Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Regcure

by domogirl / January 27, 2007 10:04 AM PST

I am using Windows XP Professional. I have an HP L1906 computer. It is running VERY slowly. On Google I saw a link to Regcure. It claimed to enable your computer to run better and had a free download. I downloaded the free software and it ran a scan for me. It claimed I have 80 plus errors on my Registry. I needed to download and purchase the full software to fix my problems. I "chickened out" and did not download the software. I would be glad to purchase the software it is indeed legitimate and worth the money. Do you know anything about it? I was originally trying to find out how to delete cookies. I'd really appreciate help. Domogirl

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Regcure
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Regcure
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Save your money.
by caktus / January 27, 2007 8:05 PM PST
In reply to: Regcure

Try RegSeeker It's free, safe, and probably much better. Also clean up the Temp files or use CCleaner to clean them up for you.

Also run Anti-virus and Spyware scans as well as the Windows Defrag tool.

Also download and run the DMA Quick solution

Hope this is helpful.

Charlie

Collapse -
Debating on what to delete or not delete
by ltnsmrt / July 10, 2007 9:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Save your money.

Hey guys,
I've been reading the posts, and I have the ccleaner & regcleaner, but do not know if is safe to delete files, even if the program have them checked =/... ok, I'm a chicken. My pc is a little bit slow and I know I have to the registry thing (which have no idea what it is), but I'm afraid I could do something irreversible wrong. I'm not very computer literate, and do not recognize files that should not be deleted. I have had this two programs for quite sometime now, but have not used them because of my lack of knowledge :o((.
Anything you can say to help me here, will be very much appreciated. I did not know about this forum, but now that I know, you guys will see me more often... I need imput! More knowledge! Another question... I have a speed defragmentation program called SpeeDefrag... is it any good? I have used it a few times to defrag my pc, and it does everything by itself.
Thanks a bunch!
God Bless,
Haydee

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002 Service Pack 2
Dell Dimension DIM2400 Intel Pentium 4 CPU 2.53GHz 512 MB of RAM
31.3GB used space 43.0 free space

Collapse -
Debating on What to Delete or Not
by sbstrum / February 3, 2008 2:52 AM PST

I agree that this is an intimidating decision. I use Registry Mechanic which can be configured through "preferences" to automatically create a RESTORE POINT prior to accepting changes. If you run into a problem with your computer's operations once you have accepted changes to your Registry you can always restore the registry back to before you accepted the changes. In fact, the creation of a restore point is a smart move befoe any installation or use of a program that is new to your computer.

Stephen B. Strum

Collapse -
Actually - not true
by veganess / April 12, 2008 8:47 AM PDT

RegBooster is no different than RegSeeker. A small amount of errors are removed, but you have to pay for it if you want the whole kit and kaboodle cleaned up, just like RegSeeker does. Don't waste your time.

Collapse -
DMA Quick Solution
by Budhogan / May 6, 2008 5:03 AM PDT

Thanks so much for RegSeeker. I also wanted DMA Quick SOultions but when I click on "Here" I just get a text page telling about the program. Can't seen to find where to down load program or don't know what I am looking for.

Rinning Windows XP
budsrefuge@aol.com

Thanks again

Collapse -
(NT) I agree with Charlie,don't fall for those scams
by tomron / January 27, 2007 8:58 PM PST
Collapse -
regcure
by domogirl / January 29, 2007 10:25 AM PST

I have been struggling with this problem for 3 or 4 hours, so please bear with me. I asked about Regcure, but as I was leaving Cnet forums, I happened upon a CNet page that listed RegistrySmart as the best of 5 different programs. So, I downloaded it. I ran it and it said it fixed 13 problems. Then, following advice from the forum, I defragmented, ran the scandisk
program, downloaded CCleaner and ran that. Then went to Search, typed in .tmp and there were 439 files there. Deleted all that I could, but got the message, "Cannot delete files. Cannot read from the source file or disk" on several of them. Also typed in Cookies and deleted all that I could except for the ones that gave me the same message. Why didn't CClean delete these files? The computer is a little bit faster, but not as good as it once was. Internet Express (7) is the really slow problem. What else can I try? Also, I get this message when I boot up the computer - "Application Failed to Initialize:OX800106ba, A problem caused Windows Defender Service to stop. To start the service, Restart Your computer or Search Help and Support on How to Start a Service Manually". Restarting did not solve the problem. I'm at a loss to try to figure out the Manual route. What exactly does Windows Defender do and is it necessary? I really appreciate the help you have given me so far. Thank you domogirl

Collapse -
domogirl
by tomron / January 29, 2007 11:24 AM PST
In reply to: regcure

"I really appreciate the help you have given me so far."Are you sure that you don't mean Charlie,after all he is the one that helped you.

