Windows 8

General discussion

Remove Or Block Solitaire

by e. / March 27, 2013 9:20 AM PDT

My wife is really having a problem being consumed by Win8 Solitaire. Any ideas on how I can block or uninstall this? BTW, I know virtually nothing about Win8 so please don't make any assumptions about my knowledge when you provide your help.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Remove Or Block Solitaire
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Remove Or Block Solitaire
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Did you try it like this? Video link only.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 27, 2013 9:28 AM PDT
Collapse -
Go to Control Panel -> Pgms & Features
by wpgwpg / March 27, 2013 9:50 AM PDT

The normal way to install a program is to go to the Programs and Features applet of the Control Panel. I'm not sure that's the best way to deal with an addiction problem, but it is the way to uninstall.

Collapse -
Unless I'm missing something...
by e. / March 28, 2013 3:27 AM PDT

Apparently in previous versions of Windows you could remove Solitaire from like you would remove any other program but I didn't see it listed in the Programs list.

When you refer to the Programs and Features applet of the Control Panel, is that the listing of programs that can be installed, or is it something different? And if so, where do I find this?

Thanks to both of you for your help.

Collapse -
Well.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 28, 2013 3:47 AM PDT
Collapse -
Ah yes, Apps in Windows 8 :-(
by wpgwpg / March 28, 2013 4:48 AM PDT

OK, I just went through it with my Windows 8 system. Sure enough the 20 year old tried and true way of doing this has been changed for reasons that only MS knows! Sad Here's what you need to do.
1) Wiggle the mouse in the upper right corner of the screen to get the charms.
2) Click Search.
3) Type in Solitaire in the search box.
4) You'll see solitaire's icon to the left, right-click the icon.
5) Now look down at the bottom and you'll see an uninstall icon - click on that.

As far as I'm concerned this is just more evidence MS has lost touch with its customers. Sad

Good luck.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.