Car Tech forum

General discussion

Remembering the EV-1

by phoenixzion / September 16, 2008 5:45 AM PDT

So, as I'm browsing I notice that GM is announcing its "new" electric car concept, the Volt.

Cute, but what about the EV-1 that GM sunk at the end of the 20th century? The EV-1 was a fully electric car the GM FAILED to back, promote. The promises of H2 were coming around (at a time when they had already said, "just 5 more years".

I want urge everyone to go and watch the documentary,
"Who Killed the Electric Car?"

Spoiler Alret: Exxon and GM killed it because of obvious reasons.

I just want to help people remember that it was this company that said just 7 years ago, "Theres no demand for electric cars" and then went and built bigger and more gas guzzling vehicles.

Magically....they are releasing "concepts?".
I want to call BULL ****!!!

The technology has been there for a long time, its just they didn't want us to have it and they did their best to cover it up by destroying every last EV-1 they had.

Go EV-1

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Remembering the EV-1
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Remembering the EV-1
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
And Massachusetts bans the electric car.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 16, 2008 11:15 AM PDT
In reply to: Remembering the EV-1
Collapse -
EV1 vs Volt
by WaltT / September 17, 2008 9:25 PM PDT

Yup I remember the EV1 saw one when I was a kid back in the day. A guy from the states was visiting here in Canada. It was a really nice car and it made sense, all electric no gas. I wondered what happened to them then saw the documentary. Funny thing the Volts frame design with the battery placement is pretty much the EV1, with the exception of the added gas engine. In my opinion they should have just brought back the EV1, but that owuld mean they would have to admit the truth about how they were and still are in cohoots with gas industry and don't really care about the enviroment or what the consumer wants.
As the documentary points out the battery tech does exist, a gas engine is not neccesary for the Volt.

Collapse -
Ask the question.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 17, 2008 9:30 PM PDT
In reply to: EV1 vs Volt

"How many more trillion dollars of business is there to be done with gas, diesal (gas or liquid fuel) is there to be done?"

Collapse -
re: EV1 vs Volt
by wcunning CNET staff / September 18, 2008 3:01 AM PDT
In reply to: EV1 vs Volt

A lot of the research that GM did for the EV1 is going into the Volt, such as low rolling resistance tires and regen braking. The reason they put the gas engine in there is to get range beyond 40 miles. A car that can only go 40 miles (a range that varies drastically depending on how you drive) only works for a niche market. GM wants to market a car that will be at least as popular as the Prius, so it has to have range equivalent to the gas-engined competition.

Collapse -
by borgward1 / September 18, 2008 10:15 AM PDT

Unfortunately, this film, "Who Killed the Electric Car" is referred to by the engineers who worked on the EV-1 as a "crockumentary." There was no conspiracy to kill the car, and the technology used for the 1st generation was not exactly an environmental triumph, unless you like lead plates and battery acid.

"GM never offered the EV1 for public sale. It was only available to consumers under a lease program that had a "no purchase" clause disallowing the vehicle's re-purchase at the conclusion of the lease. 660 Generation One EV1s were produced for the 1997 model year,[2] using lead acid batteries;[3]and each found a lessee.
In December 1999, GM released approximately 200 of the new Generation Two 1999 EV1s with the new nickel metal hydride battery. Over the next 8 months, the remaining 257 Generation Two EV1s were released to certain selected lessees which initiated a lengthy waiting list.[4] In mid 2000, GM closed the EV1 plant. A total of 457 Generation Two EV1s were produced and all were eventually leased.
On March 2, 2000, 450 Generation One EV1s were recalled by GM due to a faulty charge port cable that GM determined would lead to heat buildup and even fire. Despite the initial claim of only sixteen "thermal incidents" and no property damage, at least one fire originating at the charge port actually occurred, destroying the car of Ron Brauer and Ruth Bygness as it charged[5]. This did not affect the Generation Two EV1s.[6]
Over the next two years, approximately 200 of the Generation One EV1s were re-issued to their original lessees on revised two-year leases including a new limited-mileage clause.[7] The delays were due to design complications in retrofitting the NiMH battery.[8] Due to the tenuous retrofitting process and limited number of recall replacement parts available, GM offered the waiting Generation One lessees the opportunity to terminate their lease at no charge,[9][10] or the chance to transfer the lease to one of the few 150 Generation Two EV1s left ? ahead of those already on the Generation Two waiting list.[11]"

