Windows Legacy OS

General discussion

removing favorites from explorer menu bar

by djonesc / July 1, 2005 4:29 AM PDT

it drives me crazy .... how do you remove *favorites* from the menu bar of explorer ... NOT internet explorer!

i'm running xp pro, sp2

thanks for any help

darlene

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: removing favorites from explorer menu bar
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: removing favorites from explorer menu bar
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Can't really...
by John.Wilkinson / July 1, 2005 12:14 PM PDT

The favorites are the same as the ones in Internet Explorer, so deleting favorites from one will automtaically delete them from the other. In fact, Windows Explorer and Internet Explorer are tried into one another (should I go so far as to say one-in-the-same?)...a sitaution (integration of IE into Windows) that has creaded a pretty good debate concerning both security and legality. For instance, open Windows Explorer and type in http://www.cnet.com ...it will instantly ''turn into'' Internet Explorer. Thus it is impossible to delete a favorite from one and not the other.

If you are referring to the category ''favorites,'' you're out of luck again. It is impossible to remove a single menu (in this case, favorites), or the entire menu bar (''file'' through ''help''), using ''normal means'' (although there may be a third-party program that can do this). The only thing you can do is remove the ''favorites'' button from the toolbar by right-clicking the toolbar, and selecting ''customize.'' Then scrool down through the list and ''remove'' ''favorites.''

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
A small doubt
by S.Ahmed / July 1, 2005 3:36 PM PDT
In reply to: Can't really...

Hi John,

I totally agree with you regarding the deletion of Fav in Windows Explorer resulting change in IE.

But Once I found that Customer was able to browse in Windows Explorer but not using IE..How would you Explain that.

Thanks
Suhail Ahmed

Collapse -
Windows Explorer
by #Josh / July 1, 2005 3:08 PM PDT

Right,

Now why would you be using Windows explorer???? It' a load of that crapy Microsoft crap, just searching for avavlible updates. USE MOZILLA FIREFOX!!!!!!!! much better.

Btw.. you can't remove any favorites from Windows Explorer.

Collapse -
lol you all failed where i succeed
by hyperdyne / December 30, 2010 7:45 AM PST
In reply to: Windows Explorer

i deleted that, as well as all the other crap that windows uses to keep tabs on users. if somebody asks politely ... perhaps ill tell u. i also have permanent access to run as %system% and can delete anything and everything without the obnoxious blue screen of death. which btw is fake. it only comes up when u go into an area of memory windows didnt want u to. in other words bill gates is a copywrong ****! i have proof all over. bring it.

Collapse -
I assume...
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / December 30, 2010 9:31 PM PST

Good to see someone with 'all the facts' about the lies and misinformation that BG gives out.

I assume you noticed that you replied to a 2005 discussion?

But of course. You're "on the ball"; right?

Mark

Collapse -
if i was the solution - ... - than why does it matter?
by hyperdyne / January 4, 2011 6:01 AM PST
In reply to: I assume...

if u can see this post then it must be worth a reply to then?
if i found this post?
how is it any longer older than newer than yesterday?
if the previous post had an answer which provided a solution or a perhaps a SECRET CLUE, then perhaps it should be sticky noted?

Collapse -
Yep.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / January 4, 2011 7:30 PM PST

Whatever it is you're saying, right.

Locking this discussion now. After 5 and a half years it is time to put this to bed.

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.