AVG forum

Question

Remove MyStart Incredibar

by CWAFC / March 7, 2012 4:16 PM PST

Comments on the web suggest My Start by Incredibare is Malware which hijacks whatever browser I use. I have uninstalled it using Control Panel - but it still hijacks IE. Can AVG get rid of it?

I am using Windows XP.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Remove MyStart Incredibar
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Remove MyStart Incredibar
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: Remove MyStart Incredibar
by Ondrej_AVG / March 7, 2012 6:12 PM PST

Hello CWAFC,

This tool was probably installed during installation of other wanted software as additional recommended software (but still must be possible to reject it).

I would recommend to reset Internet Explorer settings and disable all unneeded add-ons (related with MyStart tool).

In case the situation still persists, please gather Gmer anti-rootkit and Autoruns outputs, upload it in an archive (zip file) to favorite online storage and provide us with link to it, so we can analyze the situation.

Thank you

Collapse -
Thanks Ondrej
by CWAFC / March 12, 2012 4:23 PM PDT
Collapse -
Re:
by Ondrej_AVG / March 12, 2012 9:04 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks Ondrej

Hello CWAFC,

My analysis of provided information did not show any remained files (binaries) of MyStart Incredibar, which could be running and injects browsers.

Please check additional settings in used Internet Explorer, which were probably not reset globally:

Open Internet Explorer -> Tools -> Internet Options
- check there is set up correct homepage (nothing related with MyStart)
- go to Programs tab
- go to Manage Add-ons
- go to Search Providers
- make sure your chosen search engine is used a default and the one from MyStart is removed (deactivated)

Then also check instructions in this AVG Forums thread.

What is the current situation?

In case of any persisting MyStart hijacks, please provide us with screenshots of mentioned situation and more detailed description.

Thank you

Collapse -
Success
by CWAFC / March 13, 2012 12:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Re:

Amazing - I had removed MyStart from the list of search engines, but it was still shown as my home page. Have now removed it and all is well. Thank you for your prompt and efficient help.
Conrad.

Collapse -
cwafc
by tenasha12 / June 19, 2012 4:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Success

how did you manage that I removed the entire stupid program but the search engine remains I use internet8 and have windows 7 please advise me to what you did google used to be my homepage and I love it I thank you in advance very much if you could asisst me

Collapse -
Reove Mystart
by gasherr / June 5, 2012 4:23 PM PDT
In reply to: Re:

I used the remove babylon system to remove mystart from firefox and it seems to have worked

Collapse -
Remove mystart
by gasherr / June 5, 2012 4:18 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks Ondrej

I used the remove babylon system to remove mystart and it seems to have worked for firefox.
When I had Babylon this way removed it from windows explorer, google chrome as well.
Worth a try.

Gasherr

Collapse -
help
by tenasha12 / June 19, 2012 2:55 AM PDT

I clearly do not understand how to do this at all I removed the stupid toolbar however it remains as my search engine and I did not request it Google is my search engine this other one is driving me crazy please asisst me because I just do not want it and all its motions yuck I use windows 7 and internet explorer 8 thank you very much in advance my email address is eh12haber@hotmail.ca

Collapse -
Answer
remove mystart incredibar
by gasherr / June 5, 2012 4:05 PM PDT

I used the remove babylon system to remove mystart incredibar from firefox and it seems to have worked

Collapse -
Remove mystart incredibar
by BYOWEB / June 12, 2012 6:52 PM PDT

So I removed Mystart using Spybot ... so I thought.

Using IE, when I clicked on a twitter link I got the Mystart web page. However when I pasted the link in IE the MyStart page didn't appear.

Doing a bit of search online someone suggested that I disable add-ons that indicated MyStart. Well I didn't find anything. HOwever I did see an addon that said "Web Assistant". I disabled it. Then I click on the Twitter linkn in a post and the MyStart page no longer appeared. This worked for me.

