PC Applications forum

General discussion

Regzooka Fine print and business practice alert

by lvhawkeye / February 22, 2012 2:55 AM PST

Just a "heads up" for anyone considering Regzooka: I bought a license for Regzooka that was to cover 3 machines. (more about the performance of the product at the bottom) At the time of purchase, I also decided to try their "free" month of something they called Cyber backup. (never used it)

I've just noticed they have been charging me a monthly fee for this Cyberbackup utility for who knows how long. I called them, and their response was something along the lines of: "if you read the text at the bottom, it says that after your initial month, you will be charged a monthly subscription rate."

I think this is sneaky, and although they did consent to refund 2 months, their attitude was the "you need to pay closer attention to the fine print" type. Well, I've learned my lesson, and I hope to spare others from falling into the same barrel as me.

As far as the performance of Regzooka itself, I'm not sure what to think. It SAYS it's searching, and has found X amount of registry errors, and "Presto! at the click of a keystroke, they're all gone, and life is good!

In following up on some people's opinion that registry cleaners as a group are scams, I decided to try Glary Utilities and Iolo's System Mechanic, both of which do registry cleaning. At various times over the past several weeks, I periodically run Regzooka and "clean up" all my registry problems. Then I run Glary utilities, and that program finds X more registry errors, then Iolo then finds even more!

Now I'm no expert, but if Regzooka says that it has done a complete registry cleaning, and then 2 other programs come right behind and find 20-30-50 MORE errors, then something's fishy. And to be fair, I did these experiments in different orders, and the results were the same: After the first "cleaning", the other programs can still find and fix a bunch of "errors."

Does that mean they're all scams? <shrug>?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Regzooka Fine print and business practice alert
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Regzooka Fine print and business practice alert
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Your question
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 22, 2012 4:39 AM PST

"Does that mean they're all scams?"

Yes! Perhaps my use of Scams is a bit harsh. The problem is, how do these utilities know which registry entries are needed and which are not? The registry has hundreds of thousands of keys and values and a 'scan' does not tell us what the scan is. A scan of the registry? Or a scan of the applications that plant keys and values in to the registry?

If the utilities simply scan the registry, then what are they scanning for? Nil entries? 0 (zero) values? If so, damage can be done because many of these nil entries and 0 values might be required. How does the utility know?

If it scans applications, then the scan is going to take days and weeks and even then may fail. Registry entries are nearly always inserted during Setup, (eg the setup or install file that we 'run' to install the application). Those setup files are often discarded, or are on the CD that the software came on. So the scan will not catch everything. But even there, even if the scan searches through installed .exe files for registry action, then that needs de-compiling of the .exe files, and that is serious hard-core programming and scanning. It is like looking through an applications code for errors and this is something I had to do years ago when I did programming myself in simple BASIC language. Such files were typically only 2 or 3 Kb in size and troubleshooting would often take me weeks, even though I was the one who created the code anyway.

So I don't even begin to believe that such scanners are scanning applications for their relevant registry entries, then to dismiss those as proper so they make a note of the registry entries not assigned to any software.

Whatever method they use, (I discount some sort of internal database as that would probably take a computer processor with the capacity of Marvin to accommodate, (who had a brain the size of a planet) - Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy), they are going to get it wrong, and here's the rub; it only takes one change in the registry, one wrong deletion or value change to kill the OS stone dead.

So, may be not scams, as they may be well meaning. But utterly useless and all too often very dangerous.

The registry is itself just a database and as with all databases they are static. They don't do anything except hold data. So any unused or unwanted data is simply ignored. That might increase the size of the registry over time, but compared to other files on the hard drive the registry file is tiny and today's processors can whip through them in less than a blink of they eye.

Without being rude, I would say that I was a little surprised by your statement that, "In following up on some people's opinion that registry cleaners as a group are scams, I decided to try Glary Utilities and Iolo's System Mechanic".

I have to wonder why anyone who read all the problems and opinions would then download, install and try 2 other recognised 'never recommended' registry scanner/optimisers. So now you have 3, you are using all 3 one after the other, and they all report different results.

The regulars in these forums never recommend any utilities like these, so my own advice would be to uninstall all 3 and trust that no damage has been done.

You may get other, differing, advice of course.

Mark

Collapse -
Your Question
by lvhawkeye / February 22, 2012 7:26 AM PST
In reply to: Your question

I have to wonder why anyone who read all the problems and opinions would then download, install and try 2 other recognised 'never recommended' registry scanner/optimisers. So now you have 3, you are using all 3 one after the other, and they all report different results.

