Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Removing icons from start up task bar

by Learner7 / February 10, 2006 1:23 AM PST

I have 20 or more things that load on start up, I am sure most of them I don't use, how can I get rid of them as they make booting up very slow and I can't use the computer until they are all loaded. How can I know whether they are any use or not?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Removing icons from start up task bar
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Removing icons from start up task bar
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Fresh article about such. (link only)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 10, 2006 2:04 AM PST
Collapse -
I'm supposing you are referring to
by retired / February 10, 2006 2:11 AM PST

the systray down by the clock.
Click start and in the RUN box type msconfig
Put the dot in Selective startup
Click the startup tab
write down or which ever is easiest for you all the items listed. you can look up each one at the link below and un-check any that is not required.

http://www.lafn.org/webconnect/mentor/startup/PENINDEX.HTM

Collapse -
I.m supposing...
by Learner7 / February 10, 2006 8:31 PM PST

Thank you so much for this information which I followed, and deleted many of them however when I rebooted I found a lot of them put back again and found one that was not there before i.e. CTFMON.EXE-OE179698.pf. Have again deleted them and this one, but the web site you recommended me only lists CTFMON.EXE on its own, as there is a ctfmon in system32 as it says, I thought the other one could be a trojan. A message comes up wanting me to load all the stuff again, but it boots up faster and I have more room on the bottom now. Hope I have done the right thing with that file.

Collapse -
Sounds like you are doing fine with it
by retired / February 10, 2006 10:00 PM PST
In reply to: I.m supposing...

Here is info on CTFMON.EXE

http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintaskspro/processlibrary/ctfmon/

If you have something listed that is not on the web site just do a search using GOOGLE and you will most likely find it.

As for the ones that come back, did you put the dot in selective startup? You will get a notice when you restart the computer as to such but just leave the dot there and OK the notice. You may have icons in the systray that are not listed in msconfig, if so, hover the mouse pointer over them and see if you can identify them, post back on that.

Here is a neat little utility you can use to control what is starting up.

http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml

Collapse -
Sounds like...
by Learner7 / February 11, 2006 1:52 AM PST

I checked google for that name, but it couldn't find anything.
I have copied and kept all your advice for future reference! Thanks very much

Collapse -
Work like a charm...
by rdkimber / April 19, 2009 6:32 AM PDT

Following this procedure, I found 3 viruses. I'm surprised AVG 8.0 didn't find these (normally pretty effective) although AVG moved a couple to the virus vault on start up. Don't know if they're related.

I seem to be healed - praise the Lord.

Collapse -
start up probelms
by John Farrell / February 16, 2006 9:10 PM PST

When I go to Run>msconfig I get an error message that says cannot find the file or path. When I do it thru Spy Bit and unclick or uncheck those programs they come back in as soon as I drop them.

What should I do?

John Farrell

Collapse -
John, have a look at this thread
by eddie11013 / February 16, 2006 11:00 PM PST
In reply to: start up probelms
Collapse -
help
by elmer3 / August 21, 2006 4:56 AM PDT

How do you remove icons from XP windows?

Collapse -
Re: help
by Tufenuf / August 21, 2006 5:04 AM PDT
In reply to: help

elmer3, Which icons and which location (desktop, Taskbar, Notification area aside of the clock, etc.) are you trying to remove and why?

Tufenuf

Collapse -
mouse window displayed in XP on startup
by macinnescs / January 2, 2008 2:18 AM PST
In reply to: help

Whenever I start up XP on my laptop, a window opens automatically, displaying mouse properties, etc. How do I stop this from happening?

Collapse -
how to remove or find programs running in task bar?
by bgensj / February 19, 2007 10:55 AM PST

I have an icon in my task bar that looks like a system alert. A balloon pops up and says I have spyware on my machine. If I click the balloon it opens IE 7.0 and opens a web site selling spy removal software called Spy Dawn. I have run Spy Begone! but can remove or find the origin of the program / spyware / malware. Can anyone help?

Collapse -
window xp task bar icon that takes u to a antispyware site
by davzadm / August 7, 2007 12:27 PM PDT

hello everybody,
I'm facing the same problem,how can I remove it? I want to know if somebody has the answer to this, please do post it.
thanks for your time and concern in advance.

Collapse -
davzadm
by tomron / August 7, 2007 12:32 PM PDT
Collapse -
Follow The Instructions In This
by tobeach / April 19, 2009 3:19 PM PDT

Post (#2 of 4)and you'll get clear of SpyDawn as well as most anything it brought in since it arrived. After CCleaner has cleaned your files
(which may take awhile on first run, after which it takes only seconds
on further daily runs) & then running MBAM & SAS,you'll get much better performance.

Mbam updates everyday & SAS usually 5 days a week (Mon-Fri). These are only scanner/removers not background guards in their FREE versions.

Let us know your results please. Happy

Collapse -
Startup Control Panel
by Ed Bellah / February 20, 2007 11:46 AM PST

Just to add to 'Retired's' comment on StartupCPL, I have been using it for 5 or 6 years on WIN98 up to XP/SP2 and have had no problems whatsoever. It is very easy to use and works great.

Collapse -
Task bar
by Peglar18 / November 21, 2009 10:43 PM PST

How do I get rid of icons from the task bar?.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.