Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

removing programs that automatically run when you boot up

by kinseeker / May 26, 2007 4:51 AM PDT

I have an XP Pro and I know there is some place I can go to remove all of the darn icons in the lower right hand corner. All I need there is my fire wall and my antivirus. It takes so darn long for the computer to boot and wondering if this is part of the problem. If I just delete them are they still running in the background some where? Thanks.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: removing programs that automatically run when you boot up
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: removing programs that automatically run when you boot up
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You gave your own best answers!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 26, 2007 4:54 AM PDT
Collapse -
startup programs
by biggeo65 / May 26, 2007 11:01 AM PDT

You have many ways to remove a program from start when windows start.

1)the most safe and easy: use startupmechanic, FREE, NO ADAWARE, you can get it from here: http://www.startupmechanic.com/

2)go to start/run and when box open, type in there MSCONFIG, and click OK. A new window will open, from there you can manage start up items.

Also before you disable anything be sure that you really want to do this.
And as Proffitt wrote, make a Google search you can find an instant answer.

George

Collapse -
by kinseeker / May 26, 2007 11:42 AM PDT
In reply to: startup programs

I would have never thought to use google for this purpose. I seem to only use it when I'm searching for a product or ?

Thanks to all who have gotten back to me on this issue. I will make sure this is what I really want to do.

Collapse -
This List of Start-Up Items May Help Also (Link)....
by tobeach / May 26, 2007 3:08 PM PDT
Collapse -
Startup Mechanic - Adware?
by llewyn / June 1, 2007 11:48 PM PDT
In reply to: startup programs

One of the user reviews states that Startup Mechanic contains adware that infects your computer. I presume Cnet staff reads these posts and wonder why they have not confirmed this? I also wonder why this program would be free if it does not have something like an adware virus hidden in it's depths? This is obviously a professionally written program, not a home project like many of these types of programs. I would like Cnet to confirm whether this program is adware free or not!

Collapse -
Your Almost There
by ronreina / June 1, 2007 3:22 PM PDT

Yes, you can do ms config. But there are many programs that will go
right back to your start up without your knowledge. Next thing you know, your pc is taking forever to boot. For a while I was getting a hand on this by checking my start ups. But you're very likely seeing
files with names, that are foriegn to you at best! So, you copy &
paste it into Google to see what the file really is. You will quickly run into sites calling everything adware, malware. etc.. I have been
using a program called WinPatrol.It's a watchdog, literally! There's a free version and paid version(I liked it well enough to pay) The reason I stay with it is because it has saved me more time than I can say. Bottom Line is you can keep looking into reappearing files on Google, or have a watch dog,that uses Google and proceed with confidence.

Collapse -
winpatrol ........ free utility
by mark04276 / May 26, 2007 7:10 PM PDT

does that and alot more

Collapse -
by kinseeker / May 27, 2007 2:36 AM PDT

Thanks to all of you how came to my rescue. I will check out the webpages that have been suggested and pick the one that I think will be the easist for me to use. Lorelee

Collapse -
Give this a shot....
by kiplinght / June 3, 2007 10:06 AM PDT

It's called StartupCPL (which stands for control panel). When you install it, it puts a thing in the control panel.

From there you can just un-tick things that you don't want to open. If you decide you want them again, just tick them and they will run again on startup. http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

This is the easiest.

Another program you can install is called Startup Delayer, what it does it makes your computer wait before it runs the programs so that your computer doesn't run like a snail when you turn it on.

http://www.r2.com.au/software.php?page=2&show=startdelay

Good luck!

Collapse -
kinseeker
by tomron / May 27, 2007 12:25 PM PDT

icons in the lower right hand corner in the taskbar can be hidden.

Right click start button>properties>taskbar tab>customize>current items>under behavior use drop down menue to select always hide.

I don't think this option will increase speed.

Tom

Collapse -
by kinseeker / May 27, 2007 1:32 PM PDT
In reply to: kinseeker

Hi Tom, I knew how to hide all of the icons but just because they are hidden did not mean they weren't running in the background on start up. I was able to get rid of a lot of programs that were running during start up that were not on the task bar. Thanks for your interest in helping me. Lorelee

Collapse -
Unnecessary at startup
by tallin / May 27, 2007 2:19 PM PDT
Collapse -
removeing startups
by rsternb / June 1, 2007 5:48 PM PDT

I use CCleaner. one of its funtions lists all the pgms that run
at start up.
most are recognizeable. video cards etc. HP puts a bunch in ther
that i always get rid of. I dont need that 'instant' start when
I can click on the desktop shortcut and it starts just as fast.
the wierd named ones - be careful there - like others above - check
them out
I keep a tight ship and dont like things runing in the background
that I am not useing at that time.
ted
Happy

Collapse -
Removing startups.
by oldator1940 / June 1, 2007 11:00 PM PDT
In reply to: removeing startups

Go to start- run-type "services.msc" minus the quotes. You can disable
some of them, or change them to manual, or automatic. I would do a search to find out which ones you really need. Be very careful which ones you disable, others may depend on them.

Collapse -
Removing Startups
by mchmj1 / June 5, 2007 1:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Removing startups.

