Windows Legacy OS

General discussion

remove a virus that has write protection

by 16BOBBY / April 27, 2006 1:29 AM PDT

hi all,
i operate on windows xp sp2, media center addition protected by mcafee firewall and virus protection. mcafee engine version 4400, dat version 4748 are running. mcafee interceped a virus "p[1].anr" and said it was 'write protected' and cannot be removed. mcafee site scaned my computer and found 11 virus ending in exploite-byte verify and 1 with extension Q low zone-2.gen. i used my mcafee desktop version an got only 2 exploite-byte verify virus and my site said they cannot be removed. mcafee wants $65.00 to remove the virus. can i remove the virus myself and why did i pay mcafee for protection if they cannot proform? many thanks for the help. bob k

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: remove a virus that has write protection
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: remove a virus that has write protection
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
remove a virus...
by sabyasachi_lawyer / April 27, 2006 1:34 AM PDT

Open your 'Windows Task Manager' (in Win XP, it can be done by pressing 'Ctrl', 'Delete' and 'Alt' tabs together). Then left-click the 'Processes' tab. Find out any running process matching the name of your virus. Click the 'End process' tab. Thereafter try to delete your corrupt file again.
In case of failure, you may try a system restore after running your antivir software once.

Collapse -
removing a virus thats write protecte
by 16BOBBY / April 27, 2006 3:54 AM PDT
In reply to: remove a virus...

thanks i can always count on this site for help but couldn't find the culprit. thought i set my system restore to some date last year but did not. any sther suggestions?

Collapse -
system restore
by jonah jones / April 27, 2006 3:24 PM PDT

is a good thing, and, a bad thing....

if the virus/worm/trojan/whatever is in the restore files, then you would 'take it with you' even if you could go back 1-2-3 years to Day 1 of the computer...

jonah

Collapse -
thank you!
by larauk05 / August 4, 2007 5:55 AM PDT

The below was so helpful in removing harmful software from my computer. Thank you!

////////////////////////////////////////
remove a virus...
by sabyasachi_lawyer - 4/27/06 8:34 AM
In reply to: remove a virus that has write protection by 16BOBBY

Open your 'Windows Task Manager' (in Win XP, it can be done by pressing 'Ctrl', 'Delete' and 'Alt' tabs together). Then left-click the 'Processes' tab. Find out any running process matching the name of your virus. Click the 'End process' tab. Thereafter try to delete your corrupt file again.

Collapse -
Method of last resort
by crash314 / April 27, 2006 3:16 AM PDT

One "fool proof" method of getting rid of even the most persistent virus is to format. Generally a method of last resort, it's quickly becoming the only method as malware writers get more and more clever.

For reasons that have nothing to do with this particular problem, it might be a good idea to dump McAfee's anti-virus. It consumes massive amounts of CPU time, and will tend to slow your system down by 10-20% just with its normal operations. I would highly recommend something like AVG Free as an alternative. Haven't used it in a long time myself, but everything I've heard about some of the latest Norton versions say that it can be as bad as any virus.

Google, or any other search engine, can be very useful tools in learning how to get rid of a particular pest. If you type in the name of the pest you're trying to get rid of, you can usually find information and tools for doing so quickly.

Collapse -
write protected
by 16BOBBY / April 27, 2006 3:57 AM PDT
In reply to: Method of last resort

what format do you mean? i went to google butafter a couple of hours my head began to spin. really appreciate the help.

Collapse -
he means "format your hard disk"
by jonah jones / April 27, 2006 3:17 PM PDT
In reply to: write protected

start over again... as he says "last resort!"

do run adaware/spybot/ewido/anti-virus?

in the mean time you can try this

#go to:

http://security.symantec.com/sscv6/default.asp?langid=ie&venid=sym

Click the GO button, then under Virus Detection, click Start. You might be told that you need to download and install ActiveX Controls for the scan to work, answer Yes.

