Computer Help forum

General discussion

RegCleaner

by lktgdt / April 3, 2005 3:38 AM PDT

When I opened my Regcleaner today there was something called ASProtect and SpecData. Does anyone know what this is and what I should do about it? Thanks!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: RegCleaner
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: RegCleaner
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
From CNET Downloads
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 3, 2005 4:23 AM PDT
In reply to: RegCleaner
ASProtect

Software Publisher's Description

ASProtect is the system of software protection of applications, designed for quick implementation of application protection functions, especially targeted for software developers. ASProtect is designed for such specific tasks as working with registration keys and creation of evaluation and trial application versions.

ASProtect features: compression of the application; encryption of the application; counteraction to dumping application memory with the tool like ProcDump; application integrity check; counteraction to debuggers and disassemblers; counteraction to memory patching; API for interaction between application and protection routines; creation and verification of registration keys using public keys encryption algorithms; keeping of the database and checkup of 'stolen' (illegal) registration keys; possibility to create evaluation (trial) versions, that limit application functions based on evaluation time and the number of runs left; expose nag-screens; generating of registration keys, based on the specific computer system.

Does this ring any bells with you? Anything similar on your system that you've downloaded and installed perhaps?

But eTrust Spyware Encyclopedia suggests this is a spyware tool for developing spyware, http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/pest/pest.aspx?id=59717

Google found no entries for SpecData as you typed it. It did suggest Spec Data, and list some entries, but I have no way of knowing if this is the same as you have seen.

Mark
Collapse -
RegCleaner
by lktgdt / April 3, 2005 4:44 AM PDT
In reply to: From CNET Downloads

Thank you,Mark. In RegCleaner, the Author was ASProtect and the software was SpecData, to be more specific. Haven't downloaded recently that comes to mind. Maybe if it is a pest,I should delete? Thanks again!

Collapse -
Yes
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 3, 2005 10:05 PM PDT
In reply to: RegCleaner

RegCleaner makes a backup of any registry entries you delete in case there are any problems with it.

But just in case, make a backup yourself first and store it on the root direcctory of the C drive temporarily. That way, if you do need to restore the registry, it is easily available.

To make a backup. Goto Start > Run and type in "regedit", (without the quotes), click OK.

When the registry editor opens, make sure that "My Computer" is highlighted, then goto File > Export, and save the file to your C drive. Make sure the option under Export Range is set to All.

Mark

Collapse -
RegCleaner
by lktgdt / April 4, 2005 3:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes

Thank you, Mark!

Collapse -
RegCleaner
by lktgdt / April 4, 2005 3:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes

After I do this, do I have to go back into regedit again? ( After deleting ASProtect/SpecData)

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.