Windows Vista forum

Question

reinstalled Vista on HP IQ770 crashing with BSOD

by droccaforte / May 9, 2013 4:00 AM PDT

Recently I reformatted and reinstalled the OS on two HP IQ770 touchscreens. The computers were about 6 years old. We used them for trade show and they have very little use (maybe 200 hours) They were both having trouble upgrading so I received disks from Computer Surgeons (recommended by HP) to restore. Both computers now start Windows and function except when I try to access the internet. I can be connected to wifi no problem and get to MSN homepage, but if a try to access a site like Norton or Windows for updates both computers immediately crash with BSOD. There are no add-ons or anything connected to the USB.I would just like to get them functional to sell or donate them.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: reinstalled Vista on HP IQ770 crashing with BSOD
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: reinstalled Vista on HP IQ770 crashing with BSOD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
True.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 9, 2013 4:14 AM PDT

If you install just the OS, this does happen. It's nothing new to write about but if you don't use the OS as issued by HP, you get to chat with HP about how to install the OS and all the 20 drivers and apps. I'm not joking.

Here's an example discussion I keep handy.

Read -> http://forums.cnet.com/7726-7587_102-2699006.html

Bob

Collapse -
Thanks, but
by droccaforte / May 9, 2013 6:14 AM PDT
In reply to: True.

I did a factory restore with all programs and drivers.

Collapse -
Then it's sad news.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 9, 2013 8:44 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks, but

It's a sign there is something wrong with the machine. More clues please. As presented it sounded like the same old story. But now, let's hear why the OS was reloaded.
Bob

Collapse -
restored because
by droccaforte / May 9, 2013 10:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Then it's sad news.

The two machine were rarely used we would start them once a year and update them. Both machine were having trouble updating... after trying various times thought it better to start fresh. Just want to get them running updated and sell or donate them.

Collapse -
For donations we just wipe the drive.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 9, 2013 11:27 PM PDT
In reply to: restored because

It's no longer our problem. Sounds bad to some but it's a freebie so get it gone.

We had an IT staffer that would fret about this, and the key word is "had." They are no longer with us as they were not working on the company projects. Instead they were doing non-company related stuff like trying to fix a machine we were giving away.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.