Computer Help forum

General discussion

Reinstalling windows on a Compaq Presario V2000

by Vlad253 / May 28, 2009 3:22 PM PDT

Hi, I have a compaq presario v2000 and it has many problems. I think it has a few viruses and things like that. It currently has Windows xp home and i was going to upgrade to Windows xp pro. The question i have is if I need to install drivers when i reinstall (lost the driver cd). I was wondering if it will even display anything, if it needs some display driver or something. Should i make a cd with all the drivers on it, Where can i get these drivers?? Or after i reinstall can i go on the internet or something and get it straight from there?? I am just worried that if I reinstall and dont get the correct drivers my computer wont work at all

any advice or help??

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Reinstalling windows on a Compaq Presario V2000
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Reinstalling windows on a Compaq Presario V2000
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Drivers are at the HP/Compaq site . . .
by Coryphaeus / May 28, 2009 10:00 PM PDT

Go into Device Manager and write down all the devices such as video adapter, audio, network card(s), etc. Then go here:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/pfinder?query=v2000&dest_page=product&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en

and input the machine specifics, then get the drivers and burn to a CD. Upon installing XP you will get a basic screen with no sound. Install the drivers you downloaded and you should be good to go. Since you say you're infected, DO NOT do an "over the top" install, or upgrade. Do a full format and clean install.

Wayne

Click here to see the CNet faces, learn a little about analog and digital data, Internet connections, Spyware removal, and download free software (and a GREAT chocolate-cherry cobbler recipe).
Daylight Savings Time - "Only white man would believe you could cut off top of blanket, sew it to bottom of blanket, and have longer blanket."

Collapse -
Just finished working on a v2030us
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 28, 2009 10:16 PM PDT

The v2000 is a line with 60 or more models. The really cool thing about every v2000 I encountered is that it was old school install with the bare Microsoft OS and then drivers for motherboard, video, etc.

HOWEVER there is a known issue of the machine crashing and I have removed many wifi modules from this line over the years. The REALLY HARD PART is that owners sometimes what the module replaced (it only fails again) or think a driver will fix it. One fellow didn't believe and found another shop. Some 500 bucks later is the end of that story.

So there it is. Yes, use XP Pro SP2 or later CDs (hint hint) and then the drivers just like you do for any Windows install.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.