Computer Help forum

General discussion

Remove unnecessary/duplicate files and free hard disk space?

by j_enrikez / September 20, 2006 12:25 PM PDT

I have a Sony Vaio Laptop with a 70gb hard drive running windows xp home edition service pack 2. Somehow I have used over 40gb of my drive space, and I can not figure out what is taking up so much space as I am a novice user at best i.e. no extremely large programs, no large music, video or picture collections are stored. I used Cnet's recommended System Mechanic 6 Pro to search for duplicate files and found "6,759 duplicate files, 11.53GB)Being a novice user I am afraid to delete files since they could be system files, or cause me to lose needed information. Can anyone help me figure out WHY there are 6,759 "duplicate files" on my computer, how they got there so I can avoid this in the future, and how do I clean up my system?????

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Remove unnecessary/duplicate files and free hard disk space?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Remove unnecessary/duplicate files and free hard disk space?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Things To Do...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / September 21, 2006 1:20 AM PDT

Please follow the steps below. It will help you clean out the junk stuff on the computer. On Windows XP, it's best to NOT remove the .chk files indicated in the link, but it's not that important either way.

How To Clean Unwanted Files From The Hard Drive

And since you're using Service Pack 2, follow the steps in the link below to tidy up a little more:

Cleanup After SP2 Installation
http://aumha.org/win5/a/sp2faq.php#after

After following all the procedures above, run Error Checking/Chkdsk and Defrag to optimize the hard drive:

How To Run 'Error Checking/Chkdsk' On Win2000/XP

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Cannont delete temp files because of JETCC68.tmp
by j_enrikez / September 21, 2006 10:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Things To Do...

When I attempted to delete the temp files after searching for *.tmp I received the error message "cannot delete JETCC68: it is being used by another person or program"

I do not know who/what program uses this file, but I was able to locate it after "explore" from the start menu. The JETCC68.tmp file is under the folders; windows, system 32, temp folder

On the Local disk (C) I had 15014 items found when I searched.

On the (hard disk (C)) I found 1889 items.

Any suggestions from this point?

Collapse -
Exclude That One File...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / September 21, 2006 10:21 AM PDT

Delete all the other .tmp files listed. When you do a search, simply select all of them, then find the problem file, hold down the "Ctrl" key and click on it once to deselect it. You should then be able to delete all the others.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Duplicate Pool ???
by j_enrikez / September 22, 2006 12:15 AM PDT

I have a couple thousand Duplicate Pool: files What are these and how do I get rid of them? They seem to be what is taking up the 11 GB of space. After following your instructions I have created some free space, but it was in the range of 150mb.

Collapse -
Duplicate Pool
by bob b / September 22, 2006 12:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Duplicate Pool ???

I recall using a product that showed dupe files.

I gave me a nice list and then left it to me to figure out which files were needed and which were not needed.

After looking at that list for a while I said 'nuts' how do I know which files are needed.

If your going to play in that area I hope you have some good backups.

Try this, see what it has to say.

http://www.ccleaner.com/

Collapse -
Thanks
by b1yjks57 / February 27, 2009 11:00 AM PST
In reply to: Duplicate Pool

Thanks for the time for helping me, the cleaner works well.
boomboom Lloyd

Collapse -
Identify Each One..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / September 22, 2006 12:48 PM PDT
In reply to: Duplicate Pool ???

You haven't told us where they are or what they're named.. There are a number of tools that identify "identical files" but as mentioned by Bob, they don't tell you whether they are truly needed or not. I tend to leave those duplicate file lists alone. Unfortunately, 11 GB is a lot of files space.. Most tools identify them by size and name.. Backup files are frequently placed in all sorts of places and some are safe to delete while others aren't.

150 MB of space??.. Generally, simply using the "Disk Cleanup" section and removing all but the most recent Restore Point will get rid of GB's of System Restore space.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech Tip

Stuck without Internet and want to watch movies?

CNET shows you how to download movies and TV shows onto your device using Amazon Prime so you'll always be entertained.