PC Applications forum

General discussion

Removing old trial programs

by roc045 / May 18, 2004 3:36 AM PDT

Does anyone know what is the best software (preferably freeware) out there, to completly remove old programs. I have noticed at times when uninstalling trial and regular programs they are not completly removed.

Thanks for your help

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Removing old trial programs
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Removing old trial programs
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Removing old trial programs
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 18, 2004 4:39 AM PDT
Collapse -
Re:Re:Removing old trial programs
by roc045 / May 19, 2004 4:11 AM PDT

Hi Bob,

Thanks for your help, when using the jv16 tools I was able to remove programs but sometimes there are still remaining parts left, when doing file search they show files and folders of programs I have removed. For example C:\Windows\All Users\Documents\Softwrap there is a folder that should have been removed. Can I just delete these folders and files that show up in the search. or is there some type of software out that would completly remove them even safely even if its not freeware

Collapse -
Removing the users files is not a good idea.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 20, 2004 11:37 PM PDT

Let's propose that an application cleaner should remove the users files created with the app?

Not a good idea and why no tool I've seen does such.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Removing the users files is not a good idea.
by toddvan / May 21, 2004 1:06 AM PDT

How about installing a FREE application call InstallWatch Pro that monitors all changes to files, registry, etc. for each software installation. Therefore, you can easily look to see what files/keys have been added, changed, removed.

http://www.epsilonsquared.com/

toddvan

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Removing old trial programs
by Keith_C_A / May 21, 2004 2:07 PM PDT

When ever you install any program it inserts files into the system registry, sure you can delete programs by using their uninstall file or by going to add/remove programs. But this will not get rid of those sys reg files. you need a program like Registry Mechanic or RegSupreme to delete these files. Then you will have rmoved ALL or the traces of the program.

Collapse -
removing old programmes
by anybod1 / September 18, 2008 7:14 PM PDT

lol....easy as that people....

Collapse -
by Dick Humfrey / May 18, 2004 11:39 AM PDT
Collapse -
by Carita / May 20, 2004 5:56 PM PDT
Collapse -
by fac / May 20, 2004 11:25 PM PDT

HI, I've used a number of free uninstallers and the best one to date is Easy Uninstaller. Here is the URL

http://www.deepeshagarwal.tk/

The good thing about it is you don't have to take snapshots before and after you install software (a real pain and not very practical if you test alot of software like I do). Easy Uninstaller works immediately and seems to remove most pieces of trialware (or any software). It does not catch everything, everytime! I've yet to find one that does. It also includes a backup manager for those, just in case scenarios where a critical file is deleted.

Hope this works out for you.

Frank

Collapse -
by waseca kid / May 20, 2004 11:35 PM PDT
Collapse -
by chaddy / May 21, 2004 9:20 AM PDT

When I remove old or unwanted programs I always follow up with a regedit to make sure all is removed. To do this click on your start button and go to run, type in regedit and then hit enter. When the window opens click on Edit > Find, type in the name of the program and then click on find, as it searches through the registy it will stop at anything to do with the program then you hit the delete key and then ok to confirm then press F3 to find next. Do this till all instances are found and removed. Be careful however not to delete any other keys as this action could result in the need to reinstall some programs.
Chaddy

Collapse -
by Keith_C_A / May 21, 2004 2:09 PM PDT

When ever you install any program it inserts files into the system registry, sure you can delete programs by using their uninstall file or by going to add/remove programs. But this will not get rid of those sys reg files. you need a program like Registry Mechanic or RegSupreme to delete these files. Then you will have rmoved ALL or the traces of the program.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Removing old trial programs
by Gowri / May 21, 2004 4:23 PM PDT

sure,there are several registry utilities available which remove registry entries at the time of uninstal. but what about removal of several other files -mostly hidden or sys/ini/dll etc left behind uncleared in various directories? these become junk after removal of original programme. these are not detected/removed by any utilities atleast known to me

Collapse -
by mchill02 / May 29, 2004 1:15 PM PDT

I use ZTREE. www.ztree.com. It is a Powerful file management utility. Things can?t be running,to delete programs first stop them. Then open ZTREE and hit the letter L, then hard drive example, L then C for c: drive,then where the program is installed, use shift key example shift key P this will take you to you program folder, double click and shift key to folder name example, shift key Adobe, when program is highlighted to what you want to get rid of hit, ALT + L key a pop up will ask, Branch Disk So on, hit B for branch, ones you do that hit, ALT + P then a command will say PRUNE: type the word PRUNE, then hit you F2 key 3 times, this will change the read attributes to (+RSH) hidden or read files, then will ask if you want to confirm deletion say no it will delete and get rid of the program, if it is not running if you get a error then it is running shut it down and start over. If you need some help email me. Mchill02@Yahoo.com

