Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Reinstalling Windows....I don't want to lose my files.

by DonGallego28 / February 25, 2005 2:44 PM PST

I'm having some major problems with Windows XP all of a sudden. I tried repairing it and to no avail. It's slowed to a crawl on start up and it's nearly impossible to delete empty folders. I've decided to just completely reinstall windows xp but I don't want to lose all my files and programs. Is there a way to do that?

I found this article but I wanted to make sure with the experts here that this is indeed the way to go. Thanks

http://www.pcworld.com/howto/article/0,aid,111652,pg,3,00.asp

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Reinstalling Windows....I don't want to lose my files.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Reinstalling Windows....I don't want to lose my files.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
also
by DonGallego28 / February 25, 2005 2:48 PM PST

also i want to make it clear that i don't mind losing all my programs but i have important documents and files that i dont' want to lose....i just want to make sure that by using this method i won't lose those files in my documents

can someone explain to me how this installation process woudl work? im hesitant to do it until i get a response because i don't understand how i can completely lose all of my windows settings, drivers and program files but keep my documents....unless im wrong about how this process works.

Collapse -
one more point of clarification
by DonGallego28 / February 25, 2005 2:52 PM PST
In reply to: also

the files that i can't lose are located in my documents within the my pictures, my music and regular documents folders. i want to make absolutely sure that i will not lose all those files if i try this process out

Collapse -
Make a CD or DVD
by glb613 / February 25, 2005 8:15 PM PST

of the data you can't afford to loose. It is very easy. Open your CD/DVD burning software and select the folders and files you want to copy. DON'T depend on a certain type of reinstall to spare your information. Chances are, it will be lost or unaccessible once the process completes.

Collapse -
That should not be a problem....
by Papa Echo / February 25, 2005 10:11 PM PST

....if you backup your files regularly. "Backup" do not have to mean using a backup utility. It is simply making a copy(and testing to see if it works) to an external medium, like a CD.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.