Android forum

Question

Regarding Ecosystems... (Google and Amazon specifically)

by LowLevel0wl / February 18, 2013 5:27 PM PST

Hello Everyone! First of all, thanks for taking the time to read my question. Pretty soon, I'll be buying a tablet. I know this tablet will be my media/entertainment machine (ie. Books, movies, TV shows, music to some extent). I'm having trouble picking a tablet, however, I have it narrowed down to two which I'll get to because I have an even bigger question. That question is about ecosystems. I've been reading all about the Apple/Amazon/Google/Microsoft ecosystems and how they work and each strength/weakness each have. Before I ask the question, let me give an attempt at a short back story. I was an Apple fan (and still am in many respects) for a few years. I owned 3 different iPhones, an iPad and a Macbook Pro, and for the past two years I've been telling myself "I'm ready to start collecting digital media, I want to build a digital music/movie/tvshow/book collection." I never really started that collection, which is weird, because Apple offers so much and it was all in one place which is exactly what I prefer, everything in one place. Well, in the last year, I grew out of Apple personally. Nothing against Apple or its fans, its a fantastic platform, but I never really messed with Android, but once I did, I was sold. So I thought, "with my documents, pictures and all personal files on Google, and my new love of Android, I'm going to buy into this because I like what I see and like what Google has to offer." So now I am a proud owner of a Nexus 4 and a Chromebook. And just recently my son wanted to watch a movie on our Google TV but it wasn't on Netflix so I went to purchase it digitally. But then I thought "from where? Amazon? I have a lot of TV shows there, maybe I should start my collection there." And then I thought "but I have Google products, maybe its best to stick with the Play Store so I have consistent access." I know the Google Play store is behind the curve a bit (but I assume they'll catch up, right?), and I know Amazon has a massive selection, but Amazon Instant Video isn't available for the Android phones/tablets, and I don't know if Amazon is going to limit their apps for the Google devices in the future. So this brings me to my question, I am currently deciding between a Nexus tablet or a Kindle Fire HD solely based on the ecosystem that I buy into in regards to movies, music, TV shows, books etc... I want to buy into the Google Play store, but should I be worried about its lack of content? Or should I live without the Amazon Instant Video app and the blurry future of Amazon and its compatibility with Google products and buy into Amazon? Is Google Play worth starting my collection in? Thanks for any and all input!
-michael

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Regarding Ecosystems... (Google and Amazon specifically)
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Regarding Ecosystems... (Google and Amazon specifically)
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
suggestion.....
by birdmantd Forum moderator / February 18, 2013 8:44 PM PST

In the future, try organizing your thoughts a little better. Paragraphs are a nice way to break up such a long post. Most folks will take one look at your post and move on before attempting to read it the way it is written.

Collapse -
Thank you.
by LowLevel0wl / February 19, 2013 1:17 PM PST
In reply to: suggestion.....

Agreed. Thanks for the suggestion.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.