Windows 7 forum

General discussion

Replacin Windows 7 Desktop Search with The Old Search Compan

by scanner1132 / December 14, 2009 10:56 PM PST

Is there any way to replace the Desktop Search with the 'Ole Dog ( Search Companion ) ?? Please help??
I want my Doggy Back!!! You can not find all the related files with Desktop search like you could with Search Companion.

Thanks'

Thomas scanner1143@bellsouth.net

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Replacin Windows 7 Desktop Search with The Old Search Compan
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Replacin Windows 7 Desktop Search with The Old Search Compan
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
no
by ramarc / December 15, 2009 10:13 AM PST

but the new search has all the same capabilities as the old xp style search. it presents the results differently and (of course) the interface is different.

Collapse -
Replacing Wnd's 7 Desktop Search w/ The Old Search Compani
by scanner1132 / December 15, 2009 12:36 PM PST
In reply to: no

No, the Desktop Search does not find all the associated files to the software like the Old Search Companion with the Dog did. If it does
I have not found a way to make it do it and Microsoft is no help at all.
If you know of a way that it will locate all associated files with a particular file, please respond A.S.A.P. before I install XP and remove windows 7.
Thank You. Thomas scanner1143@bellsouth.net

Collapse -
More search capabilities
by TaraS_WinTeam / December 17, 2009 8:30 AM PST
Collapse -
by scanner1132 / December 17, 2009 2:00 PM PST

Tara. I want you to know I certainly appreciate you and the others taking time out to reply with my post. You gave me exactly what I was needing to know. For the life of me I cannot understand why Microsoft wants to charge someone to give them technical support over the telephone and
then not be able to answer a customers question. I also cannot understand why Microsoft doesn't have an e-mail where you can get free technical support either. I now own 10 Microsoft Window's Computers.
6 XP Desktop's, 2 Window's 7 Desktops and 2 Window's 7 Laptop's.
You have gone beyond any help that anyone could wish for. I want to thank you and tell you that you are much appreciated, and I wish you
and your's a Very Merry Christmas, and May God Bless You!!!!

This Thread is now Threaded!!!

Thomas

Collapse -
Thank you
by TaraS_WinTeam / December 18, 2009 3:01 AM PST

Thomas thank you very much for your nice message! I am glad to know we have been helpful, we are certainly dedicated to helping resolve any issues that we can. Happy Holidays!

Collapse -
by scanner1132 / December 18, 2009 3:40 AM PST
In reply to: Thank you

Have a Blessed Merry Christmas and A Blessed New Year!!!!
Thank You For All That You Have Done!!!
Keep up the good fight!!!

Thomas

Collapse -
search companion
by crazy_driver_78 / November 17, 2011 6:23 PM PST
In reply to: no

i dont want my results presented differently. i want to search for files by file name. just like i used to. windows search makes that next to impossible now. i want my MTV... i mean search companion.

Collapse -
Re: search for files by filename
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 17, 2011 6:51 PM PST
In reply to: search companion

I'm using Ultrasearch for that. It's a free download from http://www.jam-software.com/ultrasearch/
You'll love it. It's VERY fast and it supports both wildcards and partial filenames. Highly recommended.

And occasionally I'm using the File Finder from Powerdesk http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file/fid,3491-order,1-page,1/description.html. That's free also. I'm using it from the powerdesk main screen, but it should work stand-alone also, because it's a separate exe-file (pdfind.exe), although it doesn't have a start folder filled in than.

In fact, I'm using Windows 7 for nearly 2 years now, and I never even realized there was an option to search for files by name (and more) in Explorer via the search box in the upper right corner. All I used it for was to enter google searches by accident (it's on the same place as the search box in Firefox and IE8) and being annoyed when that didn't work.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
me want search companion too
by jrpears / September 12, 2012 7:07 AM PDT

I don't care about the dog, but SC always got results, laid out to you simply and, most importantly, cleanly, files and folders, all music files, etc. Windows 7 search really sucks, even worse than XP's non-SC search. Why is that? Half the time search can't find ANYTHING!!!!!!! Wht's the secret? Or is the secret that MS tried to make it easier and failed? Give me back XP

Collapse -
Keeping the secret.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 12, 2012 9:38 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.