Windows Legacy OS

General discussion

REINSTALLED WINDOWS.. LOST FILES

by LANCE0 / October 7, 2006 11:38 AM PDT

Hi there... I reinstalled windows XP home because of the blue sceen of death.. After I was able to reboot.. All my files are now MIA.. I know they still exist on the hard drive due to the space filled.. How can get to these.. HELP!!!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: REINSTALLED WINDOWS.. LOST FILES
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: REINSTALLED WINDOWS.. LOST FILES
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Back Up?
by Jherr201 / October 7, 2006 11:51 AM PDT

Did you back up your files to a CD or DVD before reinstalling the OS? When you reinstalled the OS, was it a raw install or were you attempting a repair?

Collapse -
REINSTALL...
by LANCE0 / October 7, 2006 12:52 PM PDT
In reply to: Back Up?

I wanted to get XP to stop giving me the screen of death.. Tried the repair with no luck... Reinstalled and poof.. nor more files...

Collapse -
Stop using that computer!
by John.Wilkinson / October 7, 2006 12:03 PM PDT

When you reinstall Windows you lose everything on that partition, be it programs or personal files. You may be able to recover the files using FreeUndelete or other file recovery software, but the more you use that hard drive the greater the chances of you overwriting those files and the less chance you have of ever getting those files back.

Good luck.
John

P.S. If you do get those files back make sure you back them up to prevent future loss.

Collapse -
reformat??
by LANCE0 / October 7, 2006 12:57 PM PDT

So.. time to suck it up and reformate the harddrive and start new... Sad

Collapse -
you should have USED XP REPAIR MODE
by ask4anu / October 7, 2006 5:37 PM PDT

BUT JOHN IS RIGHT your DATA is gone FOREVER next time use the disk and make it frist boot in your bios then boot disk like you would install a fresh copy once in where u can see the root dirve CHOOSE repair mode then all it does is wipes out the os files and put everything back like it was only the os files are all new any time you use the low level format feature(reinstall) in any windows os IT WIPES THE DRIVE SECTORS CLEAN and install a new copy of the os

Collapse -
(NT) RECOVERED
by LANCE0 / October 10, 2006 2:19 PM PDT

Good news... I've invested in a data recovery program. Active @ Undelete. I was able to retreive the files I needed with the help of this program. Easy to use... Well worth it..

thankx for all the info...

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) No problem
by ask4anu / October 13, 2006 4:51 AM PDT
In reply to: (NT) RECOVERED
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.