Collapse -
Remembering the EV-1
by STROKER 526 / September 26, 2008 7:02 PM PDT

Yes, you are correct the EV-1 was the right car comming out at the right time back in the mid 1990's for us the consumers of the World. But the wicked intent of the Automakers & Gas Companies is clearly shown in the current Economic Situation all Nations find themselves in Right this moment, triggered by the unrelenting greed of the Gas Companies to strip us all of every possible dime! The same way they Killed the EV-1 they are sabbotaging the Chevy Volt and all other Concept Electric Cars by putting in inferior Batteries with Less than a 50 mile range when 150 mile range units were created in the early 2000's. and putting YES a small gasoline motor to charge thr 40 Mi. units. If that's not bad enough they want to lease the bad batteries to the car buying public for $10,000.00 per car!!! This has now become a National Sercurity for each Country. And Someone has to put their foot down and say "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH".

Collapse -
GM's business model has been planned obsolescense
by MarcBayside / November 26, 2008 12:32 PM PST

responding to Borg...

While you seem to be attempting to downplay the message of the movie"Who Killed the Electric Car" and explain that the first generation of lead acid batteries were replaced in the 2nd generation, what you don't explain 1) is that GM already owned an interest in Ovionics which did the R&D and manufactured NiMH batteries in the late 90's and 2) besides the fact that the people leasing the 2nd wave of EV's that had the NiMH installed from the get go were not allowed to either renew the lease at the end of the term or to purchase the vehicles. The only explaination for GM destroying these beautiful vehicles was due to not wanting more than minimal public recongintion or interest .

The fact that the EVs could go 150 miles between charges and the volt which doesn't promise to get more than 40 miles per charge is getting far more advertising just further suggests that GM is planning the electric car to be a failure.

Further, the Volt is expected to list for $40,000. That is before a $7,500 credit which Wagoner mananged to hustle from Resident Bush. It was special legislation pork for a car spelled v o l t.

GM's business model has been planned obsolescense

Collapse -
Should GM be bailed out?
by MarcBayside / November 26, 2008 12:40 PM PST

What is the answer to the auto mobile industry bail out? Does it make any sense to provide financial assistance to companies that have Board of Directors and CEOs that treat the business like an ATM machine? I agreed with Representative Ackerman getting mad at CEOs callousness to fly personal jets into DC to ask for a hand out. They fought CAF

Collapse -
This is a good place for a plugin
by rustytoo / August 26, 2009 4:58 PM PDT

Well eye for an eye(screw them). I don't drive a lot, anything 60+ range would be great! I dont mind the ICE for a kind of backup but if the car had a 100mi range to start with it wouldn't need it!
Till the big 3 (or anyone)make an affordable plugin car I AINT BUYIN'!!!
I give full kudos to the likes of Tesla Motors for a great car, problem is that with a small company is that they can't sell it that cheap(for the masses). Gimme an equivalent EV1 for 25K and I'm in. It's been said that the all electric car is not for everyone(just 90%) well I agree!
Wanna sell more cars?? Build what we want!!

Collapse -
by matt81sm / July 7, 2010 12:56 PM PDT

these guys should have spent a lot more on R&D than they actually did. in the end i guess most of the blame should go on the shoulders of the management. personally i like chevys very much. i recently got a 75 nova for which i am doing the upgrading. i like it how you can spend hours on these cars and still dont feel tired.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.