TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

Replacing my blown fuse on my Onkyo home receiver

by jorge59la / January 24, 2009 10:28 AM PST

can i replace my 10amp/125V fuse with a 10amp/250V fuse?
can it damage anything?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Replacing my blown fuse on my Onkyo home receiver
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Replacing my blown fuse on my Onkyo home receiver
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) Why wouldn't you use the exact same fuse? (n/t)
by Pepe7 / January 24, 2009 10:56 AM PST
Collapse -
by jorge59la / January 24, 2009 10:59 AM PST

cant find it. been told that fuse has been replaced by the 10A/250V.

Collapse -
if Onkyo told you that, then it should be fine, maybe better
by jostenmeat / January 24, 2009 11:06 AM PST
In reply to: fuse

I know with even some recent models, some resistors were used that were not strong enough. Particularly display on receiver for instance.

Consumers have done the replacements themselves, and even provided photographed, detailed instructions on how to do it.

Collapse -
Blown fuse in Onkyo TX 8211 Receiver
by drewcady / March 12, 2009 9:23 AM PDT

I have a roughly 1 1/2 year old receiver and I recently hooked up an ipod to the phono jacks on back. After about twenty minutes of playing, the main fuse blew. I replaced it after disconnecting the ipod jacks, and the new fuse blew as soon as I plugged the power line in. Any ideas out there? Sounds to me like the fuse may have been challenged by the new component and now is insufficient for the unit?

Collapse -
sorry man I don't know what to say
by jostenmeat / March 13, 2009 7:16 AM PDT

you can try forums that will have more knowledgable folks, EE's and such, but precaution is paramount with amplifiers (which can have DEADLY power stored in them). Hence, my reluctance to offer anything, not that I do have anything to offer.

Is that really only 1.5 yr old? I can see that CNET archived it on 1/1/05.

For the cost of shipping, repairing, etc, I think I'd just get a new unit. I know there's a Sherwood at Radio Shack for $100, that has been on sale for as low as $60 previously.

Collapse -
by jonnybones / March 15, 2009 2:25 AM PDT

:-\ you do not replace a Porsche with a Kia. Come on jostenmeat you know better than that. If you are uncomfortable with fixing it yourself, pay the $50 to get it fixed.

Collapse -
by jostenmeat / March 15, 2009 6:05 AM PDT
In reply to: -

maybe YOU can help him diagnose it. Because I can't. Have you ever priced the Dx costs? I've only once, and I can tell you it ain't cheap. Its the Dx that costs; the fix is the easy part.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.