The CNET Lounge

General discussion

Remove iGoogle Sidebar

by pizzapanther / October 20, 2008 1:26 AM PDT
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Remove iGoogle Sidebar
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Remove iGoogle Sidebar
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
give it a chance!
by x0lani / October 20, 2008 10:19 PM PDT
In reply to: Remove iGoogle Sidebar

I was a bit overwhelmed by the changes to iGoogle at first as well. Now that I've gotten used to it, I'm actually liking it.

It treats all your RSS feeds like email, and you can selectively burrow into feeds and mark things as read.

Collapse -
one small step in the right direction
by Heathercam / October 20, 2008 10:52 PM PDT

even if that direction is backwards Happy
I'm really hating the new iGoogle. At least when Yahoo and others "upgraded" their layouts, they had an "I hate change - give me the old layout" option. I have yet to find that with iGoogle.... which is making me seriously consider (ugh) yahoo as my new base page.
I especially miss the one-click dropdown on all the rss feed frames. It may seem that I'm anti-change. I don't see it that way. It's just that not all change is necessarily progress.

Collapse -
New IGoogle Homepage
by dcollet / October 22, 2008 1:04 AM PDT

Here's my complaint: Google can't be bothered to respond to their customers......ever......at all..... They seem to have (at least in my opinion) a "take or leave it" attitude about their product. There is a huge exodus to Yahoo (or other parts) because this homepage was forced on us with no opportunity to opt in or out. I would think their advertising viewership would dictate that they at least PRETEND to care. I posted a question about my GMail last year. First of all, it took forever to even find a place on their website to post this question - and then they never answered or acknowledge even receiving it. This time around (with the homepage change) there wasn't even a place to complain to.

Does anyone else feel this way? P.S. If you search igoogle homepage - you'll see pages and pages of links starting with "Complaints about new Google homepage are pouring in...." or something else similar.

Collapse -
Beta software
by Owyn / October 22, 2008 3:02 AM PDT
In reply to: New IGoogle Homepage
Collapse -
(NT) Ooooops. Reply in wrong topic.
by Owyn / October 22, 2008 3:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Beta software
Collapse -
iGoogle Home Page
by dcollet / October 22, 2008 4:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Beta software

Not to be dense, but what does that article have to do with the homepage Google has foisted upon us?

Collapse -
(NT) Absolutely nothing. I replied in the wrong tab.
by Owyn / October 22, 2008 4:32 AM PDT
In reply to: iGoogle Home Page
Collapse -
(NT) And you can't delete a post once submitted
by Owyn / October 22, 2008 4:34 AM PDT
Collapse -
At least it's not just me.
by Heathercam / October 22, 2008 11:25 AM PDT
In reply to: New IGoogle Homepage

I guess misery does love company. I feel better knowing I'm not alone in my discomfort with the new iGoogle. It's also reassuring to know that they don't respond to anyone. ...Not that I ever thought they were singling me out for the silent treatment. Happy
Too bad the original version was so useful. The current version wouldn't seem so bad if we hadn't been spoiled by the old version.

Collapse -
iGone
by Sherylyn2029 / October 25, 2008 5:13 PM PDT

Here's the fix I used for the new igoogle: www.netvibes.com

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.