Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Removing program name from Add or Remove Programs

by namgoh5 / January 30, 2004 6:23 AM PST

I removed (uninstalled) some iPod programs recently, but the program names continue to appear in the "Add or Remove Programs" window. When I click on them, it doesn't have a remove button, it just shows when it was last used. Is there any way to get rid of these entries? I'm using Windows XP Pro.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Removing program name from Add or Remove Programs
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Removing program name from Add or Remove Programs
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Removing program name from Add or Remove Programs
by Cursorcowboy / January 30, 2004 7:11 AM PST
Collapse -
Re:Re:Removing program name from Add or Remove Programs
by namgoh5 / January 30, 2004 11:59 PM PST

Thanks, I did everythnig I was told to do, but didn't find the display names of the programs. They didn't appear to be in the regestry, but they're still in Add or Remove Programs.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Removing program name from Add or Remove Programs
by Tufenuf / January 31, 2004 12:50 AM PST

namgoh5, Try Start/Programs and see if they're listed there. Also see if there is a disabled programs folder in the Start/Programs menu. If you find them in either place just right click them and choose delete.

Larry

Collapse -
by fjb / January 31, 2004 2:30 AM PST
Collapse -
by namgoh5 / February 2, 2004 6:13 AM PST

Thanks, unfortunately, it doesn't see the names to remove them.

Collapse -
by Papa Echo / February 2, 2004 7:33 AM PST

Use the classic solution: Reinstall and then remove-use the uninstaller which came with the program, if there is one, otherwise uinistall via Add/Remove.

Collapse -
by namgoh5 / February 2, 2004 9:08 AM PST

I tried that, and it seemed to work. Two of the three invalid iPod entries dissapeared. Then I rebooted, and they were back. It really doesn't seem to be effecting the operation of anything, not being able to get rid of them. It just bugs me that I can't, and they don't show up anywhere, except in the Add or Remove window.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Removing program name from Add or Remove Programs
by Papa Echo / February 2, 2004 11:13 PM PST

Are you using a PC or a MAC ? Seems you are referring to a PC. What iPod Programs ? Are those programs supported by Win XP ? Maybe them Apple programs are buggy ? Are you free of parasites ? How did you "remove/uninstall" the programs ?

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Re:Removing program name from Add or Remove Programs
by namgoh5 / February 3, 2004 12:44 AM PST

I'm using a parasite free PC. The program names are: iPod for Windows, iPod for Windows user guide, & iPod System Software Updater 2.0.1. The instructions I had when I first had to rid myself of the programs, was to drag files, not folders, to recycle, and delete. Then I had to reinstall MusicMatch with it's iPod plug-ins. The Apple programs are gone, just the names remain. They don't seem to be causing problems, other than the fact I can't get rid of them, or find them anywhere on my computer, except my Add/Remove window. I even loaded another uninstall utility to try, but they don't even show up in it. It's just wierd.

Collapse -
by couze / February 3, 2004 12:26 AM PST

go in the registry

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ Software\ Microsoft\ Windows\ CurrentVersion\ Uninstall

and delete the key that match the software you want to remove

Collapse -
by namgoh5 / February 3, 2004 12:45 AM PST

I tried that--they aren't there.

Collapse -
by nasirmalik / February 14, 2004 12:28 AM PST

When a program does not show the uninstall portion.
It means that the program was not installed properly,hence the uninstall part is missing.
Please worry not, reinstall that program and then use uninstall button.
Nasirmalik

Collapse -
by redd / February 14, 2004 7:15 AM PST

Sadly I'm not in front of my XP machine, but I do have XP Power Toys on it (TweakUI) for XP. There is a option in Win98se TweakUI to do this. I check mine later to see if this can be done.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.