Computer Newbies

General discussion

Registry cleaners

by tomron / April 10, 2006 12:47 PM PDT

I read that using registry cleaners damage the registry,or is it when the reg cleaner is used too much

Is there any validity to this statement.

Thanx,
Tom

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Registry cleaners
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Registry cleaners
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
My experience...
by Willy / April 10, 2006 11:30 PM PDT
In reply to: Registry cleaners

I've used registry cleaners in thier "default install mode" and overall they've always done well. Once, you start diddling with setting and such and become too aggressive in cleaning then you get into trouble. Plus, if the system is already corrupt or barely hanging on before any cleaning, its best to try to resolve any issues before doing the registry cleaning. So run any AV or spyware pgms. first and other corrections before attempting registry cleaning then proceed on. Once done, then sparingly use the cleaner very little after that.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
registry cleaner
by jjob / April 13, 2006 9:05 AM PDT

Tom
Using Registry Cleaner will not damage you PC or registry. I use it all the time on a dell, I HIGHLY recommend it
John o

Collapse -
Re: registry cleaner
by caebrasil / April 18, 2006 12:44 PM PDT
In reply to: registry cleaner

When you un-install software/hardware from your PC, dead 'Keys' or 'Values' sometimes get left behind, this is where your Registry Cleaner works at it's best.

I perform a thorough clean at the end of each month regardless of installing or un-installing software etc.

Don't go mad at it, once every 2 weeks or monthly should be sufficient.

Starman

Collapse -
Advanced System Optimizer
by VAPCMD / April 18, 2006 2:04 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: registry cleaner
Collapse -
How to remove Advanced Registry Optimizer
by redraider59 / December 22, 2007 12:56 AM PST

Downloaded the free version, do not want to buy it. Uninstall, delete, etc; nothing works to get this program completely off my computer. Really tired of the "come-on" advertising that keeps coming up. Can anybody help?

Collapse -
Might try starting here . .
by VAPCMD / December 22, 2007 1:14 AM PST
Collapse -
Registry Cleaners
by Jacob344 / November 19, 2012 7:43 PM PST

I have been using registry cleaners for couple of years. Registry Cleaners are working very fine on my PC.They maintain my computer performance very well.
There are misconceptions that registry cleaners damage your system.Safe registry cleaners does not damage your PC.

Collapse -
Re: registry cleaners
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 19, 2012 7:56 PM PST
In reply to: Registry Cleaners

Did you ever check if using a registry cleaner made any difference in the performance of your PC?
What operations were better? How much better?

Kees

Collapse -
re: Registry Cleaners
by Lucdias / November 29, 2012 6:44 PM PST
In reply to: Registry Cleaners

My first experience with registry cleaners proved fatal. Instead of speeding up Windows I faced the first experience of reinstalling OS Happy

It was Windows 98 age... But it is possible that current cleaners without such drawbacks.

Collapse -
registry cleaner
by monteyd / November 29, 2012 7:22 PM PST
In reply to: re: Registry Cleaners

haha) recognize me in your post) Yes, at first afraid to make any move, and then registry cleaner become indispensable tool to me

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.