Samsung forum

General discussion

Request: New LED TV, save audio language (possible? how?)

by jintxo / January 29, 2011 3:48 AM PST

Hello there, I hope somebody from Samsung is listening Happy

I have recently bought a UE32C6530. Very nice TV and I am essentially happy with it BUT there is one small problem that is a BIG nuisance.

Audio Language selection (shown when pressing "Tools" on the remote)is not saved when changing channels. Allow me to ilustrate with an example:

- Here in Spain we have DVB channels broadcast over the air
- Most of the time, movies are dubbed and you can change the audio to the original language. On this TV using "Tools" button on the remote and then changing "Language Selection" from that menu.
- When watching a movie I always switch to the original language.
- Then I change to another channel, during commercial brake, for example.
- When I change back to the movie, the Audio Language setting is reset to the default so I have to go through the Tools menu every time I change channels.

Sad

No, setting the preferred audio language does not help, since the names of the original languaes are not "English" or "French" which is what the TV expects but "Undefined" or "V.O." or "Alternate" so the TV is not prepared to switch to those automatically.

Many thanks for any help anybody can offer with this.

Cedric

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Request: New LED TV, save audio language (possible? how?)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Request: New LED TV, save audio language (possible? how?)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
New LED TV, save audio language (possible? how?)
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 31, 2011 6:02 AM PST

jintxo,

Being in the U.S., I'm a little unfamiliar with the broadcast options in your area. I'll be happy to escalate this issue (through the U.S.), but at this time I don't have a solution to offer. I don't believe that saving that setting for each channel is an option for multi-language broadcasts, but that's about as far as I know.

I'd also encourage you to reach out to the Samsung customer service center in your region, since they may be better able to speak on this.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Thanks
by jintxo / January 31, 2011 4:10 PM PST

Thanks for your time HD_Tech Happy

Yes I contacted Samsung about it through the web page contact form, they said that they were not aware of any way of saving the Audio Language selection other than setting the "Preferred Language" selection in the General menu of the TV.

Kind of disapointing, since my 20 euro DVB receiver box (now retired with my old TV) saved that selection and I have seen that Sony TVs do to Sad

Maybe somebody else can chime in? It's just weird that a menu selection setting is not saved, seems like an easy thing to fix in the software. Any possibility of future updates fixing this?

Cedric

Collapse -
Thanks
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 1, 2011 2:54 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks

jintxo,

I can look into it, but I'll have no way of knowing if it arrives or not.

In the meantime, I'll be happy to bump this back up for others to comment.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Escalation?
by jintxo / February 1, 2011 4:24 PM PST
In reply to: Thanks

You mentioned escalating the issue; is there anything I can do to help with that?

Cedric

Collapse -
Sorry for double posting
by jintxo / February 1, 2011 4:29 PM PST
In reply to: Escalation?

Sorry for double-posting, but I forgot to mention that I have a friend with LE32C630 that would be very happy to have this fixed as well.

I would imagine that this would affect just about everybody that watches DVB broadcasts in countries that dub the movies and offer the original language as an option.

Cedric

Collapse -
Escalation?
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 3, 2011 11:08 AM PST

jintxo,

Sure there is. You can report it to the Samsung Customer Service Center in your region. The more calls they get on any issue, the quicker it can be reviewed.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Not very useful
by jintxo / February 4, 2011 5:38 PM PST

Yes, I have reported it a couple times. All I get back is a "copy/paste" reply that has nothing to do with my question.

I don't think they are even reading it...

Can you help?

Cedric

Collapse -
Not very useful
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / February 7, 2011 3:47 AM PST
In reply to: Not very useful

jintxo,

I've escalated it on my end, but I have no way of knowing the effect.

I've done what I can.

--HDTech

Collapse -
Thanks again
by jintxo / February 8, 2011 4:43 PM PST
In reply to: Not very useful

Thank you, I have my fingers crossed Happy Plus I'm holding my breath until this is fixed (yah right!)

Cedric

Collapse -
seriously?
by Elij47 / January 6, 2014 5:34 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks again

its 2014 and there is still impossible to save language for specific channels (In all samsung "Smart" TVs)! I mean how hard is it to add this feature? give me the source code Ill add it my self...
ps
every other manufacturer have this option samsung is such samsung

Collapse -
Dissapointed with Samsung
by DaveMalloca / March 18, 2014 5:00 AM PDT
In reply to: seriously?