Collapse -
Re: remove mystart incredibar
by Ondrej_AVG / June 12, 2012 9:06 PM PDT

Hello BYOWEB,

Please be informed that Web Assistant is added to your computer within MyStart Incredibar (folder C:\Program Files\Web Assistant\ )
In addition to added add-on, there is created "Web Assistant Updater" service, which should be disabled as well, if you are not going to use this added feature.
- press WinKey + R
- type services.msc and confirm
- find mentioned service in the list and open its settings by double-click
- change the startup to manual or disabled, and stop the service, if still running
- confirm all changes

Thank you

Collapse -
screenshot
by tenasha12 / June 19, 2012 3:13 AM PDT

I clearly do not understand how to remove that stupid mystart as homepage when I removed the entire program I am stuck with mystart as homepage and I hate it I use internet 8 and windows 7 google had been my homepage please advise i thank you so very much in advance I have screen shot can not figure out how to upload it

Collapse -
RE: screenshot
by JiriF_AVG AVG Staff / June 19, 2012 11:22 PM PDT
In reply to: screenshot

Hello tenasha12,

Please do not duplicate your posts across the discussion threads. That will not speed up our answer. Also, it makes the discussion difficult to read for other visitors.

If resetting the Internet Explorer configuration has not resolved the situation (defaulted the home page) after the application is removed, we invite you to describe the issue in AVG Forums. This forum does not support file attachments; further investigation may require additional diagnostic data from your computer.

Thank you.

Collapse -
It works
by marvinswagger / June 26, 2012 4:29 AM PDT

@BYOWEB Thank You so much what you said worked. now i can open links on my twitter without mystart toolbar opening up. !!!

Collapse -
help
by rockerrb / July 12, 2012 5:51 PM PDT

I installed a youtube downloader sofware and it also installed incredibar which I want to get rid of.
What is "remove babylon system"? Is this software? How do I do this? How do I use this option to get rid of incredibar?

Help!
Ryan
Denver, CO

Collapse -
RE: help
by JiriF_AVG AVG Staff / July 16, 2012 6:42 PM PDT
In reply to: help

Hello rockerrb,

Yes, removing the Babylon search could remove the Incredibar too. To do that, please use the Windows Control Panel. Please see the other discussion thread as well.

Thank you.

Collapse -
Answer
Removing MySearch
by wild4packers / July 26, 2012 2:13 AM PDT

I struggled with this as well, and after removing the search engine in internet tools, still had the problem with it hijacking my normal search engine. I found a suggestion on a site to also search for the WebAssistant program. Once I removed that program in control panel, no more MyStart. Very simple fix.

Collapse -
No Luck
by Julieanne-Katherine / August 28, 2012 1:13 AM PDT
In reply to: Removing MySearch

First of all, I am computer illiterate, and struggle with all of this. I did however, manage to go into IE options and remove it from my Search Provider. No luck. The problem I am having is whenever I want to download something from 4-Shared, it hi-jacks the page and puts me on the My Start page and my download link disapears. I am to the point of taking my computer into my tech to have him remove this unwanted program. I do have Incredimail as my email program and about ready to get rid of it, if it is the source of the problem. However, I am afraid that removing Incredimail might not solve this. I have a new Dell Computer and it runs on Windows 7 ANY help with this (where I can at least comprehend what to do) would be extremely appreciative.

Thanks so much
JK

Collapse -
RE: No Luck
by JiriF_AVG AVG Staff / August 29, 2012 5:44 PM PDT
In reply to: No Luck

Hi Julieanne-Katherine,

If you have removed from IE search provider, please check if there are no suspicious Toolbars and extensions (screenshot). Also, please make sure to uninstall any unwanted/unused search assistants from Add or remove programs (e.g. Babylon search, MySearch, etc.).

Should the issue persist, please provide us with an msinfo output from your system for brief analysis.

Thank you.

Collapse -
Answer
This old thread is now closed.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 23, 2013 4:15 AM PST

Spammers hit so cleaned and locked.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.