Write down exactly anything it finds, then go to: http://www.symantec.com/search/ and do a search for what was found. Symantec usually has a removal tool and/or directions for removing manually. Make sure that you follow the instructions for removal, step by step, especially the part regarding disabling System Restore!!!#

Collapse -
Dump McAfee Virus protection ...
by trkcoach22 / May 17, 2006 9:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Method of last resort

Get rid of McAfee all together. Like previously stated it's system hog!
I use AVG and Avast and haven't had a problem since like I did when I used McAfee.
But before you do try this... Boot up in safe mode then run your anti-virus program. This works because nothing is running but your basic OS. The programs are then free to delete or uninstall.
Then re-boot and check again to see if it's still there.
Then if you do decide to get rid of McAfee then now is the time to do it and create a restore point afterwords.
And some McAfee programs are extremely hard to uninstall ...if they are just use the same method stated above.
Good luck!
Ron

Collapse -
remove a virus...
by sabyasachi_lawyer / April 27, 2006 4:02 AM PDT

Dumping McAfee is a good idea.Uninstall it.
Please try AntiVir Personal Edition Classic Edition 7 from this site : http://www.free-av.com
Run Antivir and see.
IN ADDITION use Ad Aware - Please Google the name to find the download site.
Both are freeware.
These should solve your problem.

Collapse -
I 2nd That & Spybot S&D As Well. Here's Link to Page With...
by tobeach / April 27, 2006 5:02 PM PDT

Spybot & AdawareSE download links (& many other Legit
programs, most free):
http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6132-0.html?forumID=32&threadID=114259&messageID=1298628
Also suggest CCleaner (for temp files, surf history etc): First Link to download & print to have on hand before installing. 2nd to download program.Choose Slim(preferred) or Basic (if you need extra languages).
http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-7813-0.html?forumID=5&threadID=165759&messageID=1836689
http://www.ccleaner.com/downloadbuilds.asp
Enjoy! Grin

Collapse -
watch the spelling
by hothta / April 27, 2006 9:45 PM PDT

plz be care ful with the spelling of ad-aware and other way can get you a virus

Collapse -
I Am Unfamiliar With The Virus You Mention(Don't Doubt You)
by tobeach / April 28, 2006 5:13 PM PDT
In reply to: watch the spelling

Have you further info or link about this problem? I would be interested in reading more.
The spelling (per se) is correct + or - the missing Hyphen. To avoid confusion I always include the "SE" as any imitators I know of don't include the SE.
At least the link is a safe one. If clicked, no chance of error.
Perhaps I've mis-understood?:
Was your warning just one to anyone in general about "near spellings" usually leading to trouble? That IS very true and applies to slight misspellings so numerous the list would probably overload my machines memory! LOL! Grin

Collapse -
PROBLEM REMOVING McAFEE VIRUS PROTECTION FROM MY LAPTOP.
by hulanh / August 4, 2007 7:41 PM PDT

I'm seeking insights from those of you who may have had my problem with McAfee Security Program. I wanted to change because it consumes so much RAM memory in startup that my computer takes a long time to finally be able to function. Plus, I updated for the 1st time after purchasing my new AMD Turion 64 Laptop with Windows XP with the cheapest protection offered and I keep getting the popup saying that I need to renew my subscription. I decided to go with the protection that is offered with my SBC Global service which is provided as part of my service.

So, I had a computer tech. come and tune up both my laptop and my wife's console computer and then remove my McAfee program so that the other could be installed. PROBLEM!!!: He COULD NOT REMOVE all of the McAfee installation by use of the normal removeal tool, going into DOS, and even using a special tool that he had on his USB memory stick. He removed enough of it so that the other program could be installed BUT I still have constant popups from McAfee stating that my computer is not protected and to scan for repair, etc. CAN ANYBODY TELL ME how I can get the rest of that program off my computer? Please? I have tried several times since then to do it myself and once I commit to pressing the "remove it" button, the popup that says that removal is "in progress" gets locked in and the only way I can get rid of it is to kill my computer in place. I can't even shut my laptop down or reboot it the normal way.

THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT.
hulanh

Collapse -
I went to check on antivirus products on google
by DarCLew2 / April 27, 2006 2:58 PM PDT

in re: antivirus, there is one free for a year.
by DarCLew2 (see profile) - April 26, 2006

At this link: http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/ . It is EZ e-trust Antivirus from Computer Associates and it is for Microsoft users, a partner of Microsoft. If you put into google, "antivirus" without the qoutes there is a listing of the best to the worst on the side, this is in the #3 spot and better than both Norton and McAfee. You can get two years for a small amount - and it is what I was charged for a renewal. Darrell

Collapse -
write protected virus
by 16BOBBY / April 28, 2006 1:17 AM PDT

hi all,
many, many thanks for all your help and suggestions. am trying all and learning alot. will let you know final results. again many thanks bob k

Collapse -
remove write protected viruses
by 16BOBBY / April 28, 2006 12:51 PM PDT
In reply to: write protected virus

hi all,
i have gotten ride of my write protected virus thanks to you all. you all and this site always come thru and i'm thankful i found this site. again, many thanks for all the help you have given me. i will be back again in the future for help or to help someone. bob k

Collapse -
re: to remove
by WOODS-HICK / April 28, 2006 11:45 PM PDT

what finally solved your problem? With so many options you should post the details. Thanks

Collapse -
OR Here's a Link to a Page With Several Trusted Free AV's..
by tobeach / April 29, 2006 5:22 PM PDT
Collapse -
hi all!
by laokoonti / November 10, 2008 4:15 AM PST

i have problems with my pc because after i format the hard disc C: in hard disc D: my music, photos and other folders are with a green colors the names and 20% of the music and photos dont open and say: THE DISC IS NOT FULL OR WRITE-PROTECTED! i have lost much things!
please help me !
peace!!

Collapse -
empty your java cache
by izhak2 / April 28, 2006 11:12 PM PDT

most byte verify virii are aimed at the older MS Java Virtual machine - Sun Java ( which you should be running) confines them to the cache ( which is write protected - go to control panel - Java - and empty your cache and re-boot - scan again and it should be gone

Collapse -
I Agree w/ Kikoguy,Java Byte-Verify Lives in Your Java Cache
by tobeach / April 29, 2006 5:16 PM PDT

May be a little harder to empty cache as their are in fact 2 caches w/ Sun Java/ 5 in Mozilla/ Many in Win.
Could possibly cross migrate to remaining MS java even if "not in service".These are usually in internet temp files but other temps might also get a piece of the action.
I have found CCleaner (Freeware) gets both the above out. It's not an AV but an extensive temp/cache cleaner...BUT it does get Byte Verify deleted.
One caution: After you've downloaded (& printed out for reference) the Help file (descriptions of items to be cleaned) and then installed either the "Slim"(suggested) or "Basic"(if you need additional language files) version. BEFORE running first scan, You'll need to uncheck ONE box in particular that by default prevents deleting any temp file less than 48 hours old. This is to get complete emptying of all so as to remove virus. Once clean, go back in and recheck the box!
The box I refer to is found: Open main page, click "Options" & uncheck "Only delete files in Windows Temp folders older than 48 hours".
Additionally, add the download page below to your IE Favorites/ Bookmarks list and use it to check for updates about once per month.
While in "Options" click on "Settings" and uncheck:
"automatically check for updates" to prevent getting an undesirable version. Use my link monthly.
I run CCleaner immediately before & after each net visit as it only takes under 5 seconds to clean.
Help file to print out:
http://www.ccleaner.com/help/fileclean.asp
Download Free Program Link:
http://www.ccleaner.com/downloadbuilds.asp
You're gonna Love it!! Happy

Collapse -
Easy! use "Deleteonboot"
by PC_Nerd-Henry_Chan / April 29, 2006 6:16 PM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Yes: Move on Boot Is Valuable Tool to Have on Comp! :D
by tobeach / April 30, 2006 3:23 PM PDT
Collapse -
anti virious
by tillbrook / May 1, 2006 9:25 AM PDT

i find nod 32 is better then any thing else i have tried it stops all virious noel

Collapse -
This will unlock the file
by Merl Priester / May 2, 2006 1:35 AM PDT
Collapse -
how to unlock files in my 2gb kingston flash memory card
by touchitsolutions / January 24, 2009 3:52 PM PST

Hi all
I have a couple of files that are locked in my flash card which is a (kingston ultimate flash memroy card)just to inform you i have accessed files from a lynux program ,but as i view the list of files there is like a padlock icon on some files that i cannot get access to as i dont know the password required can anyone help thanks

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.