Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Remove Login Screen XP Home Edition???

by glenn30 / November 9, 2003 4:55 AM PST

A relative using Win XP Home Edition is receiving the Login Screen requesting a User Name and Password. She doen't know how this came about and wishes to eliminate the login procedure. I am uncomfortable working with user accounts and need simple instructions to give her. I see on another forum the following but am unsure if this is a valid solution and fear locking her out of Windows:

"Try going to the Control Panel, User Accounts. Then click to change your Account, and to create password. Just clear the password box, and leave it blank and save. Think that might fix ya up if I remember right."

Comments and instructions appreciated!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Remove Login Screen XP Home Edition???
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Remove Login Screen XP Home Edition???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:Remove Login Screen XP Home Edition???
by David Chan / November 9, 2003 8:13 AM PST

That'll work only if there is only one user account.

More than that you'll get the Welcome Screen with a panel of users for you to select to logon.

I suspect that your friend has D/L the .Net Framework Update which automatically creates another user thus triggering the logon screen.

Check in User Accounts and see how many users are there.

BTW, TweakUI for XP allows you to set XP to automatically boot straight into a User Account of your choice.
It's the Logon item. Click the "+" and click Aotologon and follow the instructions.

Collapse -
Or another solution...
by David Chan / November 9, 2003 8:22 AM PST
Collapse -
David, thanks! I knew...
by glenn30 / November 9, 2003 8:46 AM PST
In reply to: Or another solution...

you would reply to this. I will get my cousin's computer and try the first method. I feel sure there is only one user.

Hope you had a great day!!

Thanks again.

Collapse -
by David Chan / November 9, 2003 9:04 AM PST

Didn't reply earlier as I was at the movies..Matrix Revolution! Wow!
You should watch it....

Collapse -
David, problem fixed!!...
by glenn30 / November 9, 2003 11:22 PM PST
In reply to: Glenn..

I e-mailed the post and reply to my cousin intending to fix it soon. She took it all in and before I knew had it fixed. I think she deleted the password. Fortunately it works perfectly. Thanks again!

I will have to see the movie.

Collapse -
login removal
by Morgansweep / June 25, 2013 11:35 PM PDT

Try this it helped me.

Go to control panel, select power options, then advanced tab, uncheck promt for password when return from standy by.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.