Fair question. (and no offense taken). I have to admit (hanging my head in shame) that I did not really read up on the topic until AFTER the fact. Before all of this started, I was checking out one of the "improve the speed of your computer" sites, and in reading reviews, decided not to go with it. "Can't remember the name) As part of that course of action, regzooka came up, and the reviews with it were pretty good, so I bought it and started using it. It LOOKED great!. After that, I upgraded my computer, and the utility that came with it was Glary. I bought the Iolo Mechanic software at Fry's, as it was basically free after the rebate, and I figured I didn't have anything to lose. I did that because of the other utilities with it. (registry cleaner was just one of it's advertised functions)

So, without any further cost, I had both Glary and Iolo, both of which had registry cleaner components. I did not use their registry cleaners at first, but when I had some trouble with Iolo's SW, I started reading up on it, and began to run across the opinions of some who believe that registry cleaners are scams, as I mentioned in the original message. This caused me to try Glary's and Iolo's registry cleaner functions in addition to regzooka, just to see what would happen.

I figure that I'm just one of the vast majority of folks out there who use computers a lot, but are somewhat ignorant as to HOW they do what they do. That makes us succeptable to advertisements of computer improvements and cure-alls that promise to keep our machines healthy and therefor make our lives a bit easier.
At any rate, I'm arguably wiser now, and was just putting my $.02 in hopes that I might help out somebody coming down the path behind me. If anyone decides to go with regzooka, PAY ATTENTION TO THE FINE PRINT AND HIDDEN COSTS!

Mike

Collapse -
You're right of course.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 22, 2012 8:53 PM PST
In reply to: Your Question

Firstly, many thanks for not taking offense.

You are right that so many computer users 'lack knowledge' about registry cleaners and optimizers. You mentioned the vast majority and sadly I agree with you. There is another discussion in these forums about RegZooka
here
and it's basically the same story. Interestingly there was a response there from someone saying he was the "President of Zookaware" the company who developed and distributes RegZooka themselves to apologise and to offer help. I'm guessing he found the thread after Googling for complaints against his software. He never replied to a post addressed to him.

I understand what you did and why and I am grateful that you haven't caused any lasting damage to your system.

The problems are;

1] Users do not know how to manage and housekeep their systems themselves. Not entirely surprising as many users nowadays simply want to turn a computer on and use it. They are not interested in learning more and why should they?

2] But then they see these classy advertising from these companies that promise to keep their systems fast and lean and solve 'all problems' and they are taken in.

3] Such utilities often offer a "Trial run" to scan their systems, find hundreds of so-called problems, then demand the user purchase the full software package to correct the problems. They then feel they must because of all the problems reported.

The plain truth is that we can, ourselves, do all of the maintenance and repair that these utilities say they can do, free of charge. It takes learning and confidence, but nothing these utilities do cannot be done by us.

Glad to see you have now joined the ranks of the 'aware'! Happy

Mark

Collapse -
See what I mean?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 23, 2012 5:31 AM PST
Collapse -
registry cleaners
by nmcdade / April 7, 2012 2:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Your question

great post, and very helpful; and I'm not even part of this thread. :))
thanks so much. I've downloaded registry cleaners a few times, but never knew which ones to delete.
Good thing I didn't mess things up..

Very informative. thanks! Happy

Collapse -
I have never reccomended any registry cleaner.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 22, 2012 4:49 AM PST
Bob
Collapse -
CyberBackup and other registry cleaners.
by ZookawareSupport / February 23, 2012 5:25 AM PST

We, at Zookaware apologize for any confusion but we do not have any small print within our site. When we offer you CyberBackup as a package saving that, you can see it in the cart before the purchase. You can also see it where you enter in your credit card information where it reminds you that it will be a $9.95 monthly charge after the 1st 30 days. We also send you numerous emails regarding the purchase. One of those emails contains a password for it along with any other serial numbers you made need to register your products. If there is any confusion on this we would be glad to offer additional help at anytime. We do stand behind our guarantee and this is why every penny is returned if a customer is not satisfied.

We understand there are tons of PC cleaner companies out there that take advantage of users by providing false positives, installing spyware on user's system and then are left in the dark with no support whatsoever. Those companies are now being investigated by the government and will soon be reprimanded for such business practices. Zookaware prides itself on how we test our product to ensure there are no false positives or anything that will destroy your registry. We stand by our product. We offer a 60 day money back guarantee on all our software. If there is ever a question that arises, you can call our technical support line. Our call center is open 24/6 to better serve our customer across the nation and world. We never want to charge someone for something they do not want or do not use. We are not looking to keep anyone's money if they did not use our product. If you have any other questions or require support on any of our products, please contact us at 800-290-9809 or email us at contact@zookaware.net. Thank you and have a great day.

-Zookaware Support

Collapse -
Regzooka Fine print and business practice alert
by lvhawkeye / February 23, 2012 12:20 PM PST

Your quote: We do stand behind our guarantee and this is why every penny is returned if a customer is not satisfied.

