Mac Applications forum

General discussion

Remote Control Software for Macs

by flemdog89 / June 6, 2007 3:42 AM PDT

I just caught this on, and then saw it on the logmein page. It looks like LogMeIn released a consumer remote control app for macs.

I have not tried it yet, as I'm still at work, but it def. looks promising. I can basically remote control my mac for free (still skeptical as to how 'free' it is) from any pc.

"LogMeIn has brought its services to Mac OS X, allowing platform-agnostic remote login to Macs -- with full controls --from any Internet-connected computer and some handheld devices."

Has anyone tried this yet?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Remote Control Software for Macs
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Remote Control Software for Macs
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sorry, no. I'm an old VNC user.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 6, 2007 3:51 AM PDT
Collapse -
I'm with Bob, but
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / June 6, 2007 4:16 AM PDT

this looks remarkable similar to the GoToMyPc system where you log onto a middleman who then connects you to your machine.

Collapse -
We used
by boya84 / June 6, 2007 4:53 AM PDT
Collapse -
Now that's an expensive way to go.
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / June 6, 2007 6:53 AM PDT
In reply to: We used

You cannot beat free

Collapse -
NOTHING is free.
by boya84 / June 6, 2007 8:02 AM PDT

Ever. The method of payment might be different or delayed...

Collapse -
I'm a VNC user for over 10 years and ...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 6, 2007 9:27 AM PDT
In reply to: NOTHING is free.

The bill has never come due.

Collapse -
by boya84 / June 6, 2007 10:07 AM PDT

hope you're sleeping with one eye open... Wink

Collapse -
To communicate directly with another machine
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / June 6, 2007 10:38 AM PDT
In reply to: NOTHING is free.

I would have to spend almost $200 to talk with the first machine and then $100 for each machine after that.

Apple Remote Desktop, free as part of OS X
Chicken of the VNC, free
VineServer, free
VNCconnect, free.
VPN client, free as part of OS X

I too, sleep soundly with both eyes shut.

Collapse -
This is not news
by lkopel / June 8, 2007 1:39 PM PDT

Logmein is offering a "preview" version for free, as long as you commit to provide feedback. Basically it's a beta test.

NTRGlobal has a stable, reliable and FREE Mac product available. It's been around for years and works perfectly every time. Even better, it works with Macs AND Pcs! You can get a free account at

Collapse -
As a previous poster mentioned,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / June 9, 2007 12:14 AM PDT
In reply to: This is not news

nothing is free and that includes this service.

It may work very well but I am always wary of a product for which the vendors will not reveal a price for it.

Obviously this one is not free, just a free trial.

Collapse -
NTRconnect IS Free!
by lkopel / June 9, 2007 5:20 AM PDT

NTRconnect is a free service from NTRglobal. It is not a "preview" or "trial". Here is the logic: If you like the free product you may buy or recommend one of their more advanced remote support solutions for the Mac or PC (they have free trials for those products on their website).

If your requirements are met by the free product then there is no reason for you to buy anything else. Check them out at

Collapse -
I must be missing something, because
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / June 9, 2007 11:43 AM PDT
In reply to: NTRconnect IS Free!

when I go to that site there is only an option to buy it or use the free trial.

New user?
Download NTRconnect and follow the simple process. Once finished, you will be able to enjoy full functionality of NTRconnect Pro for 30 days.
Try it free for 30 days

Maybe you have another page that you have not mentioned.

Collapse -
Hold the phone,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / June 9, 2007 12:03 PM PDT
In reply to: NTRconnect IS Free!

That took a little digging but I finally found the product known as NTEconnctFree.

Now that I have it cornered, I'll check it out.

Apologies for being a little blind.

Collapse -
Re LogMeIn for the Mac...
by blangton / June 9, 2007 11:45 AM PDT

I have been using the free version of LogMeIn on several of my PC's for almost a year. It works great and has allowed me to re-boot my PC's from afar, send myself a file via E-Mail that I might have forgotten, etc, many times.

I installed the Mac version as well and I am now able to do the same with my Mac from anywhere - including my PC's. Works like a charm.

Give it a try - it's a simple download and install. The "FREE" version is just that - FREE. It is limited in its abilities but meet my needs.

Good luck,

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.