Collapse -
Removing all expired trial programs
by Chelli2721 / March 8, 2008 12:08 AM PST

Is there any software to find all expired trial software regardless where they are and remove them as my computer has dozens of such software and running to every program to find out is very tedious work and they;re not in any marked folder when I installed them
need a program searching for expiration dates and bring up a list of all expired software and give me the option of removing keepimg or moving it elsewhere

Collapse -
All the trials I have, do have an uninstall.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 8, 2008 12:30 AM PST

I wonder if you were looking for something to "get around" the trial limits and reactivate it. If so, that question will cause a discussion to find a fast reply then a lock on the entire discussion.

Bob

Collapse -
You may be asking for too much...
by glenn30 / March 8, 2008 1:17 AM PST

I know of no software to mass remove as you are requesting. Since you have not furnished your operating system, I can only suggest to go to Add/Remove programs if using XP or "Programs and Features" in Vista. There you can uninstall them individually. If there are left over remnants in the program folder these can be manually deleted. There seems no other way to removed old and obsolete programs. Sounds like the computer needs a good house cleaning.

Sorry but there are no miracle solutions.

Glenn

Collapse -
re: All the trials I have, do have an uninstall.
by Chelli2721 / March 8, 2008 5:50 PM PST

no I'm looking for s program that will search thru the registry entries and software folders and sniffing its expiration period has ceased as the expiration date and the present date are different the expiration being older the actual current date for trying to remove or move the software to another hold fo;der not interested in workarounds just an easy way to get rid of old trial programs or buy them.hlding that many expired useless software wastes space and slows down performance as well
there are programs that can sniff everything else out so whay not trial programs expiration dates as many of those are set in the registry anyway

Collapse -
All the trials I have, do have an uninstall.
by Chelli2721 / March 8, 2008 8:53 PM PST

Soneone should easily make a program that can sniff out expiration dates easily enough as they;re usiualy embedded in the programs exe or dll file or in the syatem registrty
old shareware was dumb and could be defeated by turning back the date and time but now that developers have eliminated that option it writes a time track somewhere like the registry that it can know when the computer was actually used so think that would be an easy way to create an uninstaller that will be able to seek those out and tell the user what programs are now expired so you can remove them easily as individual files or the whole group

Collapse -
Sorry, there will be no such software for Windows.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 8, 2008 10:59 PM PST

Here's why. There is no standard for Windows software to put in a known place that it will expire by date. Since that would be specific to each software and each version of said software not to mention each software company would have to share where they store it I'm going to write...

"It will never happen."

I hope this explains the situation clearly for you.
Bob

Collapse -
instalation date compared to last recorded date
by Chelli2721 / March 9, 2008 5:54 AM PDT

there has to be an offifical time record somewhere as the software isn;t contiunally running monitoring the date and time as it would lose information everytime the system reset or rebooted it counts records its installation time and relys on the Windows timekeeping record to determine how much time has elapsed for it to decide it;s expiration also if you reset the clock ahead then that time will be written into the record so if you had 30 day evaluation period and you installed the software 3 days ago and changed the date to past 3o days ahead the result would mean the expiration date had already past while in reality no time has passed I learned that the hard way as I set it ahead and my recent trialware was expired after 72 hours
it seeks Windows system official time recording then thus making it possible to compare the installation date with the actual last recorded date since the Windows OS is always running regardless and not relyimg on the software to write its oen enty into the record

Collapse -
"official time" = DOA
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 9, 2008 6:03 AM PDT

That's Dead On Arrival as the PC's time setting is often wrong. I can't count the number of machines that were off by a year or more so between the fact that Windows does not record an install time and this, the entire concept erupts in flames and ends as a smoldering disaster.

Good idea but we're still without any solution as this OS does not enforce any rule that applications reveal themselves as to the registry keys they created, when or where files are and so on.

I wonder if you remember the entire history from DOS to Windows 3.11 to the first concept of add/remove software (Windows 95) and up to today as it would be necessary for you to see how perverse the issue is and why most ideas have not worked.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.