"Cannot delete files. Cannot read from the source file or disk",try this LINK for instructions.

IE 7 has many known issues,either go back to IE 6,or try another browser.I use FIREFOX

As far as Windows Defender goes it may be corrupt,maybe uninstall it,then reinstall.I personally don't care for anything from MS.Clic k on my user name and check out the programs that I use,and yes,there all freebies.

One more note about reg cleaners,be sure to back up before you delete anything.

Tom

Collapse -
Regcure
by domogirl / January 31, 2007 4:57 AM PST
In reply to: domogirl

I'd like to follow Tom's advice and change IE7. I'm fine with going to Foxfire if you can tell me how to do this. If I get Foxfire, do I uninstall IE7? If it would be easier to go back to IE6, how do I do that? domogirl

Collapse -
domogirl
by tomron / January 31, 2007 5:16 AM PST

I gave you the link for firefox in my first post,just click on FIREFOX.

If you want to go back to IE 6 then go to add/remove IE 7 in add remove,but you don't have to.Just a heads up,some people had problems trying to uninstall IE 7,if you search these forums you will see.

Or leave IE 7 and install FF and see what happens.

Tom

Collapse -
Regcure
by domogirl / January 31, 2007 10:16 AM PST
In reply to: domogirl

Sorry. I didn't realize that was a link to Firefox. I installed Firefox and chose it for my regular browser. I didn't do anything with IE7. Just left it alone for now. I can get TO a website fairly quickly, but once I get there I can't get to the page I want or it takes about a minute to change the page. I think I'll have to cry "Uncle" and take it in to the computer guys who sold us the computer to see what is wrong. I do appreciate all your help. domogirl

Collapse -
Regcure and other questionable registry cleaners
by alfzay / April 26, 2008 12:28 PM PDT

Rather than taking a chance, why not use (or buy) registry cleaning programs from Macecraft Software.

They allow you 30-day FREE trial of a fully working program. That's how I verified how effective their
programs are. And for the price, they are one (if not THE) best value around.

Just Google 'Macecraft Software' and you'll see what they have to offer.

Collapse -
Windows Defender Service
by caktus / January 29, 2007 4:50 PM PST

This may clear up the error problem. If not, then no harm done. Register the following files:

Go to > Start > Run > type or copy and past "regsvr32 wuapi.dll" (w/o the quotes) and click OK > OK.

Follow the same procedure to register the following files one at a time:
wuaueng.dl
wucltui.dll,
wups.dl
wuweb.dll
atl.dll
regsvr32 Softpub.dll
Wintrust.dll
Initpki.dll
Mssip32.dll

It seems many configurations have compatibility issues with Windows Defender. As far as I know the original Beta versions of Window defender became unusable after Dec 31, 2006. Where this is the problem downloading and installing the latest version sometimes fixes the problem. The latest version is at http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=435BFCE7-DA2B-4A6A-AFA4-F7F14E605A0D&displaylang=en

I think you must first remove the older version. Go to http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/about/faq.mspx#EJAAC for removal instructions.

It seems that more often than not it is better to just remove Windows Defender and leave it at that. Removing it and leaving it at that was best for me too.

Hope this is helpful.

Charlie

Collapse -
Regcure
by domogirl / January 30, 2007 11:04 AM PST

Charlie, I believe Tom was right. Due to my ignorance about how this forum works, I didn't properly thank you. I certainly did not mean to do that.

Thank you for all the help you have given me. I think I will just remove windows defender. It will probably save me more grief and since I don't know what it is, I will not miss it. (At least I hope not.) Any more suggestions on how to speed things up when I go on the Internet? Domogirl

Collapse -
speed
by caktus / January 30, 2007 3:39 PM PST

Short of the [unforeseen] which does happen, just doing the things mentioned here in this thread about once a week should be plenty enough in most cases.

As for windows defender it just doesn't seem to work out for a lot of folks. I think MS tends to tout it as the best. But no one spyware scanner can ever catch everything. The best anti-spyware scanner I've found is the free version of AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5 formerly Ewido.

