Networking & Wireless forum

Regarding connecting datalink and netgear internet

by mdhiya / December 12, 2012 4:38 PM PST

Hi Everyone,
I am working in securtiy systems company.
I have one problem with client.
I want to connect Datalink and Netgear router internet on same PC simultaneously.

But I am unable to connect.
Can anyone give me idea how to do it?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Regarding connecting datalink and netgear internet
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Regarding connecting datalink and netgear internet
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Re: internet
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 12, 2012 4:53 PM PST

- There's only one Internet, so there isn't a 'Datalink internet' and a 'Netgear router internet'.
- I know what a router is, but what is Datalink?
- How do you try to do it, and why are you unable to do it?
- Why do you want to do it?

Collapse -
internet netgear router... and datalink is just for data
by mdhiya / December 12, 2012 8:18 PM PST
In reply to: Re: internet

I have one data line for local use, and one internet, i have connected cctv on local data link, i want to use both data and internet simultaneously because I want to access other CCTV with public IP.

Collapse -
complex networking
by bill012 / December 12, 2012 9:20 PM PST

You may if it is really complex need a small commercial router to do this.

But lets assume it is somewhat simpler.

You cannot really have your PC on 2 real networks unless you have 2 nic cards and even that is complex.

So what you would do is assign both router a IP in you lan network. Say and and say your pc is You need to cable the lan ports of the routers together.

What you do is on the router that DOES NOT go to the internet you disable DHCP and let the main router give you devices IP.

Now the nasty part is on your PC you must define all the networks that are behind the second router. This is CMD line option. So you would do something like
This would send these addresses to the second router. This tends to be a huge pain when you have a number of machines to do this on or if there are lots of addresses. You also most likely need to add this to a startup thing to have them added when you reboot the machine

Collapse -
how to add this thing on startup
by mdhiya / December 12, 2012 9:50 PM PST
In reply to: complex networking

so if I want to access data from internet with ip

i should go to cmd and write route add mask

so what I have done setup as.. I have connect ethernet wire from main router to data only router.. and ethernet cable from data only router to PC.

then also this thing will work??

and how to add this thing in startup..??

Thanks for your help

Collapse -
by bill012 / December 12, 2012 10:21 PM PST

AHH no that is a different question.

It is pretty simple for your PC to have access to both network. Now you want someone on the internet to have access.

Now you have the routing problem in addition to the NAT problem and most consumer routers do not have the ability to do this.

So if we assume you router can do this. You would first have to put a route in the router tell it to send all traffic for to Next you would need to NAT/portforward the traffic to
I know how to do this on a commercial cisco router but I can't begin to guess how to do this on a consumer router. I would suspect you will need something like a DD-WRT firmware to even have a chance

Collapse -
by mdhiya / December 12, 2012 10:54 PM PST
In reply to: NAT

see i just want to access both data and internet on same PC. i.e internet and local ip on same PC. but problem is both have different gateways.

Will Route command be able to solve this problem??

sorry for bothering u

Collapse -
Yes. I could use 2 nics, route, dhcp off and
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 12, 2012 11:47 PM PST
In reply to: listen

A day to refresh my memory and get the script working. Your IT staffer should set it up in a day or less.

Collapse -
Commercial set up
by pgc3 / December 12, 2012 11:29 PM PST
In reply to: NAT

From what I have read on this issue, I think you are correct, the other hingepin is whether he is trying to do a duplex or simplex link/hook up. I am thinking a base unit such as he is trying to deal with won't cut the mustard.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.