Windows Vista forum

Question

Removing MSN.com as I have set Google for Homepage

by vibeman / February 17, 2013 12:43 AM PST

Everyday when I log on MSN.com opens my homepage.
I have reset www.google.com about 30 times without success. Google has always been my homepage.
As soon as I shut down the Lenovo computer which has Vista and then turn on the computer again up comes MSN.com.
Please assist me and advise how I can remove MSN permanently.
Thanks.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Removing MSN.com as I have set Google for Homepage
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Removing MSN.com as I have set Google for Homepage
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: homepage
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 17, 2013 12:49 AM PST

Your browser should keep the homepage you set. I've never seen it different. If your browser doesn't, there most likely is some add-on that resets it. So find that add-on and disable it. Or switch to another browser (choose between Internet Explorer, Firefox and Chrome).

I've seen software that locks your homepage in a browser, but I've never had the need to use it. But it might work for you. Find it with google?

Kees

Collapse -
Answer
Homepage
by pgc3 / February 17, 2013 1:00 AM PST

How do you go about changing your homepage to GOOGLE? What is the procedure that you are using? Assuming, Internet options, highlight, backspace, input GOOGLE.COM, APPLY, OK...IF that doesn't do the trick, there is a fair possibility that you have a redirect bug going on..if that were to be the case then it is time to break out some anti malware tricks.

Collapse -
Answer
Make Google Your Homepage
by tonite2 / June 7, 2013 6:38 AM PDT

To make Google my homepage i followed the tuturial in the link above.I believe if you do the same,it will help you.If that doesn't help, then you may have to reinstall your browser and follow the tutorial.

Collapse -
I've stopped doing that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 7, 2013 6:57 AM PDT

Instead I install Chrome and leave the home page blank. This makes it dang fast to load and since the location bar is the same as typing in a google.com search page, it's the same same search.

Go fast, don't look back?
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
MSN Homepage
by gideuup / July 15, 2014 10:43 AM PDT

This does the same thing to me. It doesn't matter what I do to it, MSN jumps back in as my homepage and I hate it.

Collapse -
Answer
2 ways
by James Denison / July 15, 2014 1:15 PM PDT

go into Help in FF, then troubleshooting, hit the Reset button.

type about:config in the URL box and when the page opens put http into the search box and find any reference to msn.com and removed it.

Collapse -
Answer
Removing MSN.com as I have set Google for Homepage
by danend / December 15, 2014 1:02 AM PST

I have the same problem, but today I went to tools - internet option and then copied msn webpage. After that went to security, clicked restricted site and added msn there. then went back to general to set google page as homepage. wow, no msn, I restarted my computer just in case to check and no msn webpage.

Collapse -
Answer
try this
by vembutech / January 29, 2015 5:34 AM PST

Hi, in order to change the homepage from your browsers, go to settings and click on the view home page and edit it then change it to Google and save it. To know for all browsers check the below link.

HOMEPAGE

Collapse -
Answer
LOL, how embarassing
by James Denison / May 25, 2015 2:50 AM PDT

Over 1.5 million hits on a thread about removing MSN.com from their computer. Wink

Collapse -
(NT) Now go look at the number for removing Bing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 25, 2015 3:18 PM PDT
In reply to: LOL, how embarassing
Collapse -
where?
by James Denison / May 25, 2015 3:55 PM PDT

You'd need to pop it to the top for me to see it. Even if the post is found in Search, when you go back to the forum, it goes to front page, not to the page where the post is in the listing. The view column doesn't work either to line up by number of views. Some other big view counts I saw was for how to go back to XP from Vista and from W8 back to XP or W7. I put a suggestion in Forum Feedback that Lee maybe for fun find the top 10 or 20 with the most views in each forum and give a listing for them on some page.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.