Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Remote access router from outside my home

by PudgyOne / August 8, 2008 7:07 PM PDT

I have a Linksys WRT54GS. It has that I can access the router when I'm not home.

How do I go about doing this?

I tried searching for the answer but all I could find was something to the effect that you need to enter your ip address and then : and port number, is this correct? It should then prompt you for your password.

The manual is so vague and I thought it may come in handy if I'm at work some night and have to unblock the restrictions, if I need to.

Any information would be very helpful.

Rick

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Remote access router from outside my home
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Remote access router from outside my home
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Not the best practise for security reasons but
by samkh / August 9, 2008 12:32 AM PDT

if you must, here is an example from Netgear. Something similar will apply for your Linksys. Make damn sure you really, really want to do this.

Remote Management Help

Using the Remote Management menu, you can allow a user on the Internet to configure, upgrade and check the status of your router.

IMPORTANT: Be sure to change the router's default password to a very secure password.

Turn Remote Management On

1. Click the check box to Turn Remote Management On.
2. Click the Apply button to save this change.

Remote Management Address

This is the current address you will use when accessing your router from the Internet. To access the router, you will type your router's WAN IP address into your browser's Address (in IE) or Location (in Netscape) box, followed by a colon (:) and the custom port number. For example, if your external address is 10.0.0.123 and you use port number 8080, enter in your browser:

http://10.0.0.123:8080

Allow Remote Access

For security, you should restrict access to as few external IP addresses as practical.

Click Only This Computer to allow access by only one IP address.

Click IP Address Range to allow access from a range of IP addresses on the Internet, enter a beginning and ending IP address to define the allowed range.

Click Everyone to allow access by everyone on the Internet.

Port Number

Web browser access normally uses the standard HTTP service port 80. For greater security, you can change the remote management web interface to a custom port by entering that number in the box provided. Choose a number between 1024 and 65534, but do not use the number of any common service port.

To Save Or Cancel Changes

Click Apply to have your changes take effect.
Click Cancel to return to the previous settings.

Collapse -
Basically
by PudgyOne / August 9, 2008 1:18 AM PDT

Mine says the same thing except I don't see anything where it can restrict computers. It allows all but, you have to then log in using the username and the new password. It will NOT allow you to use this function with the default password.

Thank you for clearing this up for me. I kinda had a hunch but I wanted to make sure what was going on. I will turn it on some evening before I go to work and then try accessing the wireless router from the work computer.

Thanks again,

Rick

Collapse -
Looks like
by samkh / August 9, 2008 2:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Basically

your model doesn't have client restrictions, which makes it even more hazardous. If I were you, I'd play with remote access only while all in-house PCs are disconnected. And use HTTPS access.

If you like it, you can then search for and buy more robust models, but realize that remote access is not exactly hazard-free.

Collapse -
I really don't feel too concerned.
by PudgyOne / August 9, 2008 5:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Looks like

I have a special password that's NOT in the dictionary and it would take quite a while to crack. It's just as good as my WPA password. If they can find my WPA password, then they can find my WPA key.

Just don't have Joshua from War Games(movie) try to find the password. Wink

Rick

Collapse -
wep are..
by benriv16 / November 20, 2010 2:46 PM PST

wep passwords are actually crackable :)...quite ez actually, u just gotta have a really fast computer and the patience for it hahahaha ive tried it a few times with my own network to make sure it was secure Happy

Collapse -
Yes. WEP is dead.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 20, 2010 3:37 PM PST

It's about 2 minutes for the usual PC to find the WEP password. It's not a brute force attack either. It was a flaw.
Bob

Collapse -
How do you use with HTTPS?
by whiterainsofnight / November 10, 2011 6:33 AM PST

Thanks for the heads up on this, but do you know how to securely do it?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.