Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

Rename files from database

by yaakovraskin / June 12, 2013 10:51 PM PDT

Hi
I have an HD full of files, from a (now obselete and not functional) reference program.
It contains thousands of books, all in PDF.
The program had the filenames as numbers, instead of book titles, making it easy for the program to use, but impossible for humans.
I have a database (HTML and CSV) of all the books, and the correspondiong numbers. Is there an automatic way of renaming files from the database? Similar to how MediaMonkey sorts music from their matedata, but this is with PDF on a separate database?
Also, any way to search the text of multiple PDFs quickly, particularly in other languages (hebrew)?

Thanks for your help

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Rename files from database
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Rename files from database
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
No.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 13, 2013 3:16 AM PDT

But if you did write an app that took your HTML or CSV as input then it could be done. All the file renamers I know of won't use your current HTML or CSV so the answer is no. But you have the basic info, now you need an app. If you can't find an app, you write one.
Bob

Collapse -
Coding
by yaakovraskin / June 13, 2013 9:11 PM PDT
In reply to: No.

I was asking if anyone knows of such an app. I've never done coding, and I'm not in a big rush to start.

Collapse -
No need to code.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / June 13, 2013 9:44 PM PDT
In reply to: Coding

Just use MS Excel to generate from the csv file a colomn contain the command prompt rename commands. That are just formulas, no VBA code.
Then copy/paste that column to Notepad, save it as a batch file and execute that.

Couldn't be simpler.

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.