I had a 10 year old sony and when you set the audio language to VO or English it stayed set untill you powered of the tv or changed it back The new Samsung is such a pain 6 click every time you want to change language and if you change channel or use any other smart (dum) featur you have to re set Come on Samsung sort this problem

Collapse -
Options?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 18, 2014 5:08 AM PDT

1. Get a Logitech Harmony.
2. Return it as unsuitable for your needs or just defective.
Bob

PS. This thread is more than 1143 days old. Please start a new discussion at http://forums.cnet.com/7719-13973_102-146.html so folk can find your complaint.

Collapse -
Just a suggestion
by Baco81 / May 6, 2011 6:27 AM PDT

Hi! I can be a little late but I am Spanish as well and I am interested in the same thing.
I have a Samsung B series TV which is suffering from the same "issue". After a lot of researching, the best thing I achieved is to have the second audio language set as default for those channels who broadcast the second one tagged as "V.O."
What you need to do (hopefully it also works in C series TV) is:

1) Set your country to "Other"

2) and set English as your first and second audio language in preferences (or any other, the important thing here is not to select Spanish).

After that, you'll be enjoying series and movies in their original version by default (once again, it only works for those channels whos tagged the second audio as "V.O." so if the second audio appears as "undefined", it definitely won?t work).

Before set your country to "Other", back up your channel list to an USB so you can restore it afterwards, because otherwise you'll have to tune the TV again.

And sorry for my poor English!

Collapse -
merci beaucoup
by jintxo / May 12, 2011 10:27 PM PDT
In reply to: Just a suggestion

Gracias Baco, lo intentar

Collapse -
thank you
by jintxo / June 10, 2011 3:47 PM PDT
In reply to: Just a suggestion

It works as you say on my C series 6500. Many thanks for the tip!!!

Cedric

Collapse -
I have the same problem!!!! Please help
by tarazonix / January 20, 2013 6:22 PM PST
In reply to: thank you

Hi, I'm Spanish and have the same issue. My TV is an UE40ES8000. Could you post the exact steps you followed to fix this? Because in my firmware I don't see the option to change country (it appears only for analog channels).

Many thanks,

Carlos

Collapse -
LE32A557 - in Spain - preferring english - same problem
by webewitchme / December 18, 2011 9:07 PM PST

Really really annoying!

Collapse -
Samsung's feeble reply
by webewitchme / December 19, 2011 11:30 PM PST

I wrote to Samsung.com/es and they replied saying if the channel's language isn't properly defined then it's not possible to save the choice in preferences.

Collapse -
There is that awful other reason.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 20, 2011 5:21 AM PST
In reply to: Samsung's feeble reply

There is a PATENT on that feature.

Don't laugh. Years ago we got hit with a patent infringement because we had a LED to indicate the power was on. OK, laugh.
Bob

Collapse -
Sigh..... OK how about this?
by webewitchme / December 20, 2011 6:43 AM PST

Instead of 'Undefined' , how about 'Un*****ed' ?

Collapse -
For now.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 20, 2011 6:51 AM PST

For now we vote with our wallet. And the market follows the money.

So far and without fail, and no disrespect to the forum host, this maker and most others do not add such later. That is, unless the feature is in the manual, they don't add it later.
Bob

Collapse -
Other companies do upgrade their firmware
by webewitchme / December 20, 2011 8:28 PM PST
In reply to: For now.

There are companies that do upgrade firmware regularly

Collapse -
Actually folk loathe those companies over that issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 21, 2011 12:31 AM PST

I'm hearing more folk are ready for anything else than those companies and products.

Collapse -
yeah right! that's why they are ....top of their trees.
by webewitchme / January 11, 2012 12:41 AM PST

Popularity does bring out detractors but you are surely not denying the success and continued growth of those companies.

Collapse -
yeah right! that's why they are ....top of their trees.
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 16, 2012 9:24 AM PST

webewitchme,

Collapse -
"How would we do that?"
by webewitchme / April 9, 2012 9:52 PM PDT

Firmware update.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.