Storage

General discussion

Removing write protection

by JSBAPinoy89 / July 26, 2006 10:11 AM PDT

ive read a whole mess of write protection on this forum and how to take it off. ive tried everything. my card is a Sandisk SD 1 gig card. Im trying to use it to transfer songs from my computer to another computer in the house. I've tried going to the properties of the memory card because one of the discussions said to unclick the read only, but everytime i do that it always comes back and something pops up when i try to put the music in the folder that says "Remove the write-protection or use another disk". there is no problem with me deleting and putting music on it on tha other computer. its just this one. i've also tried unlocking the sandisk and nothing still works. can anybody please help wit this?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Removing write protection
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Removing write protection
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by tyoung33 / July 28, 2006 5:22 PM PDT

hey mate its i bit stupid what they do but all you have to do is look at the card (physically) there is a little switch on the side switch it off lock and then put it back in and you should be able to access and change the files on the card.
from josh

Collapse -
no even that switch doesnt work.
by HUMALTAF / October 28, 2006 4:36 AM PDT

i have tried even putting a tape on it to help it stay in place but infact thats not the culprit. i am still trying all physical and other means lets see what i comeup with. i will post a method as soon as i succeed to rack it.

Collapse -
A simple solution
by kek123 / July 23, 2007 6:18 AM PDT

I also had this problem with my SanDisk 1GB disk. I could take pictures but not take them off the disk onto my computer. After trying many different things (flipping the switch, flipping it part way, putting tape over the switch, using a different card reader and/or computer) I finally found a solution to my problem....I formated the disk in my camera, and problem solved.

Collapse -
Thank you!
by *lois* / July 11, 2008 12:29 AM PDT
In reply to: A simple solution

Thanks so much. I have tried everything on multiple disks. I used to be able to "delete all" on my old camera but don't have that option on my new one. However, I CAN format the disk on my new camera and it took a split second... My computer would not allow me to format the disk because it was write protected. Thanks again. I never would have thought to format it on the camera itself ; )

Collapse -
camera problems
by linzmeier / July 16, 2010 1:07 AM PDT
In reply to: A simple solution

I checked my sd card and i know it is not on write protection. I also tried my sd card in my sisters camera and it isnt write protected. But everytime i put a card in my camera that isnt write protected, it says the card is locked. So how do i fix write protected cameras?

Collapse -
Write protected
by bluedogsu / March 1, 2009 11:54 AM PST

Thank you sooooooooo freakin much!!!

Collapse -
I KEEP GETTING THE MESSAGE ABOUT WRITE PROTECTION I NEED TO
by reddready / August 27, 2009 4:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Write protected

WHAT DID YOU DO BECAUSE I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM?

Collapse -
It worked!
by donina / May 28, 2009 9:35 PM PDT

I removed the device from the computer's USB, moved the little switch on the side of the device that says HOLD to the other side, inserted the device back in the USB, deleted the files and moved the new files from the hard disk to the device, then got out. Simple, when you know what to do... Thanks!

Collapse -
THANK YOU!!
by dmcc618 / July 6, 2009 10:07 AM PDT

After endless searching for a solution to this problem - FINALLY - somone gives a simple, straight forward solution. No taping, no pin bending, etc.........the switch was there, I moved it and it worked. Thanks so much! Happy

Collapse -
removing right protection
by irishred62 / November 14, 2009 5:25 AM PST

thank you so much i cant believe how stupid that was you were right
i thought it was becaus i formated my card boy do i really feel stupid
LOL thanks again

Collapse -
remove write protection
by mittal_abhi / September 22, 2010 3:58 PM PDT

hi!!!!! i 2 hd da same prob i just formatted my sandisk 2gb card in my phone and it worked.........

Collapse -
Removing write
by yaunie / May 16, 2011 2:07 PM PDT

Thank you some much u truley helped me with this ty

Collapse -
Thanks
by dturner60 / July 13, 2011 2:33 AM PDT

Hey, thanks for this infomation I was very confuse on how to remove the write protection, I had use it in the pass and didn't have any problems with it. Your information saved my day!

Collapse -
re: removing write-protection on memory card
by jimcook777 / February 8, 2008 4:19 PM PST

I was having similar problems with Kingston and Transcend memory cards used on a Nikkon Coolpix. These cards have switches, but read as write-protected no matter where the switch was placed. Then I noticed that there was a notch on the side of each card opposite the switch.I put some tape over that notch, and now both cards work fine. You can still make them read-only by flipping the switch down, but now you can also remove the write-protection by flipping it up again.

Collapse -
re: removing write-protection on memory card
by nikky_01_27 / July 20, 2008 11:46 PM PDT

Funnily that works for me as well.

Collapse -
write protection for scandisk adapters adn cards
by jabala3p / June 12, 2008 11:57 PM PDT

I know you will not belive this. Just put a pice of tape on the openingins of the adapter ont the sides, be carefull not to cover the contacts and you're problem is solved. lo tech to hi tech

Collapse -
Camera card 'write protection'
by sarlindra / August 23, 2008 8:29 PM PDT

Thank you so much. I was having so much trouble trying to work out how to get the write protection off my camera card and the tape solved it!

Collapse -
by BearTex / July 21, 2009 2:50 AM PDT

Don't ask why THIS worked. I tried taping the notch and removing Read-Only protection under properties as described. Neither worked. I was copying and pasting music to the Micro SD for my Samsung SGH-A867 Eternity. I got the write protection error messages repeatedly until I tried changing the Micro SD CE Adapter for the USB MultiCard Reader/Writer. The Polaroid adapter did not work but Kingston one did. Go FIGURE!!

Collapse -
by nshock58 / February 16, 2011 5:30 AM PST

I had a similiar problem when I converted some files to mp3 and stored them on my SD using a computer where I did not have admin priveliges. I took several SD cards to the Geek Squad and they were able to remove the files for me. They said I would probably have been able to delete them if I had loaded the SD card in a computer where was the administrator. I'm having the same trouble with another SD card I have used in my Cannon camera. I will try again to delete these on my home computer tonight and let you know if that solves my problem. Hope you have luck trying this too.

Collapse -
ok i've got a challange for you!
by sierrar_1212 / April 30, 2011 4:44 AM PDT

the switch on my lexar 128MB card is broken off! Now what!!!!

Collapse -
(NT) Buy another one and copy your files.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / April 30, 2011 4:49 AM PDT
Collapse -
oh well, thanks!
by sierrar_1212 / April 30, 2011 4:55 AM PDT

well luckily there isn"t anything on it...and this is probably why it's been sitting around the house for years!

Collapse -
by KRauf2008 / June 3, 2011 3:14 AM PDT

OK, you try this way..

Collapse -
Going crazy
by fk3 / March 19, 2012 2:36 PM PDT

I've tried following this advice from another forum which also gave a bat file to install the 'Storage Device Policies' whjich isn't listed but the command box just pops up saying access is denied and won't instal it I have had all usb devices tell me they are write protected suddenly and desparately went and purchased a brand new one today only to get same message!!! Any advice greatly appreciated

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.