Computer Help forum

General discussion

Removing write protection from USB flash drive

by SIMEONGENEROSO / July 7, 2010 7:04 PM PDT

All of sudden my USB is write protected. I can retrieve files from it but cannot save files to it. How do I remove the write protection?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Removing write protection from USB flash drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Removing write protection from USB flash drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Removing write protection....with the given info, ...
by Papa Echo / July 7, 2010 10:25 PM PDT

...if you can retrieve files from it, do so, and save them to a new drive. The flash drive in question is broken.... but tell more if you are not satisfied with the answer.

Collapse -
Flash drives wear out
by Jimmy Greystone / July 7, 2010 11:00 PM PDT

Flash drives wear out on account of there's only X number of times you can write to a given flash memory cell. Sounds like you've reached that limit and will need to get a new flash drive.

Collapse -
Can't write to hard disk
by champmanfan67 / July 9, 2010 11:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Flash drives wear out

My question is in relation to this. Does this apply to external hard drives which temporally can't write to them? I obviously don't want to lose any data and found if I unplugged the external hard drive's power and USB connections and reconnected after a couple of minutes - it started writing again. This has can happen 4 times a month.

I've no idea if this an early sign of it failing or just a connection issue. Is there anyway to find out for sure?

Collapse -
Some USB drived have ...
by Edward ODaniel / July 8, 2010 2:57 AM PDT

either a small write protect switch in them or they can be write protected bu software and that will normally show up by right clicking the drive in either windows Explorer or My Computer.

We could tell you more but you have not given us any real info to work with such as the brand and model of the drive such as Kingston 128 GB DataTraveler 200

Alternatively you might want to read through this link which offers a couple of solutions --

Collapse -
Which brand do you use?
by net804 / July 16, 2010 9:19 PM PDT

If it is Transcend ('Jetflash' or any, ...) pen drive, use the tool named 'online repair tool' which can be downloaded from the official website of Transcend. and then follow the instructions.
Same thing happened to me and I have recovered my drive back to write. The write protection was removed.
Be sure to backup the files on it before proceeding...

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.