PC Applications forum

General discussion

Removing traces of uninstalled software

by vikrant1982 / February 14, 2011 8:33 PM PST

I was looking for a software to remove a fresh download toolbar in IE 8 on my system running on windows xp. I happened to come across a software called final uninstaller. Although i have got the toolbar removed, there is one more thing that this software has reported. It showed that i have remnants(files & reg keys) of uninstalled software on my machine. I could recall the names of some of those softwares as reported by final uninstaller. However, i didn't want to use final uninstaller to remove these as this software doesn't have a very good reputation.

I have tried glary utilities and auslogics registry cleaner to clean up my pc but still final uninstaller shows that the files are there.

I don't want to keep a number of registry cleaners and junk file tools on my pc so please suggest a software that can achive the following: -

1. Fix and defrag registry
2. Remove remnants of uninstalled software
3. Selective deletion of system restore points
4. Remove toolbars

Also, please note that i haven't used Revo uninstaller just because i don't really understand all the options in it and what they can achive.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Removing traces of uninstalled software
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Removing traces of uninstalled software
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
i can whole heartedly recommend RegScrubXP
by jonah jones / February 14, 2011 8:44 PM PST
Collapse -
Regarding RegScrubXP........
by vikrant1982 / February 15, 2011 1:28 PM PST

Hi Jonah, thanks for the advice but i don't see positive user reviews for RegScrubXP version 5.1 on CNET. Should i try this?

Collapse -
when in doubt
by jonah jones / February 16, 2011 11:32 AM PST

go with the majority

Collapse -
Please be careful
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 14, 2011 8:50 PM PST

I see you have already used Glary's Utilities and Auslogics, neither of which we ever recommend for registry cleaning.

In fact, we do recommend not touching the registry. It does not need defragging, and if your system is working fine it does not need fixing. If you look around in these forms you will see numerous, (far too numerous), posts with cries for help after some registry cleaner or other has trashed a system. Such damage is often terminal and a compete reinstall is all too often the only solution.

The registry does not need fixing. It is a database only and any orphan entries are simply ignored by the OS. Similarly it does not need defragging. Unused entries are ignored and they do not take up any space. The registry file itself is very small in size and is only accessed when needed.

About your other points;

2] Remove remnants of uninstalled software. Once the software is properly uninstalled, then you can go searching the hard drive using Windows Explorer for remnants of folders and files, usually in the Program files folder. Deleting those are fine, but I would always reboot a system after an uninstall anyway as that very action can often 'clean up' remnants.

3] Selective deletion of System Restore points. No such thing I am afraid. You can delete all restore points, or delete all but the latest restore points, but deleting selective restore point backup files is full of difficulty and danger.

4] Remove toolbars. In browsers I either remove or disable the add-on, or right click the toolbar and remove it that way if there is that option. Another way, goto View > Toolbars and remove it from there.

Again, I recommend users stay away from the registry.

Collapse -
I take your advice......
by vikrant1982 / February 15, 2011 1:31 PM PST
In reply to: Please be careful

I take your advice but still, to be on the safer side i would atleast ask for a software which would look for remnants(reg keys and files in application data folder etc.) of programs uninstalled long time ago and would help me remove them. Please help.....

Collapse -
Try CCleaner...
by John.Wilkinson / February 16, 2011 11:20 AM PST
CCleaner is freeware that cleans up temporary and 'remnant' files, and also has a 'light' registry cleaner built in if you find it necessary to run such. I would not go beyond that, regarding the registry, unless you want to risk damaging Windows and/or installed software.

Collapse -
by vikrant1982 / February 22, 2011 11:43 PM PST
In reply to: Try CCleaner...

thanks a lot for all the replies guys. For now i'll stick to CCleaner

Collapse -
Revo shouldn't be dismissed.
by Former Big Iron Guy / February 26, 2011 11:00 AM PST

Revo is the stock uninstaller I use. If you use the default settings, it will run the native unistallers and do a decent job of registry and file purges. IMHO, most people don't need to use the extreme settings.

Collapse -
revo uninstaller
by jpn5imp1 / March 4, 2011 12:43 PM PST

I have used Revo Uninstaller for about 2 years and have not had one bit of trouble ,if i am not sure what to delete i open all of the plus signs an go to the last area where it gives you the names of your uninstall. But i don't think they make one where it gets it all ,i can go in the registry and still find 1 or 2 things left over. Since i am not afraid to use the registry i delete that partcilar part that i am uninstalling ,but do not reccommend it if not sure what you are doing.

Collapse -
same here
by cfs8642 / March 4, 2011 5:35 PM PST
In reply to: revo uninstaller

Really hard to beat Revo

Collapse -
unistaller options
by kbennett65 / March 5, 2011 3:29 PM PST

Don't be afraid to try Revo. I have been using it for a few years with no problems. It can be used in an "expert" mode if you would like, but the basic mode does the job just fine. Plus the price is right [free]! If you are looking for more of a system utility suite to perform multiple tasks, I like system mechanic; it has an easy to use interface and performs several tasks either automatically or manually depending on your settings and always does a restore point prior to any changes in case something doesn't go right. I would imagine all the system utility suites probably do the same, so do some research and decide which one ,if any, suit your needs. The one thing on your list that I don't think any software can do is selectively remove system restore points. If you find one that claims to do so I would be very suspect of its' safety.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.