Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Reinstall/repair Windows XP Pro instalation

by buco55 / June 24, 2007 9:31 PM PDT

I have an old Toshiba Tecra A1 laptop which came preinstaled with Windows XP Pro. I have done many reinstalations (wipe off the hard drive and install the factory image) with the included restore CD's.
But in this case I want only to repair the Windows installation.

I seem to have some strange problems with my registry as most of my programs are not functioning properly and report strange errors. Furthermore the list in Add/Remove Programs consists of many "subparts" of the programs that I have installed. And the strange part is that they cannot be removed.

Back to my question, as I don't have a Windows XP Cd but rather Factory Restore CD's, is there a possibility for me to borrow the original windows cd from a friend just to do the repair of my windows? Please note that I already have a license version of windows with a sticker attached to my laptop.

If this is not possible, is there any other way in which I can do a repair of my windows installation?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Reinstall/repair Windows XP Pro instalation
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Reinstall/repair Windows XP Pro instalation
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Contact the manufacturer
by MAG-ShadowLord / June 24, 2007 9:39 PM PDT

I had to repair my windows as well and did not have a windows disk but the recovery disks mentioned. My PC was a Dell though so your manufacturer might be different. I just contacted Dell and they sent me a Windows XP disk in days.
Good Luck,
Greeney

Collapse -
Some suggestions
by Dango517 / June 24, 2007 10:09 PM PDT

First, how's your maintenance? Defragmentation done recently? How about anti-virus? Do you have a maintenance program/optimizer? I would suggest Iolo, System Mechanic 7.

Second, have you reconsidered reinstalling some of the programs you've added instead? You could have some corrupted software running on your machine. These also would include Dial up/DSL drivers, Internet browsers, etc..

Are your hardware drivers up too date? These can be mostly up dated from: start>control panel>system>Hardware>device manager>open all>right click on each>up date driver>run wizard. If a driver is available a new one will be downloaded. All drivers "cannot" be updated this way. You may have to visit your hardware vendors web site and search for some. This is especially true with older computers were it is necessary to search for previous versions.

All of this is time consuming, of course. You'll have to weigh the time considerations of doing a this as opposed to a operating system reboot.

I don't believe you can pick and choose what parts of your OS that you can reinstall (I'll track this tread to see if I'm wrong).

I would get a lot more input before pulling the plug on your OS. Patience is needed here, stall, you may find a solution. Only reboot if you have too. I just did and it took 2 and one half days and I'm still not done. That's 12+ hour days by-the-way.

Collapse -
Registry problem maybe
by Dango517 / June 26, 2007 1:34 PM PDT
In reply to: Some suggestions

A number of free scans and programs are available on the net for registry repair and optimization. Do a search I'm sure you'll come up with some thing. Any suggestions out there?

Collapse -
If all you want to do is repair install
by lacsr / June 26, 2007 9:09 PM PDT
In reply to: Registry problem maybe

It may be possible to use a friends CD. Since there are more than one WindowsXP Pro version, it may not accept the version your friend has as a source. If your install is still working, let us know. There are ways to solve this, but you can always ask the manufacturer for the reinstall CD for XP ( depends on the manufacturer if you will get it)

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.