Phones forum

General discussion

Replacement for Tungsten E2 PDA

by underdog462002 / March 8, 2009 6:45 AM PDT

I have used several Palm PDAs through the years, upgrading to a better model each time. I presently own a Palm Tungsten E2, and like the previous one I owned, it has a proprietary rechargeable battery installed. But when the battery gives out, there is no way to retrieve information which hasn't been, or couldn't be backed up on my home computer. I know that the day of PDAs is almost finished and I'm considering replacing my current cell phone with a Blackberry. But I've gotten pretty attached to the software apps on my PDA. Is there such a phone that will support the same programs I have been using on the PDA, although in obviously "updated" versions for the cell phone? Or do I need to kiss some of my applications good-bye as I make the change to a smart phone to replace my old PDA? Any advice related to this issue would be appreciated.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Replacement for Tungsten E2 PDA
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Replacement for Tungsten E2 PDA
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
How strange.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 8, 2009 6:47 AM PDT

I can replace the battery. I also can sync my E2 with bluetooth and more.

Why would I not replace the battery or sync my info?

I hear you but I can't believe I would limit myself on both issues.
Bob

Collapse -
I'm not sure I understand.
by underdog462002 / March 8, 2009 7:00 AM PDT
In reply to: How strange.

I hot-sync my PDA to my computer to back up the data, but I don't really understand the Bluetooth thing very well. You're referring to a different operation, right? When the battery quit working on my previous model--I don't recall the exact model number, right now--I called Palm support and found out they don't offer any repair support for changing the battery. Have you changed this battery, yourself? I've never opened my PDA up, but I didn't think it was that easily replaceable. If I can do that, then of course that is what I would want to do. I am assuming it is a very special battery that has to be ordered from somewhere.

Collapse -
You got it right on all points.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 8, 2009 7:09 AM PDT

For example, GM doesn't support you changing the rear axle but it can be done. Why would we ever limit ourselves in the PDA battery as well?

Is your question about what's next?

Or is it to discuss how to get more years from a PDA?
Bob

PS. You can google/search about changing the PDA under your own power. No need for me to duplicate such a thing.

Collapse -
Thank you.
by underdog462002 / March 8, 2009 7:42 AM PDT

Well, as long as I can change the battery myself, I don't feel a need to replace the PDA quite so soon. Getting longer life from the PDA would be my first choice. So I should just enter something like "battery" "Tungsten E2" "replace" into the Google search engine? I'll have to try that out. If I don't have that right, or there's a better way to search for that solution, let me know. Otherwise, thank you very much.

Collapse -
pdaparts . com
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 8, 2009 9:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Thank you.

That at google finds a company that's been at this a long time. You might find these at Amazon too.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.