Collapse -
RegCure
by murlynn / May 17, 2007 5:07 AM PDT
In reply to: speed

Too bad I didn't see these and other posts before I bought it and ran it... Duh... I cannot boot into win xp64 any more... message I get on the blue screen of death is 'an application has failed to start because winsrv was not found' then promptly loops to reboot...
No response from RegCure in 6 hours

Collapse -
I use RegCure all the time...
by weAponX / June 21, 2007 5:04 AM PDT
In reply to: RegCure

It works great for Vista UE- And it is probably safer to use to Vista OS's which can be repaired using the install DVD.

XP x64, which I used to have in another box, I still have the hard drive with the OS on it... I had a similar thing happen, but RegCure did not cause it.

XP x64 can be repaired by fixing the Master Boot Record (FixMBR.exe) and also the FixBoot.exe - you can get to these by booting off the install disk and hitting the first R (not the second R) - This will boot you into a "DOS" that will allow you to run the FixMBR program.

Now with me, that did not fix me, cos basically, I was cheating, I had a 120 day x64 and I removed the time bomb, and so, the installation cannot be repaired, cos the install disk tries to set the time bomb and when that fails, I get Setudd.sys failure. c heck this out:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330181

It explains that particular problem, it may fix you.

Anyway, the thing I do NOT like about RegCure is that it tried to communicate with some external server. I worked hard and I found the process that was doing this, and I shut it off. If anyone does but RegCure... DO NOT Allow Updates- And you have to set your firewall to block process that use "autoupdate.dll" and "RegCure.exe" - You can use a command window and type NETSTAT -ABN. You will also have to have Task Manager open and you have to go to the "Select Columns" setting under Processes and tell it to show PID - Process Identifier numbers. This way, when NETSTAT tells you the PID of the process that is connecting to the RegCure IP Address (and you simply have to do the work and check each IP address listed in Netstat for RegCure ownership) - And once you block out the IP that is accessing RegCure (The NETRANGE is 72.3.128.0 to 72.3.255.255) - then RegCure is pretty safe to use and a good tool, just a little bit better than cCleaner for those excess registry entries.

The first time you use it: Look over each item that is being dealt with carefully (and that could take a while- But you gotta do it)-

Remember, if you can get into Safe Mode with your x64: You can open RegCure and undo the last thing the program did.

Collapse -
NETSTAT command
by chandken / September 19, 2007 9:22 PM PDT

The solution MURLYNN gives seems to be the best one to remove Regcure. I tried to use it and found that the NETSTAT command given has to be written like:
netstat -a -b -v
Even a better way to do it is to send the results to a file like this:
netstat -a -b -v >nslisting.txt
where the nslisting.txt is the file to which the results would be written.
My file was under my profile like here:
C:\Documents and Settings\[my user name]

Collapse -
about regcure
by gyps / September 28, 2007 1:20 PM PDT

Am at the screen to either purchase or not the RegCure program. I cleaned the free fixes but have huge amount to "fix" that must be done by purchased program.
Reading the forum it seems this program I am going to have to set which programs for ??? or it will do what ?? lock my computer up? block the site? I had a program one time and it ended up locking me out of computer and was a mess. I don't know a whole lot about settings unless they are by name, but if by IPs or some other way then I'm lost.
Any help? I was about to go buy me a new computer mine was acting so bad here. Thanks

HP pc

Collapse -
Regcure No More
by irish-bob / July 5, 2007 7:34 AM PDT

For those of you out there in computer land that purchased, used, and are happy with RegCure, my hat - if I had one - is off to you. For those, like myself, who read all the hype, purchased the darn thing, and are unhappy, I have only one thing to say. May join the club? Let me tell you what happened when I fell pry to RegCure's bloody fangs. I downloaded the free software and ran a scan. It found several errors. My system - Windows XP with IP6 - was running slower than my grandmother, and she's been dead for 40 years. Anyway, to fix all the problems, I had to - everyone together, now - purchase the entire product. Thinking it would be great for my system as well as my daughter's, I bite the bullet and purchased it. I then downloaded the entire software, ran another scan, and fixed the problems. Or so I thought. I shut down the computer and ran off into the sunset laughing like a 10 year-old school girl. When I turned the computer back on, my problems started. The windows installer began running an installation. It stopped on something called InstantShare and said I needed to install and run the CD. After looking through everything I had, I found it in my HP Photosmart package. I inserted the CD. No help. It continued saying to insert the CD. It also hung up my system for two hours. I went to RegCure's website for help. HA! To get support help, I needed to register. No problem! Right? Wrong! After registering, a message popped up saying I was "Not Allowed." Next up, I went to my provider and sent an email to RegCure's support and sales. Support came back and said I needed to remove the Photosmart program and reinstall it. I sent back and told them I could not so this as I has hundreds of photos there. I asked them what I could do. I have yet to get an answer. What I finally did was to call my credit card company and cancel the purchase. I also went back to the web and finally came up with an address and phone number for ClickBank, the bank used for the purchase. I called the number and discovered it was someone's home in Boise, ID. The bottom line is I removed RegCure and will never use it again. I caution anyone else thinking about trying this product to think about it hard. Wish I had.

