Computer Help forum

General discussion

removing Ad-aware

by patty63 / April 4, 2006 12:35 AM PDT

I am trying to install a new internet security software. It says my spyware can't install because there is a conflict with Ad-aware. I tried to unistall Ad aware, but I get this message "Could not open Install.log file". How do I unistall this program? I emailed the company, but haven't heard anything back from them.
Thanks!
Patty

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: removing Ad-aware
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: removing Ad-aware
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Reinstall
by joesmithers06 / April 4, 2006 1:26 AM PDT
In reply to: removing Ad-aware

Every now and then this sort of thing happens, and one of the simplest fixes is to reinstall the program and then uninstall it. Reinstalling should restore the log file needed to uninstall.

Collapse -
Reinstall doesn't fix it.
by patty63 / April 4, 2006 3:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Reinstall

Actually, that was the first thing I tried doing and it didn't work. I still get the ''Could not open Install.log''. Any other ideas?
Thanks!

Collapse -
Patty, Uninstall Instructions From Lavasoft
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / April 4, 2006 4:08 AM PDT
I am unable to uninstall my Ad-Aware program. I get the message "Can't find Install.log"

If you wish to remove our product, try these alternatives:

1. Click "uninstall Ad-Aware" in the lavasoft folder of your start menu
2. If it does not work, open your control panel, click add/remove programs and locate Ad-Aware SE
3. If it still does not work, locate and run (double-click) the file "unwise.exe" (the .exe might not be shown). It should be found in C:\program files\lavasoft\Ad-Aware SE [Personal/Plus/Professional]\

If that does not work, or if you get a message saying something like "Can't find Install.log," perform a manual uninstall, which is not a very difficult procedure. Do the following:

1. Click on "my computer" and navigate to your Lavasoft Ad-Aware folder (C:\program files\lavasoft\ad-aware \
2. Run the file unregaaw.exe
3. Delete the entire ad-aware folder
4. Delete your Lavasoft Ad-Aware link in your start menu (if present)
5. Delete the Ad-Aware icon(s) from your desktop(if present)
6. Navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\[User Name]\Application Data\Lavasoft and delete the entire Lavasoft folder.
7. Empty your trash bin
8. Reboot.

Hope this helps.

Grif
Collapse -
removing Ad-Aware
by savethetatas / September 25, 2010 12:02 AM PDT

It worked for me to delete the Lavasoft folder in Documents&Settings first then in Program files, icons on desktop & startup menu, then empty recycle bin.

Collapse -
can't remove Ad-Aware
by jl_s / July 27, 2012 1:57 AM PDT

ther is no file unregaaw.exe

Collapse -
That's Because The Thread/Post Was From 2006
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / July 30, 2012 8:32 AM PDT
In reply to: can't remove Ad-Aware

The version of Ad-Aware being discussed is an older Ad-Aware SE version. Ad-Aware has changed and I've not been able to find a specific Lavasoft removal tool. In fact, their forums seem to recommend third party removal tools such as the one below:

Download the "freeware" version or Revo Uninstaller (unless you want to pay for it) and run it per their instructions..:

http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
try this..
by tweed81 / April 4, 2006 1:30 PM PDT
In reply to: removing Ad-aware

hello. try this..
-start
-control panel
-add or remove programs

and from there you can get it.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.