As I explained to 2 different "support" folks. I was/am NOT satisfied. Why? Because I NEVER used it. I didn't even know I had purchased it. I THOUGHT I was buying licenses for regzooka on 3 machines.

I mean really.... Your ads boast that I can back up all my data via cyberlink, , and it will (I guess) be kept by you and be guarded by you until such time I ever need it. If your company is as technologically advanced as you let on, it ought to take about 10 seconds to review my "account" and see that I never backed up a single byte of data at any time. This should prove to you that you have been collecting $9.99 cents a month from me for the past year in return for......? Nothing.

I explained myself quite clearly to the customer support folks I spoke with, and gave them the opportunity to make me happy and whole again. Their attitude was: A shrug with palms exposed... "That's our policy, and that's how we do business".

OK. I get it. Then from a fair play standpoint, you should have no trouble with MY policy, which is to warn potential customers against falling into this unaware, as I did. (I know, I know, I should have read more carefully)

So if you TRULY stand by your claim about refunding every penny if a customer is not satisfied, you'll be able to confirm that Zookaware has NEVER received any data uploaded from me via cyberlink. You can then refund my credit card, and I will in turn be pleased to tell the world that this whole thing was a misunderstanding, and that I am now a happy customer, and admire Zookaware for doing the right thing, and standing by their customer service claim. I will even delete my messages if it is in my power to do so. If you wish to discuss this away from this forum, you have my email address.

Collapse -
Fine print and business practice alert
by lvhawkeye / February 23, 2012 12:28 PM PST

My apologies, as I mis-spoke-typed when I said in the above message "I didn't even know I had purchased it." That is not correct, what I meant to say was "I thought I was buying regzooka licenses for 3 machines, and cyberlink was a free trial add on".

Collapse -
Refund
by ZookawareSupport / February 24, 2012 6:25 AM PST

We apologize about any miscommunication between us. We have checked your account and see you are passed our 60 day money back guarantee. However, we have been authorized to refund all your purchases. We do need to verify your information in order to complete this. If you can please contact us, we are open 24 hours 6 days a week. You can reach us at 800-290-9809. We appreciate the feedback. Thank you and have a great day.

Collapse -
by lvhawkeye / February 27, 2012 6:49 AM PST
In reply to: Refund

I called support again today, and was forwarded to Matt. Matt said he read the notation on my account, and said he was authorized to refund 6 months in addition to the initial 2 months, for a total of 8. This is short of the year-plus that I have been paying monthly, however, since I bear some responsibility for not reading as carefully as I should have, I agreed to accept this offer. Matt told me that I should expect the refund within 3-5 days. When that refund actually comes through, I will follow up on my promise. Thank you for your response.

Collapse -
by lvhawkeye / March 20, 2012 9:40 AM PDT

As of 3-19-12, Zookaware has refunded 8 months of monthly payments as we had agreed.

I DO admire Zookaware for stepping up and staying true to their claim of refunding "every penny" if a customer is not satisfied. It wasn't a case of me being unsatisfied with the performance of their product. Their Cyber backup utility just may be the greatest thing since sliced bread. I just never used it. The dispute came about due to a mutual misunderstanding, and as I said above, it has been resolved to my satisfaction.

Thank you Zookaware.

Collapse -
That's great.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 20, 2012 10:27 PM PDT

Thank you for letting us know, and Thumbs Up to Zookaware for getting it sorted.

Mark

Collapse -
Brill.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 24, 2012 8:54 PM PST

A result, perhaps?

Mark

Collapse -
Regzooka slick sales ploy for cyberbackup
by zookedcustomer / April 4, 2012 3:35 AM PDT

After purchasing regzooka I did not notice any dramatic changes on my pc, maybe a little quicker maybe not. No problems with the software but after getting a couple of card statements I noticed continued payments for cyberbackup, something I did not want and was unaware of purchasing and hadn't downloaded.

Turns out the free cyberbackup, which is added to your order by defaut, is only free until they start taking your money month by month.

I emailed regzooka on 15th March 2012 to cancel cyberbackup and regzooka subscriptions and asked for a refund of cyberbackup payments. I got an automated response and I am still waiting for a proper response.

If anyone from Zookaware can help my order number was 140859

Kind of looks like Regzooka are quick to respond to public complaints but happy to ignore direct complaints.

Collapse -
Regzooka responded.
by zookedcustomer / April 7, 2012 5:15 AM PDT

Regzooka have been in touch.
They said they were not aware of my previous email although it was sent to the same address as they have used in the recent correspondance and I received an auto reply on sending ???

They have, however, refunded the cyberbackup subscriptions(haven't checked my card statement yet) and apologised for the failure to respond to the first email.

Thanks to regzooka for sorting things out.

Collapse -
Nice work
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 7, 2012 5:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Regzooka responded.

and thanks for letting us know.

An amazing coincidence, you post here and within a few days you get a response to your email, and a refund!

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.