Collapse -
Unfortunate Coincidence
by Averylp / September 7, 2007 3:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Regcure No More

Hey Irish-Bob, I happened to be lucky enough to do a Google search on the legitimacy of RegCure before I even opened the .exe file, so thanks for your straightforward review. Funny enough, or sadly enough, the reason I even went looking for a registry cleaner is because my laptop has the same problem with the instant share installation error that your computer ended up with. I'm hoping you could let me know any resolutions you have come upon. I'm stumped.

Collapse -
I ALSO WAS CHEATED BY REGCURE BY PARETOLOGIC
by ABCDEFGHIJLKMNOPQRSTUVWXY / September 9, 2008 9:21 AM PDT
In reply to: Regcure No More

I HAVE TO SAY THAT AT LEAST YOU DID RECEIVE A FULL VERSION TO PLAY WITH... I JUST RECEIVED TRIAL VERSION WITH NO FUNCTION AT ALL WHEN I PAID FOR THE DARN THING!

REGCURE IS A SCAM. Paypal is the accomplist in supporting their scam.

I just purchased Reg cure for $18.99 thru CompUSA, which in turn channel the sale thru tigerdirect.com. Upon receiving the link, the downloaded program was the free version which has no function at all. I tried disputing thru Paypal, however the verdict was that Paypal will not help you recover fund when the product is "less" than described; only shipped wrong product or no shipment of product is refunded. Frankly I don't understand the idiotic logic in this... if something useless was sent to me, that should categorized to be the same as not sending me any product at all.
BUYERS BEWARE OF REGCURE USING THIS LOOPHOLE TO SCAM PEOPLE!! BY THE WAY, REGCURE DID NOT RESPOND TO ANY EMAIL, NOR DO THEY HAVE A PHONE # FOR CONTACT. DON'T BUY FROM MERCHANT THAT HIDES THEMSELVES!!!

Collapse -
Reg Cure ~ I too was suspicious
by skilfulsailing / September 4, 2008 8:34 PM PDT

I have only just joined this "forum" and this reply might not appear where it should. For that I apoligise.

Someone suggested the MACECRAFT cleaner. I have used it, then I very quickly bought it. It is called JV16 PowerTools (2008) and it is a great toy. It has all the things an (ignorant!) fiddler wants!

You can quite safely just use the basic registry cleaner but it has a feast of other toys too.

It is set up always to make backups ready for the inevitable operator errors! I particularly like the suite of file tools too.

Sid

Collapse -
regcure uninstall
by 4brettfavre / October 5, 2007 10:21 AM PDT

I have been having computer trouble, everything is so slow. I download the regcure and did the free scan and it said I had 2030 problems it only cleaned 4. I have been trying to uninstall the program and it will not do it. I went to add and remove programs and tried and also to program list. What can I do to get rid of this program? I use a Dell Dimension 2400. Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition 2002 Service Pack 2. Intel(R)Pentium (R) 4 CPU 240 GHz 2.39 GHz 768 MB of Ram....not sure if you need all that info but I am a new user to the computer and don't know to much about it. I also use SecureIT Services and AVG for my computer protection. Thanks for any info you can give me.

Collapse -
RegCure is a disaster waiting
by leopmahon / February 12, 2008 10:07 PM PST

I bought the serial and RegCure worked once. It then asked for the serial supplied. It was rejected. Eventually support sent me a new serial. Again, it worked once and rhen rejected serial. Support sent a new serial again. Worked once and the failed. This went on and eventually I gave up. Don't buy RegCure if you don't want blood pressure!

Collapse -
REGCURE IS A SCAM. PAYPAL SUCKS
by ABCDEFGHIJLKMNOPQRSTUVWXY / September 9, 2008 8:53 AM PDT

REGCURE IS A SCAM. Paypal is the accomplist in supporting their scam.

