PC Applications

General discussion

Replacement for nero?

by mementh / October 6, 2007 1:49 PM PDT

Nero Burning ROM 8 is 99 bucks.. thats not the problem.. iuts the BLOAT..

I Just need a DVD/CD burning program... does ANYONE know of a DVD/CD burning program that is as easy as nero is that will work on Windows XP?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Replacement for nero?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Replacement for nero?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Which OS?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / October 6, 2007 8:20 PM PDT
In reply to: Replacement for nero?
Collapse -
works good
by mementh / October 8, 2007 5:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Which OS?

Looks like a decent replacement though i did get a coaster the first time and the second it did not auto eject.. (had to reboot)

Collapse -
works good
by mementh / October 9, 2007 4:02 PM PDT
In reply to: Which OS?

Looks like a decent replacement though i did get a coaster the first time and the second it did not auto eject.. (had to reboot)

Collapse -
Replacement for Nero
by tritonjr / October 12, 2007 10:43 AM PDT
In reply to: works good

Ashampoo's Burning Studio 6 is what I replaced Nero with tho a version 7 is out and an 8 is in the future. Light, fast and simple.

Collapse -
Have you heard about Ashampoo Burning Studio?
by JemGirl / October 12, 2007 12:55 PM PDT

The current verson for this software is 7, and the price tag is very nice at $40.

http://www2.ashampoo.com/webcache/html/1/product_2_1110__.htm

Now I haven't tried out the new one, but past versons of this software I have used and liked alot. 7 is really new so I haven't had time to try it out yet. But the past versons were far less bloated then Nero is. The full one anyway.

The 7th verson has some very nice new features that remind me of the imovie software that mac has had for years.

Oh, the trial is a month long so you can test the heck out of it.

Collapse -
replacement for nero
by knight2448 / October 12, 2007 1:17 PM PDT

My suggestion would be to use roxio media creator 10. It is a little pricey, but you get a lot of features for the money and it is well worth it. I am currently using roxio media creator 9, it works great. Like I said the price is a bit high, the new version is version 10, it is an easy download from Roxio.com and the price is 99.00 save the files first and then you can burn the program to a cd/dvd. That is what I did with media creator 9. It is better then paying almost $20.00 for a backup disc which is what roxio charges for it.

Collapse -
nah..
by mementh / October 12, 2007 3:15 PM PDT
In reply to: replacement for nero

nah.. all i wanted was to burn to a DVD/CD.. i have programs to rip and work with video and audio... Happy

Collapse -
Replacement for Nero
by ALBERTO R. GANYTUANGCO / October 12, 2007 2:18 PM PDT

Your guestion is good especially that we had plenty of software makers claiming that their software is good and much better. Of course they are making money but don't be misleaded. If you are trying to burn both CD and DVD format, the best software are ROXIO and Cyberlink. If you are burning only DVD, aside from the two I mentioned, I recommend One-Click DVD of LG Solutions. Happy Burning

Collapse -
Replacement for nero?
by HJBartz / October 12, 2007 3:02 PM PDT

What bloat? What program these days is not full of bloat yet we still use them without complaining. Maybe its the new GUI thats upsetting you (i dont like it either). If you want the best job done you've got to use the best program for the job - at the moment Nero is the best so stay with it.

cheers

Collapse -
not the gui
by mementh / October 12, 2007 3:16 PM PDT

Its not the GUI that upsets me.. its the bloat.. all i wanted was a basic slim DVD/CD burning program..

I mainly burn to archive the stuff i get or to copy a DVD.. so i don't need fancy stuff..
Happy

Collapse -
Dumb Question...
by JemGirl / October 12, 2007 3:59 PM PDT
In reply to: not the gui

If you have XP, can't you just drag and drop your files to the burner and just burn them to the DVD disk?

I've never had XP wihout burning software, and most it has been Ashampoo, and I just dragged and dropped my files in there and burned it.

If XP doesn't see that it's a blank dvd in your drive and just let you drag and drop, then this looks like the next best thing that I know about.

This is not Burning Studio. This is called BurnYa! DataDisc 2.
http://www.ashampoo.com/frontend/products/php/product.php?session_langid=2&idstring=0228

This one sounds like it was made for you. I never had much use for it, but it sounds like it's what you are looking for.

BTW, I don't work for Ashampoo, I just like most of their software.

Collapse -
not the gui
by HJBartz / October 12, 2007 4:03 PM PDT

Ok point taken.

Then can I suggest that you avail yourself of the downloads page here at CNet (tab above on this page) and have a look at the free offerings that are available there. Or try 100-downloads.com you (freeware site) might find what your looking for there.

Collapse -
cdburner xp
by mementh / October 13, 2007 9:32 AM PDT

found that cd burner xp seems to have solved my "only burner needs" Happy

Collapse -
Replacement for Nero burning
by eduardomchl / October 13, 2007 10:24 PM PDT

Slysoft Any DVD is excellent also another exceptional one is 1 Click Copy DVD Pro. I use it all the time, I also have Nero but is nowhere as good as the ones just mentioned.

Collapse -
(NT) Locking. mementh has found their answer.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 14, 2007 12:39 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.