Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Remove Unnecessary Services From Win. XP

by sergieyes / May 27, 2010 4:11 PM PDT

My computer: Dell Dimension 3000; my OS: Xp,Service Pack 2.
Do you have a list of all unnecessary services which i can remove or change from XP, Sp2? Can you show me how to change or remove them?
What tweaks are safe, for XP,SP2? ADVISE.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Remove Unnecessary Services From Win. XP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Remove Unnecessary Services From Win. XP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by pcs365_12 / May 27, 2010 7:45 PM PDT

Please go to run>type msconfig and click on the services tab. Here check hide all Microsoft services and manually uncheck the other services which you wont' require, also you can clear startup items if rquired according to your choice, this will help you to boot faster.

Collapse -
by fireworldwideinc / June 11, 2010 7:32 PM PDT

I Use advance system care profesional in turbo mode,works great to disable needless stuff and makes the pc run faster ,best investment i ever made i must say,Try that

Collapse -
While I wonder why you would do this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 27, 2010 8:48 PM PDT

I tried this and found it doesn't always help. In fact it can break features I may be using.

But as this is for you to learn, let's get you the usual best content about this -> READ http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm

It has some columns to choose from that give you a starting point.
Bob

Collapse -
I'd leave those alone
by Dango517 / May 28, 2010 7:42 PM PDT

unless you really know what they are doing.

If you must, well then:

http://www.blackviper.com/

Use this link at your own risk!

Gazing into my crystal ball I'd say you have the strong possibility of an OS reinstallation in your future Grin

This thread untracked.

Collapse -
Reducing services in XP SP-2
by flrhcarr / May 29, 2010 7:39 AM PDT

I agree with the others, switching to manual is the right idea, but you can't do this on everything, nor on msconfig services. That is another area.
Also keep in mind, when you turn something off, you may not be able to use it. So write a list of everything that you turn off, even the "unknown" owners. Reboot your computer, than start using the programs, games & software that you have. This way you can find the ones that you need or don't want. One more thing after reboot, click okay when the warning pops up, & don't check don't remind me, till after you're sure you have everything (or till it bugs you on every reboot).

Additionally, go to my computer & right click on it. Go to the advanced tab. You should see Performance. There you can turn off the Windows fluff & wow. Like animate windows, shadows & things of that nature. All of this takes up speed & memory. It's your choice if you want the options or not.

Just be sure to write down what you have unchecked in msconfig, so you know which ones need to be on. Than keep the copy someplace for reference in the future.

Collapse -
remove stuff
by Zombladez / June 11, 2010 5:54 PM PDT

go into your system services and management then look at services and decide what resources you can not live without all others disable and ther you go!!!!

Collapse -
I've Found That Just Disabling
by tobeach / June 12, 2010 3:11 PM PDT

from msconfig can be problematical IF you don't know what other services/functions may cross depend on what you're disabling. Config at least is easy to change back for the average user.

I found it is better to start>run>services.msc and check out services there as at the bottom you can click "extended" for a more useful description of each service as you highlight with a click.
More importantly, when highlighting each one in question you can right click & check "properties" and then look at last tab on right: "dependencies" which will describe what other services this item depends on being there & also what OTHER functions/services require
this item active to function.

You may be shocked to find several other functions in need that don't seem logical to a non-geek!
Example encryption (I'm not encrypting anything) but if you disable it
...there goes your firewall protection!! Plus a few others!

I've used Black Vipers (new) site using moderate settings mostly changing items to "manual" where possible & disabling some to increase security by closing un-needed paths which might be accessed remotely w/ some success .

Keep a duplicate change log of all you alter(both original set & what you reset to) in case changing back is needed! Keep duplicate in another location for extra safety.Very important. G' Luck!! Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.