PC Applications

General discussion

Registry "repair" program?

by dime21 / August 21, 2004 2:07 AM PDT

Any good free registry repair programs out there to clean out all the "gunk" that may be crashing my MIE?
I have Norton 2001 Utilities but have heard there are problems that arise from it's use, so am bit nervous about installing it. Any suggestions, or is Norton okay?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Registry "repair" program?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Registry "repair" program?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Registry "repair" program?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 21, 2004 2:42 AM PDT

I've rarely found such junk to cause the crash. Today, here and now the majority of the crashes are simply caused by PARASITES. The use of Spybot, Adaware, Cwshredder and Housecall finds and removes most.

Exclusive use of Internet Explorer lets most pests in.

Bob

Collapse -
by dime21 / August 21, 2004 9:48 AM PDT

SPybot didn't fix the problem, though I did clean and immunize. It only happens with MIE, so far firefox is okay but it is slower than MIE.

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 21, 2004 10:05 AM PDT

I don't expect Spybot alone to find the issue and cure it. We also have Adaware, BHODEMON and other items to try.

Since it's IE that is at issue, then registry cleaning is unlikely to help.

Bob

Collapse -
I've been using Easy Cleaner without any problems.
by gklein / September 10, 2004 11:19 AM PDT
Collapse -
by mido75 / September 13, 2004 1:43 PM PDT

I would stay away from NORTON period .
serach and destory is good tool to clean your registry and you can keep track with the changes and you can undo it at time .

Collapse -
Norton SysWks and AV 2002 ...
by caktus / October 24, 2004 2:43 PM PDT

seems to have been working great for me for 2 yrs now. Especially with Clean Sweep-Smart Sweep-Internet Sweep active and on startup. And I use ME (appearantly very unstable OS) But I don't use the Norton System Doctor as it sucks System Resources and causes system crawl.

I often read of problems with Norton 2001,2003,2004 anything. So I stay with NSW 2002 with Spybot S&D only, as any other Sys Works/Utilities seem to conflict. Mabe it's just version related (or mabe I'm just lucky)

Collapse -
Re: Norton SysWks and AV 2002 ...
by reciter / October 31, 2004 1:54 AM PDT

Hi, Interesting that you do not use System Doctor, I was wondering why my version didn't install. I have 2005, my Optimization Wizard also didn't install and I can't figure out how to get it to install.
I have no luck trying to use the symantec help pages. They don't even seem to be up to date. How do you feel about them?

Collapse -
by DToyGal / September 16, 2004 2:55 AM PDT

I bought registry mechanic, seems to work just fine for me. they have a free version, but you cant clean the registry without buying the program. the free version just shows you how many errors there are in the registry. hope this helps =)

Collapse -
Re: Registry
by Echo2 / October 22, 2004 10:09 AM PDT

I think there are two levels of registry cleaner.The first is the "hands off" variety which do the work for you and do not allow you to interact with them. The "hands off" variety is the safest to use as these utilities seldom if ever correct any but the most obvious errors in the registry. They do not require or allow for any further digging or analysis on the part of the user. This kind of utility scans,then displays the errors then fixes them, usually by simply deleting the invalid entries. Some of these utilities scan your C drive for corrections as they scan,some do not,at least not by default. Of these scanners I recommend Tweak Now RegCleaner and Registry Mechanic. Both are excellent entry level registry cleaners,especially TweakNow which has settings options for more advanced users.TweakNow is also free for non-commercial use.

The second level Registry cleaner allows for more comprehensive user adjusted scans. These utilities are potentially dangerous for all but the most advanced users. They require that the user be very familiar with Windows processes and registry. A greater degree of caution is required when selecting the "fix problems" options at the end of each scan.
Of these I have found System Mechanic's registry cleaner most problematic. It identifies entries that other reg utilities do not. I have found leaving these entries does not affect system performance. Half the time when you actually do select the "fix" option, a warning appears regarding deletion of the entry. I have checked the "help file " but found very little guidance as to which registry entries are safe to delete.
I much prefer Registry First Aid which allows for comprehensive scanning and provides many options for each entry or string found after each scan. From its interface you can select to go to the net to look up the entry or you may choose to go straight to the key in regedit. The corrections sometimes include rerouting the entry back to its parent application, a feature which I find logical and rare. I get best results running Registry First Aid in safe mode.
I also like its "leave entry without change" option which I find useful and most thoughtful on the part of the developer as not all inconsistent registry entries shoud be removed.

Collapse -
registry tools
by wsemerald / November 15, 2009 4:01 PM PST

registry tools like registry cleaner and Registry Optimizer have the function of fixing registry errors. But they cannot repair programs.

Collapse -
Registry Mechanic
by charlotte260 / November 15, 2009 6:53 PM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.