Desktops forum

General discussion

Replace MSI pro-e, with the MSI big bang x power mobo

by nofret / August 11, 2010 11:59 AM PDT

I just got a new pc. However; the pro-e doe not have enough pci lanes. I have dual gtx 470s with the Gulftown 980x. cpu. I have the top fatality x-fi champion series but I have no room for it. also; I would like tv tuner card. Anyone have any experience with this setup? Thanks in advance. Nofret

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Replace MSI pro-e, with the MSI big bang x power mobo
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Replace MSI pro-e, with the MSI big bang x power mobo
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
the motherboard in question
by Brechan / August 19, 2010 7:41 AM PDT

Is this the motherboard in question http://www.newegg.com/Product/ImageGallery.aspx?CurImage=13-130-226-S03&ISList=13-130-226-S01,13-130-226-S02,13-130-226-S03,13-130-226-S04,13-130-226-S05&S7ImageFlag=1&Item=N82E16813130226&Depa=0&WaterMark=1&Description=MSI%20X58%20Pro-E%20LGA%201366%20Intel%20X58%20ATX%20Intel%20Motherboard ; if so, I don't see the concern over not having enough PCI-E lanes for your current setup (dual gtx 470s, fatality x-fi champion).

You should still have no problem installing a TV tuner in the last PCI slot (far right side)

Collapse -
MSI x58 Pro-e upgrade to big bang x-power
by nofret / August 19, 2010 10:15 AM PDT
Collapse -
As previously stated
by Brechan / August 24, 2010 6:22 AM PDT

I can't see why you shouldn't be able to install all the components wanted for this setup.
You have not stated if this is a "home-build" or an " off-the shelf " computer; If you built this yourself, then you probably should have gone with the other choice for motherboards (you might be able to return this motherboard to the retailer for the other motherboard listed).

However; if this is a computer that was purchased " off-the shelf ", then you are kind of stuck with it, as you'll have to install all necessary software for the new board...thus voiding any warranty for such computer.

Collapse -
One side note
by Brechan / August 24, 2010 6:40 AM PDT
In reply to: As previously stated
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.