TVs & Home Theaters

General discussion

Refurbished TV's good deal or not?

by BiggerEd / October 18, 2006 1:34 PM PDT

While shopping around for new projection TV's I noted that factory refurbished units are considerably less than new from places like Second Act. I also noticed that the extended warranties through sites like this are quite a bit less for the same time period than those sold with new units.

What experience has anyone had with buying a refurbished TV and the associated extended waranties? I bought a refurbished A/V receiver several years ago, couldn't tell it wasn't new, saved a lot and have never had a problem with it. Thanks in advance.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Refurbished TV's good deal or not?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Refurbished TV's good deal or not?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) NOT !!!!
by Riverledge / October 18, 2006 1:44 PM PDT
Collapse -
Refurbished TV's good deal or not?
by jcrobso / October 19, 2006 2:15 AM PDT

Well there is a big difference between a refurb AV reciver and a refurb HDTV.
It is a gamble, Make very sure the warrenty is realy GOOD.
What brands? If it's a Panny or Sony then it might be OK.
But not a Gateway! John

Collapse -
Yes!, and....
by Dan Filice / October 19, 2006 4:42 AM PDT

I always worry that a "refurbished" home theater component may be a lemon, aka an automobile lemon. Just because it's "refurbished" doesn't mean the problem has been permanently fixed. Personally, I'll pay a little more knowing that I have a "new" component, and I'll take my chances with my own warranty. Speaking of warranty's, how do you know that the "refurbished" component wasn't one of those that were replaced under a warranty from Best Buy, Costco, etc. that states "if we can't fix it after X-number of tries, we'll replace it." You may buy the un-fixable unit that supposedly got "fixed." It's a piece-of-mind thing with me.

Collapse -
Probably
by NM_Bill / October 19, 2006 11:16 AM PDT

the discount couldn't be drastic enough to compensate for the HUGE gamble.

Refurbs are nearly always done to the standard called "plug & play." It's actually self-explanatory. Technicians are rushed for productivity. They analyse to find a problem. The 1st one they encounter receives a quick fix. Then it's plugged in to see if it plays - at all that is. Not bench tested over time. Not to see if all functions work exactly as they should. If it seems to play when plugged in, it's out the door.

Probably with a short warranty if from the manufacturer. Remember, this unit has already proven to be a problem unit.

The more high tech the product, the riskier it is due to increased complexity. And, Second Act appears to be new with no track record. I wouldn't be inclined to touch them with a proverbial 10 foot pole.

Perhaps you got lucky with the refurb receiver. Perhaps it actually was designated so by having only an exterior blemish.

If coming with a merchant's warranty, do you have to ship it to who knows where? To be worked on by whom? Is that warranty worth the paper it's written on?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.