Tried the Start button and then typed services.msc and it list everything except the flashing icon that takes me to spylocked.com. It's not in the list and I can't get rid of it. Can anyone help me out with this one?

Clarence

Collapse -
Clarence
by tomron / June 5, 2007 3:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Removing Startups
Collapse -
Spy Doctor Dilemma
by mchmj1 / June 5, 2007 3:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Removing startups.

I just read on C-Net not to download anything free from anyone but C-Net and downloaded Spy Doctor there only to find out it is a rogue product. Is there any trusted site we can count on. I have to get the Spylocked problem off my PC. Everything I found so far says Free, but after the scan they want you to buy the full version to delete the spyware. I don't want to buy something that is going to clash with Symantec.

Clarence

Collapse -
Clarence, Follow Tomron's Link for Rogue Remover &
by tobeach / June 6, 2007 6:44 PM PDT
In reply to: Spy Doctor Dilemma

choose to download the "regular" Rogue Remover on the left side. This should not ask for you to buy to remove! The Remover Pro on right side is a "trial" version which towards end of trial period may ask you to buy but even that should remove without purchasing during trial period.
I suggest regular as it's free and less complicated to use than the pro version(which has more user choice options).

NEVER buy a product that says "found XYZ please purchase license to remove". This is (IMHO) a hallmark of bad business & likely a scam.

Please note, once installed, Rogue Remover will need to update its definitions before doing first scan. After update probably best you physically remove cable connection to modem to be sure you are off the internet before attempting removal. You may also need to empty system restore files if scan indicates a copy is in them. Removal may require you re-scan & run removal in Safe Mode to stop Spylocked from running (being in use) during removal process.

Norton should not give you a problem installing RR if you download, save and open locally. If it does, perhaps you can disable Norton/Symantec "auto-protect"(?) background guard during install & update & scan/remove. If you also have their firewall, you may need to tell Norton to allow RR access to internet.RR WILL remove Spylocked!

I'm a little surprised Norton allowed this Potentially Unwanted Program (PUP)to land in first place!! Remember to re-enable Norton after removal and to turn back on System Restore & create new point once clean.
Good Luck! Grin

Collapse -
Another program to use.
by Gypsy848 / June 2, 2007 5:38 AM PDT

I use the Spybot - Search and Destroy free program to watch my computer. In the "Tools" section is a "Start Up" button. The "Start Up" section allows you to deselect individual programs to start when you turn on your computer. Spybot has information on some of the programs so you can make more informed decisions. After you have changed the settings in the "Start Up" menu and decide you like your decisions you can check the "Add / Remove Programs" in the "Control Panel" to remove progams listed there. For programs not listed there you need to check/search your directory listing and delete the folders. Good luck and Happy hunting.

Collapse -
by kinseeker / June 2, 2007 1:24 PM PDT

Wow, I didn't know my one little question would get such a dialoge going. It's nice to know there are so many options and just pick the one that suits your needs at the time. One other thing, I also have heard that Norton AntiVirus also can slow down the computer. I am paid up until Feb but may try one of the free ones like AVG

Because of all of your replies I have gotten rid a lot of programs like H P that would run during start up. With what I have done it is booting up faster and also the computer is running faster too. Thanks. Lorelee

Collapse -
Lorelee
by tomron / June 2, 2007 1:33 PM PDT

"I also have heard that Norton AntiVirus also can slow down the computer"

I had norton and my computer was much slower,in fact I've read many complaints regarding this.

====================

"I am paid up until Feb but may try one of the free ones like AVG"

Yes,just don't have both anti virus programs enabled simultaneously which could cause a conflict,the same for firewalls.

Tom

Collapse -
We're Pleased to Have Been of Help!!! If You....
by tobeach / June 9, 2007 3:36 PM PDT

have further problems, don't hesitate to post back. There really is a tremendous amount of knowledge available here. Grin

Collapse -
responding to programs automatically running
by Lateeda / June 6, 2007 9:42 AM PDT

Go to run, type in msconfig and system config utility will pop up, go to start up, uncheck any you don't want to run, hit apply and a screen will pop up and ask you to restart. When your computer reboots it should be only the ones you want running and naturally what ever you are using will come up, when in use.

Collapse -
Norton
by nwviking / June 7, 2007 5:07 AM PDT

How do I get the norton program totally off of my laptop?

Collapse -
Download and run the Norton Removal tool, link only
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / June 7, 2007 5:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Norton
Collapse -
Try this one!
by adonp / June 7, 2007 6:18 AM PDT

I find the best site to use is (and always has been) Pacs Portal

http://www.pacs-portal.co.uk

Download the Start_ups.exe - self-executable file with in-built browser and search capabilities

THen run msconfig and search the database for each application to check out what it is if its needed!!

Collapse -
You don't need a special add-on program. You already...
by Jack Ammann / June 17, 2007 7:10 PM PDT

...have one onboard. Try this:

Go to <Start>...<Run>...type in <msconfig>...click <OK>...go to the <startup> tab...put check marks on programs you want to start-up and not those you do not want to start. Click <apply> and <OK>. On the next screen, reboot the computer.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.