Computer Help forum

General discussion

Remote assistance / Networking

by AInTeL / September 19, 2009 11:42 AM PDT

Friend can connect and use remote assistance on my machine (home), but I cannot connect to friend's machine because they are behind college router/firewall.

How do I configure windows remoteassistance OR remotelyanywhere software to allow the connection?

Reverse proxy, listen on port, yadayada. I can get the external and internal ip for the college friend but port forwarding is not an option.

Thanks in advance

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Remote assistance / Networking
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Remote assistance / Networking
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You can't
by Jimmy Greystone / September 19, 2009 12:12 PM PDT

You can't, unless you happen to be a very attractive woman and fully exploit your "assets" to convince someone in IT (who hopefully isn't a straight woman (yes, there are a few)) to set up an exception for you.

Failing that, you're screwed, that's all there is to it. Any attempt to circumvent this will likely land your friend in some very serious trouble with the campus IT people.

Collapse -
Hi there!
by jonasmikhail / September 20, 2009 4:39 AM PDT

I had an experienced before, I was working in a company and I installed a remote access software so that I can access my PC from the office to my home to check my office emails/work. It worked fine.

Usually it should work normally in both ways, if your friend can access your PC, your friend's firewall already allowed/unblock your IP. If it was your turn to access your friend's PC you should check the --> firewall setup of your Friend's PC and not the school.

Usually if your friend is using Windows, it's easy to turn off firewall settings in security. How about his anti virus or internet security SW, did you check it's firewall settings?

One thing you can do to eliminate the college firewall is to setup a PC with the same Remote software INSIDE the college. This way, you won't have to worry about the firewall that could block the IP because it's already inside the campus' firewall.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Probably Won't Work In This Case..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / September 20, 2009 8:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Hi there!

Most schools/universities, like many larger companies, have a special domain level firewall which requires special permissions to access any computer inside the firewall.. It won't be a simply computer level, software firewall but is control by the university's IT department.. That's a different situation entirely than what you're experienced on a small, LAN in a small office network. The firewall can't be controlled locally. Occasionally, such access is allowed but all permissions for such would need to be given by the uni's IT folks.

And setting up the Remote Control software "inside" the domain firewall may, or may not work depending on how their access works.. Most importantly, I doubt the poster wants to join the college simply to access the internal computer.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Thanks Grif
by jonasmikhail / September 26, 2009 4:03 AM PDT

The guy didn't return for the answer on this post. Either, he forget it or solved it on his own.

But, thanks for your tip Grif, appreciate it.

Collapse -
by AInTeL / September 26, 2009 8:13 AM PDT

Nope, I've been reading all along!

I'm aware of all the points people have made, I wouldn't be persuing it if I were a complete computer/networking novice. Thus, so far I'm unsatisfied with the answers given, so I've been waiting for the right one Silly

Collapse -
In that case
by Jimmy Greystone / September 26, 2009 8:18 AM PDT
In reply to: re:

In that case, you'll be waiting a LOOOOONG time, because this just isn't going to happen I'm afraid. The only solution is getting someone in the University IT department to make an exception, and that's just not going to happen. University jobs are quite cushy, and it's difficult to be fired from them... Unless you do something like create a gaping hole in the security that could have far reaching consequences for the entire student body.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.