I just purchased Reg cure for $18.99 thru CompUSA, which in turn channel the sale thru tigerdirect.com. Upon receiving the link, the downloaded program was the free version which has no function at all. I tried disputing thru Paypal, however the verdict was that Paypal will not help you recover fund when the product is "less" than described; only shipped wrong product or no shipment of product is refunded. Frankly I don't understand the idiotic logic in this... if something useless was sent to me, that should categorized to be the same as not sending me any product at all.
BUYERS BEWARE OF REGCURE USING THIS LOOPHOLE TO SCAM PEOPLE!! BY THE WAY, REGCURE DID NOT RESPOND TO ANY EMAIL, NOR DO THEY HAVE A PHONE # FOR CONTACT. DON'T BUY FROM MERCHANT THAT HIDES THEMSELVES!!!

Collapse -
Virus Bug associated with RegCure
by Lloyd_Hayes / July 22, 2007 1:11 AM PDT

I purchased RegCure last Winter. It does a good job. But there was also spyware located in some of the program modules. These modules could be disabled and were no problem.

However, I just now updated the program. My Anti-Virus software immediately locked the program out entirely screaming that the new update was a virus. "APPL/RegCure.A"

Currently the program is un-usable.

Lloyd

Collapse -
RegCure
by yamkin / July 25, 2007 9:35 AM PDT

Regcure really looks classy on the outside, but it finds loads of errors to begin with and when you re-boot and run Regcure afterwards, you get load more errors. Very strange as Regcure was meant to have fixed the errors beforehand.

I then ran another registry program called Registry Boost from Uniblue. I also ran SpeedUpMyPC3 also from Uniblue, and guess what, among other errors, it found load of Regcure errors too.

My pc is running much better now after using Unblue's programs instead.

Collapse -
RegCure by Paretologic
by Pareto Rep / July 30, 2007 6:13 AM PDT

Thank you for all the input and feedback on RegCure. I can assure you that it is not our intent to cause you frustration.

We use a secure and well established company, Clickbank, for our transactions.

The software scanner is free for checking whether or not you have errors. This saves people from further concern if their PCs are not affected. For those who do have errors we offer the opportunity to purchase a fully constructed cleaning tool. We hear from many consumers that the free scan functionality is a much appreciated service.

The offer of the free scan is a public service. You are free to choose another cleaning tool from any source you wish.
We believe our product offers a genuine service and benefit that improves the performance of the personal computer.

Every computer is different so it is impossible for us to give exact information on the issues mentioned in this thread without knowing the originating systems.

Registry items listed on the error list can be invalid when associated with non-existing folders or files. However, some entries may be valid. It is recommended that you only remove items that you know are invalid.

RegCure is one of the safest removal tools on the market and it is rare that it will remove something that a user requires but it can happen. RegCure does create a backup and restores easily if something is found to be awry after a cleaning.

I can also assure you that there are no hidden spyware or adware modules in any of our products. We dedicate a great deal of time and effort into assisting our clients in removing adware, spyware and malware and would never infect anyone's machine.

? Established in 2004, ParetoLogic is a member in good standing with the Better Business Bureau
? ParetoLogic and its CEO have been the recipient of several awards including Entrepreneur of the Year, Emerging Technology Company of the Year, and Innovative Excellence
? ParetoLogic currently has seven products on the market, several of which have received public acclaim and awards
? ParetoLogic products are available in eight languages in seventy countries around the world
? ParetoLogic offers a 60 day money back guarantee on all of its products
? ParetoLogic has a dedicated Customer Support Team. Their genuine desire to help people out often results in them helping customers with general computer use and maintenance issues and has garnered ParetoLogic a large number of loyal customers.

If you have purchased any Paretologic product and are experiencing difficulties, please do not hesitate to contact our Customer Support Department by sending an email to helpdesk@paretologic.com Our highly skilled Technical Team will be delighted to assist you with your inquiries and concerns.

We look forward to the opportunity to be of service to you.

Kindest Regards
Laura
Paretologic Liaison

Collapse -
RegCure is targeted by my spyware and virus software
by Lloyd_Hayes / July 31, 2007 8:17 AM PDT
In reply to: RegCure by Paretologic

In the past, various spyware sniffing programs on my computer has pointed to the RegCure modules. Utilizing my firewall, I was able to restrict Internet access to these modules.

However, the last time that I updated the RegCure software, it resulted in my Virus software pointing to the main RegCure program as a Trojan (I think). I removed RegCure from my computer right after this alert.

I will grant that RegCure does a good job of maintaining a computer.
However, I also believe that it does so at the expense of the program also being spyware itself, and then upgrading RegCure.exe to a required system file. It sounds like pure marketing to me...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.