Laptops

Question

Replacing Dell Inspiron Laptop Hard Drive

by harishkumar09 / March 19, 2013 11:41 PM PDT

Hi Guys,

I have a Dell Inspiron N5010 Laptop whose internal hard drive has malfunctioned and I want to replace it. What would be the best brand and model I should go for? I am looking for 500 GB or a 320 GB capacity. I have a budget not in excess of $92 or INR 5000.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Replacing Dell Inspiron Laptop Hard Drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Replacing Dell Inspiron Laptop Hard Drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
You're going to need some things
by wpgwpg / March 19, 2013 11:57 PM PDT

You'll need to have either a full system backup, discs to restore to factory settings, or an install disc for Windows plus a set of drivers to get Windows back up and working. Then if you don't have a full system backup, you'll need to reinstall your applications. I hope you have your data backed up.
You'll need a 2.5" hard drive, likely SATA but check that it's not IDE. Western Digital and Seagate are the most popular brands, but I've seen a lot of Toshiba ones on the market lately too. I just bought a Toshiba hard drive a couple of weeks ago, and it's working fine - so far so good.

Good luck.

Collapse -
What is SATA and IDE?
by harishkumar09 / March 21, 2013 2:20 AM PDT

What is the difference between IDE and SATA (checked on the internet and I am not sure I understood much)?
Why should I make sure I should not use IDE and go for only SATA?

Yes, I have my data backed up.

Collapse -
SATA is the new standard, IDE is the old
by wpgwpg / March 21, 2013 2:35 AM PDT
In reply to: What is SATA and IDE?

These two standards use different cables for hard drives as well as different technical specifications. SATA is much faster than IDE, but if your laptop only supports IDE, you won't be able to easily install a SATA drive, especially in a laptop where everything is very cramped for space.

Collapse -
How do you find out if it is SATA or IDE?
by harishkumar09 / March 23, 2013 9:30 PM PDT

How can I find out if my hard drive as SATA or IDE?

Also my Dell representative tells me that if the original HDD was 320 GB, if I install a HDD of 500 GB capacity, I might experience problems. Is it true?

Collapse -
The difference is that your n5010 can't use an IDE drive.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 21, 2013 2:36 AM PDT
In reply to: What is SATA and IDE?

Why look further?

Collapse -
Can't Understand
by harishkumar09 / March 23, 2013 9:31 PM PDT

I am sorry, my apologies, but I could not understand what you meant ?

Collapse -
Re: drive
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 23, 2013 9:38 PM PDT
In reply to: Can't Understand

Bob means you should buy a 2.5" SATA drive for this laptop.

The change from 320 to 500 GB is not likely to cause problems, I think. But from your post I understand Dell doesn't guarantee that.

Kees

Collapse -
Thanks!
by harishkumar09 / March 23, 2013 10:08 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: drive

Thanks Kees_B , but can you tell me how do you know I should go for SATA and not IDE? Are you familiar with the Dell Inspiron configuration?

Collapse -
Re: SATA
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 23, 2013 10:35 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks!
Collapse -
Thanks !
by harishkumar09 / March 23, 2013 10:42 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: SATA

Thanks Kees_B !

Collapse -
And ...
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 23, 2013 10:36 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks!
Collapse -
Am looking!
by harishkumar09 / March 23, 2013 10:42 PM PDT
In reply to: And ...

Am looking !

Collapse -
Did it help?
by anishgt / July 19, 2013 8:14 PM PDT
In reply to: Am looking!

Hey There

It seems my laptop's hard disk has taken a beating as well..
I'm looking to replace it and was wondering which harddrive you bought (even I have an N5010).
I'm confused whether the laptop supports 2.5 inch or 3.5 inch and whether it supports SATA 6.0 Gbps

Thanks
Anish

Collapse -
Sorry about that Chief.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 24, 2013 5:47 AM PDT
In reply to: Can't Understand

I guess we'll have to use the Cone of Silence next time.

-> Code for -> I looked at the model to find it only accepted SATA drives.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Not a great slection
by Willy / March 20, 2013 12:24 AM PDT

There aren't that many manufacturers of HDs out there. So, your selection is going to be small to choose from. Pricing for similar sized HDs even in your neck of the woods isn't going to vary much. So, depending on the size, then pick one that fits your budget. If you have to save some more, do that if required to get what you want. Remember, cheap is cheap so any so-called bargains may bite you later.

tada -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.