things and told me the touble was with the d-Link router or my hardware and to call the manufacturer- HAH!
I really appreciate the thought and time from you guys. I am now considering a hard drive reformat and reinstalling everythng since I think it is software not hardware (I went through all the Device Manager hardware items in the System section and found everything working properly). Agape.
Harold

Collapse -
SOLUTION (?)
by xohmyheadx / April 27, 2007 8:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Error Message

Rich, I only ever get this message after I have run a repair install of XP over the top of a machine that is fully patched and has IE7 installed. It is possible you automatically got IE7 installed since it was released via Automatic Updates. The reapir install of XP corrupts the IE7 install and leaves some mutant hybrid IE6/IE7 "thing" behind that will not allow you to manually go to any other sites. This reinstall causes many other issues as well.

To overcome this error message, close IE. Go to Control Panel. First open Security Center > Automatic Updates > Turn OFF Auto Updates. Then go to Internet Options > and change your home page to http://update.microsoft.com > OK.

Launch IE. It will go to the update site. Install all automatic update software (install Active-X control), then click EXPRESS. Download any and all updates. Reboot if necessary. Then return to your home page in IE (update.microsoft.com). Click EXPRESS once again. You will be buried in 70-100 updates. Apply them ALL. One of them will be Internet Explorer 7. This will repair your browser and eliminate this error, as well as many other problems you are having.

Let us know how it goes!

Collapse -
SOLUTION
by RICHHNR / April 29, 2007 4:31 PM PDT
In reply to: SOLUTION (?)

THAT DID IT. AS FAR AS I KNOW I WAS USING IE6. THE PROCESS/STEPS TOOK A LONG TIME BUT WHEN DONE I AM USING IE7 WITHOUT PROBLEM IN 24-36 HOURS. I HAD TO REDOWNLOAD MACFE TO GET ITS SECURITY CNTER TO WORK.
THANK YOU MUCH. THIS OLD COMPUTER IS WORKING SMOOTHER IF SLOWLY THAN IT HAS IN A LONG TIME.
RICHH

Collapse -
Yes!
by xohmyheadx / April 30, 2007 12:06 AM PDT
In reply to: SOLUTION

Well done and you're welcome. It's about time I gave back. Glad we could nail it. Happy

Collapse -
Bravo et merci...
by bgin / July 20, 2008 1:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes!

Bravo et merci pour cette proc

Collapse -
Yes Yes
by vppn / October 8, 2009 4:28 AM PDT

Worked for me too. Thank you..

Collapse -
Thanks!
by superjohnson97 / September 20, 2012 9:34 AM PDT

Thank you very much! This solved my problem completely!!

Collapse -
OMG this worked when nothing else did
by aeatmon29 / May 20, 2011 2:20 AM PDT
In reply to: SOLUTION (?)

Thank you so much xohmyheadx! This worked like a charm! You r a rockstar!!!!

Collapse -
Great topic!
by lucivieira / May 20, 2011 6:57 AM PDT

Great topic! Excellent Information

<div>Thanks,
</div>

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.