Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Remote wireless switch

by automatedtrix / December 12, 2012 2:30 AM PST

I work in a large plant that has many remote sprinker systems. I am looking for an addressable wireless Sw N.O. or N.C. that when activated will connect to my wireless system and let me know whitch remote station has went off.
Any suggestions

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Remote wireless switch
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Remote wireless switch
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Any safety concerns?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 12, 2012 2:38 AM PST
In reply to: Remote wireless switch

I worked in an industrial design company for such things and when safety was involved you could only use wire. For monitoring that was a different issue but for safety where lives were at stake then you went wired, added horns, bells, lights and such to meet the local code.

Don't do this without checking codes.

With that out of the way there are companies that do this and can get you up to about a mile away for about 1,500 bucks per device. Installation, modification and such are of course not included.

Collapse -
Safty concerns
by automatedtrix / December 20, 2012 1:57 AM PST
In reply to: Any safety concerns?

I am just monitoring remote fire hydrant stations that have no monitoring right now. I am in the process of putting up a wireless system. So getting all the info before hand is the biggest step

Collapse -
Section D 1 of linked pdf.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 20, 2012 2:39 AM PST
In reply to: Safty concerns
Collapse -
Safety requirements
by automatedtrix / January 11, 2013 3:27 AM PST

I don't know why it has to be so difficult?
First we are a remote lumber mill with our own system. At the present time every thing is in place except remote monitoring. We are locate in Canada therefore your fire hydrant requirement do not apply.
Second it is not the fire hydrants that we are wanting to monitor. It is the dry valve stations. Each station needs to be monitor for Freezing, Air Pressure and System trip.
Third we are only moniotoring secondary issues air pressure and monitoring the water bell when it maybe sounding and thermostat. We have had issues where the valve has opened because the air compressor has quite. The Dry valve is in a remote location so we sometimes do not hear it unless there is a station check. The system is still functioning properly our only issue is when this happens in the winter time things freeze up.
I could run wires to all these stations but why? When we have the technology to put in a wireless switch with an IP address attached to it and take care of it all..

Collapse -
Small world.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 11, 2013 3:33 AM PST
In reply to: Safety requirements
Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 11, 2013 3:45 AM PST
In reply to: Small world.

Not to be confused with wide temperature, below freezing or "harsh environments."

My background includes industrial electronic designs, military and more. But as time passed I have done more and more consumer grade work. For one system I used an "IPPower 9212" box. Here's a link.

Here's a power switch.

These were used in a low cost automatic tester. The temperature range was not extreme so it was OK.

Collapse -
by automatedtrix / January 18, 2013 3:44 AM PST
In reply to: Small world.

Thanks for this info it is what I am looking for, very simple and easy to setup.

Collapse -
You're welcome. Sorry for the long path.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 18, 2013 3:54 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks

But as you can imagine my background in industrial control and more has me a little gun shy about regulations and more. For the automatic testers we have a lot more leeway since it's just what it is without the usual regulations to worry about. Then again, we still have OSHA to worry about but another day, another story.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.